Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • Judaism non-orthodox
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Raleigh, NC

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:02 AM

Oh, by the way, TJ, can you show me where it says that the Law is death?

#262 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts
  • Interests:I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

Seatbelt laws? We are commanded to obey the civil authorities in the Renewed Covenant. Obviously there were no cars in the ancient times but we can look at a similar law to illustrate the point.

Dig, please re-read what TJ wrote, then read what you wrote above. Can't you see how this is a strawman of TJ's position?

#263 Dig4gold

Dig4gold

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • Judaism non-orthodox
  • Raleigh, NC

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:16 AM

No I can't really, Fred. Do you have any clarification?

#264 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts
  • Interests:I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

No I can't really, Fred. Do you have any clarification?

TJ's point is that we don't need seat belt laws to fasten our kids up. So whether or not there exists such a law or we are commanded to obey such a law is completely beside the point (you're wrong on that one too, we are only to honor civil and criminal laws if they are moral). Another example - We don't need a law against pot to tell our kids not to smoke the stuff. We do so not because any law encourages us, we do so because we love our kids.

Fred

#265 Dig4gold

Dig4gold

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • Judaism non-orthodox
  • Raleigh, NC

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Fred: TJ's point is that we don't need seat belt laws to fasten our kids up. So whether or not there exists such a law or we are commanded to obey such a law is completely beside the point (you're wrong on that one too, we are only to honor civil and criminal laws if they are moral).

First off, thanks for the clarificatiion. Next, thanks for getting the website back. Thirdly, I want my icon back! I noticed you had yours back, what happened to "membership has its privileges"?

Anyway, back to topic. There seems to be a disconnect as to the correct motivation of keeping the Law. It sounds rather confusing to me. Don't get me wrong I understand a part of it. The part that says I can be good enough to earn my way to God is easy to condemn.

What about the part that says, "I'm doing this not because you told me to but because I want to." That almost sounds as pretentious as saying I can work my way to God.  

What about the person who says, "I don't understand this but because You told me to - I will."? Is there a place for that kind of faith?

Just some questions. By the way, I think seat belt laws are moral but they may not be constitutional.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users