Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:20 AM

I want this thread to catalog the growing number of cases where Christians are being singled out legal, financially or socially for their religious/political views. It's amazing how people who love the skewed ideas of multi-culturalism will not hesitate to shut up Christians, with their multi-culturalism shut off, and then turn around to say their doing it because they want to protect the free speech of others. :blink:

Let the cases be shown:

http://www.onenewsno....aspx?id=576612

#2 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:23 AM

I'm not sure if we've brought this up here before but this is just disturbing:

http://www.10news.co...217/detail.html

Now if you're an unbeliever and think; "Hey, Christians have done stuff like this in the past." In cases where the tables have turned I would stand opposed to any proclaiming Christian trying to accomplish the same type of limitation and I would be equally appalled. My question is are you appalled at the above cases or are you kind happy to see it happen?

#3 Bruce V.

Bruce V.

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Northern Califiornia

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:32 PM

I want this thread to catalog the growing number of cases where Christians are being singled out legal, financially or socially for their religious/political views. It's amazing how people who love the skewed ideas of multi-culturalism will not hesitate to shut up Christians, with their multi-culturalism shut off, and then turn around to say their doing it because they want to protect the free speech of others. :blink:

Let the cases be shown:

View Post

Hi Adam,

Fired for being too patriotic. I think they fired the wrong teacher.

Bruce

#4 Bruce V.

Bruce V.

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Northern Califiornia

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:50 PM

I'm not sure if we've brought this up here before but this is just disturbing:

http://www.10news.co...217/detail.html

Now if you're an unbeliever and think; "Hey, Christians have done stuff like this in the past." In cases where the tables have turned I would stand opposed to any proclaiming Christian trying to accomplish the same type of limitation and I would be equally appalled. My question is are you appalled at the above cases or are you kind happy to see it happen?

View Post

Hi Adam,

Having a Bible study in your home. Wow.

As a Gideon I have several examples of open hostility toward Christians.

Two months ago I gave a New Testament to a young man entering a Mendocino Community college. The mother saw this got out of the car and yelled at me for 45 minutes. I mean she was in like a drill Sargent, just 2 inches from my face. She was down right ugly in her hatred for Christians.

The other day I passed a Spanish Bible out at the pear festival. The man was very grateful for the gift. However there was this older lady who witnessed the transaction. She looked like she squalled a bottle of lime juice. She was discussed to the core that someone would be passing out Bibles.

God still uses us in mysterious ways. I was at Yuba college. I had some hotel Bibles that I wanted to give to Dale, a fellow Gideon, to distribute to a hotel he drives by everyday to work. He told me to put the Bibles in a white station-wagon. I did and then I asked Dale if he owned a Subaru. he told me no, so I had to retrieve the Bibles.

When I was in the process of retrieving the Bibles the owner of the car came outside. He was not happy, he was huge and looked like he belonged to the hells angles.. He thought I was planting drugs in his car. I opened the box and showed him the Bibles. He asked for a Bible and became a Christian shortly thereafter. God works in mysterious ways.

#5 Guest_Anghellik9_*

Guest_Anghellik9_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:56 PM

Let the cases be shown:

View Post

I wish the article had actually posted a link to his website, so we could actually see how bad/trivial it actually was.

I fully support the mans freedom of speech, however the site that children go on to look at their test scores and homework listings is not the place to post your political ideals. I still don't think the man should be fired though.

And for Adam's second one, that's ridiculous.

#6 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:57 PM

God still uses us in mysterious ways.  I was at Yuba college.  I had some hotel Bibles that I wanted to give to Dale, a fellow Gideon, to distribute to a hotel he drives by everyday to work.  He told me to put the Bibles in a white station-wagon.  I did and then I asked Dale if he owned a Subaru. he told me no, so I had to retrieve the Bibles.

When I was in the process of retrieving the Bibles the owner of the car came outside.  He was not happy, he was huge and looked like he belonged to the hells angles..  He thought I was planting drugs in his car.  I opened the box and showed him the Bibles.  He asked for a Bible and became a Christian shortly thereafter.  God works in mysterious ways.

View Post

That's a cool testimony. God does do things in mysterious ways and I love hanging on for the ride. His surprises and gifts are always better than my plans. :blink:

#7 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:59 PM

I fully support the mans freedom of speech, however the site that children go on to look at their test scores and homework listings is not the place to post your political ideals.

View Post

Would you consider how this opinion, in itself, is a political ideal?

#8 Guest_Anghellik9_*

Guest_Anghellik9_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:03 PM

Would you consider how this opinion, in itself, is a political ideal?

View Post

Pardon? Are you to my post supporting his freedom of speech, your post in response, or the mans site?

#9 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:04 PM

Pardon? Are you to my post supporting his freedom of speech, your post in response, or the mans site?

View Post

Could you rephrase this before I respond? I'm assuming you're wanting to know what I'm talking about? The site the men operated was a selfless option for students to utilize which was his own effort. The school had no business telling him what to do with it.

#10 Guest_Anghellik9_*

Guest_Anghellik9_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:10 PM

Could you rephrase this before I respond? I'm assuming you're wanting to know what I'm talking about? The site the men operated was a selfless option for students to utilize which was his own effort. The school had no business telling him what to do with it.

View Post

And I applaud him for doing so. However, as it is directly school-related, he should have kept his personal political opinion off of the site. Take it elsewhere. Although I do agree that he should not have been fired over it.

#11 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:22 PM

And I applaud him for doing so. However, as it is directly school-related, he should have kept his personal political opinion off of the site. Take it elsewhere. Although I do agree that he should not have been fired over it.

View Post

The school had no jurisdiction over how he handled that site. Whether they liked it or not, whether it was set up as an aid for his students or not, they had no business telling him anything to do with that site. Period, end of story, his rights were violated and the school should pay for violating his rights.

If a public school teacher sets up a site on Young Earth Creationism privately and tells his students that they can access parts of the curricula on his site if they wish, because that's where he stores such data, there is no law or person that has a right to demand anything. It's not their place to execute a single action when he is not breaking a single law.

#12 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:27 PM

You see Anghe, I don't know how things are in Canada but here in the USA the separation of church and state, the way it is commonly understood today, is a myth perpetuated on ignorance. There is no such saying on the law books. Did you know that Creationists can speak to classrooms during public school time in the USA as long as the parties involved are aware of their rights and not chicken when the ACLU is breathing down their necks?

Eric H*vind just spoke to a room full of fourth graders close to where I live about a month ago during class time. All this in the state that the now famous Dover trial took place. :blink:

#13 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:06 PM

I'd hate to disagree with you Adam, but I do and here's why.

Teachers are employees o the state. But one difference is that they are managers because they manage children. Which makes them an employed representation of how the state handles children.

There is a huge difference between management and employee. Management is a direct representation of the employer. And employee is not. So in that aspect the employee would have more rights than management.

So upon the teacher putting up a website on their own, and expressing his personal views to other people (kids) to whom his employment gives him contact with. Makes his actions, and his website "work related" and not personal.

If you give a teacher this type of freedom to express their views to kids. Then you also allow the weirdos to do the same. Because if you allow a teacher with good intensions to do it, the one with bad intensions can use the other as an example discreminaton and sue over it.

We may not like it, but it's the world we live in.

#14 falcone

falcone

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Scotland

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:35 AM

It's become increasingly difficult for teachers to do anything other than teach the prescribed syllabus for fear of overstepping the mark.

But, you have to distinguish between a teacher introducing "personality" and a teacher expressing what may be considered inappropriate views. Kids are impressionable, and we don't them getting any funny ideas, right? What we need to be very careful of is situations where teachers use their position as a platform for political recruitment and so on.

There isn't much information on what Latham actually did or said, and yes, it's a pity there was no link to his website. Allegedly, he compared Obama to Hitler.

Incidentally, he got his job back.

#15 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:27 AM

Incidentally, he got his job back.

View Post

That is fantastic news indeed ;)

#16 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:36 AM

You see Anghe, I don't know how things are in Canada but here in the USA the separation of church and state, the way it is commonly understood today, is a myth perpetuated on ignorance. There is no such saying on the law books. Did you know that Creationists can speak to classrooms during public school time in the USA as long as the parties involved are aware of their rights and not chicken when the ACLU is breathing down their necks?

View Post

The separation of Church and State myth has reached epic proportions in this nation. And, in its current form and definition, bears no resemblance to Thomas Jefferson's words to the Danbury Baptists. Nor is it a reflection of anything in the “First Amendment” of our Constitution when it says “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof”. So because if this, citizens like Eric H*vind can speak freely!

Eric H*vind just spoke to a room full of fourth graders close to where I live about a month ago during class time. All this in the state that the now famous Dover trial took place. ;)

View Post

Did you get the chance to attend Adam?

#17 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:20 AM

Did you get the chance to attend Adam?

View Post

How close is Union City to you, Ron? Yeah, I attended two of the three nightly sessions that were held at the Union City Public High School auditorium. In some ways he's a chip off the old block and yet he is showing that he has his own interests and his own angle. I talk about it:

http://www.evolution...?showtopic=2311

#18 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:50 AM

How close is Union City to you, Ron? Yeah, I attended two of the three nightly sessions that were held at the Union City Public High School auditorium. In some ways he's a chip off the old block and yet he is showing that he has his own interests and his own angle. I talk about it:

http://www.evolution...?showtopic=2311

View Post

I have no idea where Union City is Adam. And, unfortunately, I have been absent from Pennsylvania for over a year now, as I am in teaching capacity for the military. So I only get home on the weekends (and when possible).

I was mainly wondering if there are any links to that particular occasion.

#19 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:54 AM

I have no idea where Union City is Adam. And, unfortunately, I have been absent from Pennsylvania for over a year now, as I am in teaching capacity for the military. So I only get home on the weekends (and when possible).

I was mainly wondering if there are any links to that particular occasion.

View Post

When I get time I will put Eric H*vind's "God Quest" talk on Youtube and link it here since nobody has it out there yet.

BTW, thanks for your service, brother.

#20 Guest_Alcatraz_*

Guest_Alcatraz_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:04 AM

I have no idea where Union City is Adam. And, unfortunately, I have been absent from Pennsylvania for over a year now, as I am in teaching capacity for the military. So I only get home on the weekends (and when possible)....

View Post

Ron,

Ssshhh.

Remember. Top Secret!!!! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users