• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:12 PM

Posted Image Attached File  Big_skull_flip.jpg   10.45KB   14 downloads

There is a big difference between your pic and mine.

#22 assist24

assist24

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • United States

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:52 PM

There is a big difference between your pic and mine.

Your particular skull photo comes from the Regional Museum of Ica, in Peru. That's what the letters "MRI" on the skull stands for in Spanish. It's part of a display of Mayan deformed skulls. Here is a clearer shot where you can see the description in Spanish on the specimen card.

Posted Image

Here is link to the museum main web page, but I had to run it through Google Bablefish to translate it which hosed the formatting. Click on the "deformation of Skulls" bullet on the lower right to see the whole display.

Posted Image

Regional Museum of Ica

Here is another recent article from Archaeology magazine on the same skull deformation Mayan tradition.

Mayan Extreme Makeover

Enjoy!

#23 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:10 PM

How long did the incas live (lifespan)?

Or does anyone know?

#24 assist24

assist24

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • United States

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:25 PM

How long did the incas live (lifespan)?

Or does anyone know?

Mayan, not Incan. Easy mistake to make. ;)

Not much out there on the web, but the single source I could find ( An environmental history of the world, Johnson Donald Hughes) cited an average lifespan in the 30's with a 40% infant mortality rate.

A short, brutal life.

#25 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:42 PM

If that's true that was a lot of skull stretching. I hope our society never gets that obcessed with beauty. There are already the neck stretchers. add to it theskull stretchers and we might as well all go to the looney ben.

#26 RobotArchie

RobotArchie

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • London, UK

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:32 AM

If that's true that was a lot of skull stretching. I hope our society never gets that obcessed with beauty. There are already the neck stretchers. add to it theskull stretchers and we might as well all go to the looney ben.

View Post

It's been suggested from the other artifacts which usually accompany these elongated skulls in graves that they belong to a group of high priests and priestesses whose cult objectives were not strictly to do with notions of 'beauty' so much as giving the outward appearence of 'other worldliness'....... as a means of establishing their 'special relationship' and direct connections with the Gods over the simpler people who filled their bellies and bolstered the decadent lifestyles which lead to such drastic self mutilations in the course of their service.

It's thought the mothers of the priests tightly strapped pieces of wood to the sides of the babies heads whilst the bone was still soft and this forced the skulls to then emerge in this way. Not too dissimilar a process to the later oriental practise of foot binding for royal concubines......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)