A Respectful Question To Atheists

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

#1 Mirrordin

Mirrordin

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Biology, biochemistry, the bible proclaimings its message and loving God
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • San Diego California

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:14 AM

Hi I ask this question and make these statements as respectfully as possible. No I'm not even here to convert you or talking about my religion.

So I've seen many atheists claim that the word atheist just means one who doesn't believe in any god or gods some also claim disbelief in the supernatural.
So what happens everytime an atheist reads a book by dawkins like "Th god delusion"?
See that book isn't directed at christians because most christians or believers in anything wouldn't buy it.
Now why would they target those who simply dont believe in any god or gods?
Because of course the book is about not belief in any god so what better audience than atheists? Makes sense

However we know that you cant fill hundreds of pages saying "I dont believe in any god niether should you" Obviously the book talks about other things in an extremely fanatical way and thats where atheism and evolution become a religion.

So the question is are you just an average perosn who doesn't believe in any god or gods? Or do you open up the books written by Dawkins and the likes? Because if you do I dont think you can call yourself an atheist any longer. Especially if you are a dawkins atheist and have such huge disrespect and hatred for religious people like he does. Would that be correct to call you an atheist?

Definitions of religion
religion usually encompasses a set of stories, symbols, beliefs and practices, often with a supernatural quality, that give meaning to the practitioner's experiences of life through reference to an ultimate power or reality.[1] It may be expressed through prayer, ritual, meditation, music and art, among other things. It may focus on specific supernatural, metaphysical, and moral claims about reality (the cosmos, and human nature) which may yield a set of religious laws, ethics, and a particular lifestyle. Religion also encompasses ancestral or cultural traditions, writings, history, and mythology, as well as personal faith and religious experience.

values and practices transmitted by a spiritual leader
any specific system of belief and worship, often involving a code of ethics and a philosophy

#2 jason78

jason78

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Birmingham, UK

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:05 AM

So the question is are you just an average perosn who doesn't believe in any god or gods?

View Post

Yes.

#3 Mirrordin

Mirrordin

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Biology, biochemistry, the bible proclaimings its message and loving God
  • Christian
  • San Diego California

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:26 PM

Yes.

View Post

Then I can safely assume you've never read any of the work by Dawkins, Sam harris, Hitchens etc?

Also you being just an ordinary person who doesn't believe in any god or gods what would YOU consider Richard Dawkins and why?

#4 Mirrordin

Mirrordin

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Christian
  • San Diego California

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

My apologies for putting this in creation vs evolution because it should probably be under general conversation also even though I've used the edit button before I cant find it for the life of me sorry for the double post

See I've found the edit button it wasn't showing up for my other posts though.

#5 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:30 PM

My apologies for putting this in creation vs evolution because it should probably be under general conversation also even though I've used the edit button before I cant find it for the life of me sorry for the double post

See I've found the edit button  it wasn't showing up for my other posts though.

View Post

Moved to Miscellaneous. :)

#6 Mirrordin

Mirrordin

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Christian
  • San Diego California

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:35 PM

Thank you :)

#7 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:00 PM

Thank you :)

View Post

You're welcome.

I think you'll find that atheists are so fiercely independent. I have found that most atheists hold on to ideas loosely enough that they can simply reject them as not necessarily their personal ideas which makes the conversation grossly ambiguous because atheists like to make claims without holding on to any particular or specific idea out of fear that it can be shown wrong.

Atheists really are committed to agnosticism when the chips are down. It's just one big relativistic world with no meaning... whatever that means. :) :)

#8 jason78

jason78

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Birmingham, UK

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:54 AM

Then I can safely assume you've never read any of the work by Dawkins, Sam harris, Hitchens etc?
Also you being just an ordinary person who doesn't believe in any god or gods what would YOU consider Richard Dawkins and why?

View Post

What does that have to do with my not believing in gods?

#9 Mirrordin

Mirrordin

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Christian
  • San Diego California

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:16 AM

What does that have to do with my not believing in gods?

View Post

You tell me since atheists are the ones targeted by this literature.

#10 jason78

jason78

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Birmingham, UK

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:34 AM

You tell me since atheists are the ones targeted by this literature.

View Post

I don't know, I've not read it.

#11 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:33 AM

I don't know, I've not read it.

View Post

Are there any atheists that you would consider mentors in the way you choose to form your thoughts?

#12 jason78

jason78

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Birmingham, UK

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:29 AM

Are there any atheists that you would consider mentors in the way you choose to form your thoughts?

View Post

No. An atheist is just what I am. I'm not an atheist because some one else told me to be one, or because all the other cool kids were doing it. It's just what I am. A person that does not believe in gods.

#13 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:55 AM

No.  An atheist is just what I am...

...It's just what I am.  A person that does not believe in gods.

View Post

So you expect us to believe that there has been no outside influence on your life. :huh:

#14 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:57 AM

No.  An atheist is just what I am.

View Post

I was kind of hoping you would entertain this thread that your thoughts contributed to:

http://www.evolution...?showtopic=2026

If atheism can be so individualistic what is your basis of questioning anyone's prior commitment to an atheistic belief in their past?

#15 Mirrordin

Mirrordin

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Christian
  • San Diego California

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:22 PM

I guess I shouldn't have expected serious answers or any consideration or thought on what I've pointed out. Such as even if you are just an average person who doesn't believe in any god or gods who is Richard Dawkins?

#16 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:37 PM

Hi I ask this question and make these statements as respectfully as possible. No I'm not even here to convert you or talking about my religion.

View Post

Hi Mirrordin,

I was just wondering... don't you want people to be converted? I'm rather hostile to the idea of my fellow man, who's fearfully and wonderfully made, believing lies. I want to see people converted to the truth, myself.

Just a thought... :huh:

We have nothing to be ashamed of if we're simply trying to tell people the truth.

#17 Mirrordin

Mirrordin

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Christian
  • San Diego California

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:41 PM

Hi Mirrordin,

I was just wondering... don't you want people to be converted? I'm rather hostile to the idea of my fellow man, who's fearfully and wonderfully made, believing lies. I want to see people converted to the truth, myself.

Just a thought...  :huh:

We have nothing to be ashamed of if we're simply trying to tell people the truth.

View Post

Oh of course I want people to be converted I haven't been saved for long but that is not the goal of this thread I actaully wanted critical thinking on the subject but I guess we'll only get blind eyes turned towards it.

#18 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:54 PM

Oh of course I want people to be converted I haven't been saved for long...

View Post

That's awesome! I'll pray for you. You found a good forum to look at things critically and to realize how powerful and perfect God's Word is.

I actaully wanted critical thinking on the subject  but I guess we'll only get blind eyes turned towards it.

View Post

Have you ever seen this seminar?

You'll enjoy it. I noticed that you're still pretty young but I have a feeling you'll find this meaningful because people your age today keep surprising me, how much you guys get it.

Ravi Zacharias cuts to the heart of the mire that the post-modern relativist finds himself/herself stuck in intellectually. It goes right along with:

7 Ever learning , and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

#19 Mirrordin

Mirrordin

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Christian
  • San Diego California

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:57 PM

The seminar you posted earlier on homosexaulity was great. I was an sort of an atheist for a long time its hard to explain because deep down I couldn't deny the existence of God I think I used it as a cover to do whatever I want. But I'm saved and believe that the Bible is truely the word of God the only God. This forum has been amazing to me thanks.

#20 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:03 PM

The seminar you posted earlier on homosexaulity was great. I was an sort of an atheist for a long time its hard to explain because deep down I couldn't deny the existence of God I think I used it as a cover to do whatever I want. But I'm saved and believe that the Bible is truely the word of God the only God. This forum has been amazing to me thanks.

View Post

How newly born are you? :huh: When did you receive Christ as your savior?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users