Matter And Stuff

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

#41 lwj2op2

lwj2op2

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Country, friends.<br />Apologetics, though not well versed.<br />Health, running, bike riding, outdoors.<br />Divorced (by my wife) father of four-23s, 20d, 18s &amp; 13s.<br />Remarried 2 more kiddos 6d, 4s<br />River Boat Captain about 16 years on the Colorado.<br />Power Plant operator at a Geothermal site, just past 5 years.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Ridgecrest, California

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:30 PM

Thank you for a succinct answer to my question.  I, however do not accept the bible as the inspired word of any deity so this argument does not really hold much weight.

View Post

View Post

Your belief is not required for the Bible to be accurate. Which I'm sure you knew. Just as My dis-belief in the unproved ToE has no bearing on whether it occurred or not.

You asked the question. The answer was given. A question about any deity can only be answered within context of the writings concerning the religion based on the deity. Surely you must have expected the bible used to explain an aspect of God.

I will try to give an answer within the boundaries you seem to require. I desire to invent a new life form. I build a secure area and establish complete control over the contents and environment and any interaction with the exterior environment. There is no method for the life to form or the environment to affect me. Even my interaction is set in such a manner that I can maintain 100% one way contact and allow interaction which can be discontinued instantly.
The interior environment cannot affect me. Though simplistic in the extreme, that is why God is not affected, He is in control of all effects.

#42 trilobyte

trilobyte

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Christian
  • Philly

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:31 AM

serenity2511,
Are you saying that the bible doesn't teach that God always existed?

You have no way out. Either the matter in the universe always existed...or it was created.

#43 jason78

jason78

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Birmingham, UK

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:54 AM

serenity2511,
Are you saying that the bible doesn't teach that God always existed?

You have no way out. Either the matter in the universe always existed...or it was created.

View Post

Lets assume that it was created. How would you go about showing that it was your particular god that created it and not some other god or natural process?

#44 lwj2op2

lwj2op2

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Country, friends.<br />Apologetics, though not well versed.<br />Health, running, bike riding, outdoors.<br />Divorced (by my wife) father of four-23s, 20d, 18s &amp; 13s.<br />Remarried 2 more kiddos 6d, 4s<br />River Boat Captain about 16 years on the Colorado.<br />Power Plant operator at a Geothermal site, just past 5 years.
  • Christian
  • Ridgecrest, California

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:38 AM

Lets assume that it was created.  How would you go about showing that it was your particular god that created it and not some other god or natural process?

View Post

Prophecy. Biblical against any other source.

#45 jason78

jason78

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Birmingham, UK

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:57 AM

Prophecy.  Biblical against any other source.

View Post

How can you have a prophecy about something that has already happened?

#46 trilobyte

trilobyte

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Christian
  • Philly

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:13 PM

lwj2op2, you beat me to the punch. I was thinkinbg the same thing. Prophecy.
There's also the historical accurcy of the bible.

Jason, what about the prophecy that came true?

#47 jason78

jason78

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Birmingham, UK

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:17 PM

lwj2op2, you beat me to the punch. I was thinkinbg the same thing.  Prophecy.
There's also the historical accurcy of the bible.

Jason, what about the prophecy that came true?

View Post

The Oracle at Delphi was said to be the home of some of the most accurate prophets of all time. It's also backed up by history. So how do you now choose between Zeus and Jesus?

#48 trilobyte

trilobyte

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Christian
  • Philly

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:21 PM

The Oracle at Delphi was said to be the home of some of the most accurate prophets of all time.  It's also backed up by history.  So how do you now choose between Zeus and Jesus?

View Post

Because if Zeus was real...he was created by Jesus.

#49 Guest_serenity2511_*

Guest_serenity2511_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:00 PM

Whatever God is, he something that trancends the physical universe.  He exists outside of it, but I think the Bible teaches that he also permeates it, and holds it together.

Terry

View Post

If God truly transcends and permeates the entire physical universe, then what difference does it make whether I believe in him or not? Why do you think He insists that I believe in and worship Him if He cannot help but be a part of me?

Also, if God permeates the entire universe, what makes Christianity the one, true way of worshiping Him? If he is a part of everything, isn't the mere act of living enough worship?

I apologize for the tardiness of my response. I meant to respond to your post a few weeks ago.

#50 trilobyte

trilobyte

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Christian
  • Philly

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:31 PM

serenity2511,
Once again, God is not a tree, or a rock...or you.
That is what the bible teaches.

Now God is omnipresent...he's there at the tree, rock and you, but He isn't the tree rock or you.

Now as one becomes a Christian, the Holy Spirit (God) comes and lives in you.

#51 Guest_serenity2511_*

Guest_serenity2511_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:06 PM

serenity2511,
Once again, God is not a  tree, or a rock...or you.

I didn't say God was a tree, rock, nor me. I said He is a part of everything, which is what "permeates" means. Which would mean that everyone, even an atheist like me, has no choice as to whether God is a part of them or not.

Now God is omnipresent...he's there at the tree, rock and you, but He  isn't the tree rock or you.

God is there "at" the rock, tree, etc.? What does that mean?

Now as one becomes a Christian, the Holy Spirit (God) comes and lives in you.

So despite the Christian doctrine that says God created everything, He leaves those whom don't believe in Him. Is that what you're saying? I'm just trying to clarify.

View Post

#52 trilobyte

trilobyte

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Christian
  • Philly

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:23 PM

serenity2511
So despite the Christian doctrine that says God created everything, He leaves those whom don't believe in Him. Is that what you're saying? I'm just trying to clarify.

That would be incorrect. It is you who have left God...Not God who has left you.

It is you who have said, God, I don't want you in my life. Infact God I don't even think you exist.....by default, you tell God you want to live a life seperated from him.
God will not force your hand. God has given you freewill...YOU have choosen to live with out him.

REV 3:20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

You choose not to open the door. You refuse to hear His voice.

#53 Guest_serenity2511_*

Guest_serenity2511_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:17 PM

That would be incorrect. It is you who have left God...Not God who has left you.

It is you who have said, God, I don't want you in my life. Infact God I don't even think you exist.....by default, you tell God you want to live a life seperated from him.
God will not force your hand. God has given you freewill...YOU have choosen to live with out him.

But if God truly created and currently permeates everything, including me, how can I ever hope to entirely extricate His being from mine?

You choose not to open the door. You refuse to hear His voice.

If God truly pervades the entirety of the universe, shouldn't His voice be ever in my ear, nearly inescapable? Why would it matter if I don't, "open the door"?

View Post

#54 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:54 PM

But if God truly created and currently permeates everything, including me, how can I ever hope to entirely extricate His being from mine? 

That is new age teaching that God is in everything. Sorry, the true Christian belief does not adhere to this.

If God truly pervades the entirety of the universe, shouldn't His voice be ever in my ear, nearly inescapable?  Why would it matter if I don't, "open the door"?

View Post

View Post

God does not force Himself upon man. But he has pre-chosen people from time to time. But for the majority of us, it is our choice. And what ever we choose, He will respect that. Would you want a God that forces your hand to believe in Him? Or would you prefer choice?

Is it not your choice to come here, debate about God, but yet reject Him? That right there proves that we all have choice regardless of what some people preach and teach about this.

If you want to read up on some wrong biblical theology, that often confuses both the believer and non-believer, which makes it interesting. Type in the word predestination into a search engine. What you read on those pages will probably amuse you. Because the debate over this is just as hot an item between believers, as evolution vs creation is between believers and non-believers.

The main confusing point of the whole issue is that no one really understands eternity. So therefore they believe that things said about eternity apply to the non-eternity side of things. And that is where predestination emerged from, along with Calvinism.

#55 trilobyte

trilobyte

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Christian
  • Philly

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:40 PM

serenity2511, with all due respect, your arguments are pretty sad.

still, you cling to your strawman argument...why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users