Portillo

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Sydney

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:26 AM

Well I find myself on a 'creation vs evolution' forum discussion looking at recommended books, and what do I find? I find people recommending books by Lee Strobel, Jonathan Wells, Ken Ham, Geoffrey Simmons, Tom Sutcliff, Vance Ferrell, Jack Cuozzo, Norman Geisler, Frank Turek, and various others, many of whom I've never heard of.
What do all of these people have in common? Well not a single one of them is a scientist (I include Wells in this as despite his PhD he does not work at any scientific research institution and if he has ever published any peer-reviewed work it was a long time ago and it didn't provide support for his nonsensical claims). If I want to learn about history I would go to a historian, if I want to know about law I go to a lawyer, and if I want to know about science I go to a scientist. Why do creationists insist on this completely irresponsible method of reading any old hack irrespective of what their qualifications are, as long as the work agrees with their preconceived ideas? There are plenty of good scientists who have published books explaining evolution, if only you would read what they have to say. If you want to know about evolution, try reading books by people who actually work in the subject and study it, not unqualified Christian apologists.
The only person that would be considered a scientist, and whose work was actually taken slightly seriously, of those you have mentioned, would be Michael Behe, and even he accepts common descent. His claim about irreducible complexity is not accepted by the rest of the scientific community, and even the rest of his department at Lehigh have distanced themselves from his views.
If you want to know about the fossil record read Evolution: What The Fossils Say and Why it Really Matters by Donald Prothero. He has been working in palaeontology for 30 years and so he has handled and personally worked with the fossils he talks about. Don't read some garbage by Geoffrey Simmons who is a doctor for crying out loud.
Other books by respected scientists that I would recommend are; The Making of the Fittest by Sean Carroll, Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne, and Your Inner Fish by Neil Shubin. These are all well respected scientists who work at respected institutions and represent the scientific consensus.

Thats a common argument, that scientists are the only people allowed to discuss science. After all we are not intellectuals like they are and in fact the scientists have contempt towards the public, particularly when so many refuse to believe in evolution.

#82 Portillo

Portillo

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Sydney

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:28 AM

I would recommend you read "The greatest show on earth", by Richard Dawkins.

If the creationists here would read it, you could pretty much close down the forum!

Not really. We would just read The Greatest Hoax on Earth by Jonathan Sarfati.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users