#21 Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:00 AM

Hi Alcatraz.  The problem may not be mis-translating.  It may be a problem of understanding.  My favorite verse to show this is;

Luke 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Reading Jesus clearly indicates that to hate your family is the only way to be a disciple.  But this is not reasonable in context of the entire teaching of Jesus.  Knowing this you might be led to research an answer to the conumdrum.  You will find that the original intent of the phrase is that you must love your family less than you love Jesus.  This follows a pattern found through the Bible; God, family, neighbors, community, etc.

Why is it not changed to be a more accurate translation?  I have never received an answer I am confident repeating.

Hope it helps

View Post

All good points Larry. I might just add that misunderstanding is a type of mistranslation (because it’s a disconnect in understanding the context based on not only the sentence structure, and surrounding paragraphs information, but the historical information and connotation as well. Also, there is a matter of dialect (both current and historical). It can be as difficult as someone from the Bronx New York talking to someone from Valdosta Georgia. Except, we are also using inferences from the generally Aramaic and/or Hebrew/Greek speaking folk of the time.

More goes into translation than you’re going to find in a direct word for word translation (say an interlinear Bible for instance). But, it’s a good place to start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users