Photo

Occam's Razor. Does An Informal Argument...

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,000 posts
  • Interests:Completed BBiotech (Honours)

Currently studying Masters of Teaching.

Enjoys games of tactics and strategy.
  • (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

And what friend would that be? Sounds to me like you came here with preconceptions about the forum just looking for an excuse to take offense, make a spectacle, and storm off in a huff. Eight posts (one of which you apparently deleted as an "oops"), and on the fourth one you're lecturing us about love?

Totally agree. Rather than admit he needs to open his mind he'd prefer to find some minor excuse to blame others...

• Ron likes this

#42 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

Word magic my friends. My friend was quite right, not only are you afraid to open your minds a little bit, but you are quite offensive. I believe Paul says something about not having love and being a clanging cymbal. You have succeeded in turning me away. You're going to have to modify your behaviour if you hope to win souls for Christ. Making a counterpoint and then insulting the other person seems to be the MO here. I am glad it brings you joy. Pure poison in my opinion.

So words are magical to you GW??? Amazing… Then you come here and criticize those who have decided NOT to fall for all of the minutia spewed about, as if it were somehow fact? Indeed, one needs to keep an open mind; FOR GOOD IDEAS, not for fallacious logic and unproven hypotheses!

If one keeps too open a mind, the good ideas will spill out, to leave room for the garbage. Or, in the words of a friend who comes in here sometimes; "An open mind is a good thing, as long as it filters out falsehoods and irrational thought” ~ D. Skuddensky

Or, the famous quote by my early days in computers; “Garbage in, garbage out”… Which is derived from “On two occasions I have been asked, ‘Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?’ ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.” ~ Charles Babbage Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

It’s kind of nice that you want to imply that we should ignore that which is correct, simply to pay heed to spurious illogic. You then say it is “unchristian-like” to correct these fallacies. Oh, and by the way, you win souls for Christ, by telling the truth, not by falling for lies by being nice. Also, I would like to know where I “made a counter point, and then insulted you”? I would gladly apologize, were that the case.

And, if you’re going to quote Corinthians, you may want to keep it in context.  

#43 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

I echo the words of Alistair McGrath when he said it's not about wining debates, but winning people to Christ. I noticed you did not respond to my counter about strong nuclear forces, but oh well. I would be a young earther but it requires too much mental gymnastics. You probably have a convoluted explanation for starlight, so I'll spare you the dissertation. I was arguing with an atheist one time and she debated in the same manner as you.
I'd better get back to my day job as a medicinal chemist. Take care..

You are correct GW; it’s NOT about winning debates. But the debaters DO adhere to the rules of logic, rationale, and facts… Otherwise the offender finds themselves getting corrected constantly for fallacious and spurious accusations. First – YOU don’t win people to Christ, the Holy Spirit does! Secondly – People don’t get “won to Christ” by agreeing with their false logic, misrepresentation of truth (or the scripture), and attempting to claim a hypothesis is the truth.

This forum is for “honest debate”, not those who attempt to pass on falsehoods, then get their feelings hurt, and take their ball and leave because of bruised ego.  If you cannot handle constructive criticism, maybe you would be better off elsewhere.

I better get back to my day job as a brain surgeon.

By the way, you didn't rebut any of the points I made, you simply complained about being corrected in your rhetoric.

#44 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

If I were talking to an atheist, i would be inclined to show a little light from Christ. I'm outta here. Enjoy yourselves. I am reminded of CS Lewis' story about the dwarves huddling around their fire.

Thanks for the "drive by" GW. By the way, it sounds  more like you are talking AS an atheist! And you probably do have a great deal in common with "the dwarves huddling around their fire".

#45 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

And what friend would that be? Sounds to me like you came here with preconceptions about the forum just looking for an excuse to take offense, make a spectacle, and storm off in a huff. Eight posts (one of which you apparently deleted as an "oops"), and on the fourth one you're lecturing us about love?

He's most likely just another atheist from the so-called "League of Reason" pretending he’s someone else in order to stir the pot. It’s happened a few times before.  They use vague scriptural references, spurious logic, and false claims…

#46 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,000 posts

• (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:52 AM

He's most likely just another atheist from the so-called "League of Reason" pretending he’s someone else in order to stir the pot. It’s happened a few times before.  They use vague scriptural references, spurious logic, and false claims…

Yeah sorry about that. I kinda shook the bees nest when I went there and attempted to explain to them that they cannot assume "evolution did it" and still think they are being scientific.

I guess the fact that one admitted this but changed his tune once I unpacked my argument, or that others were reduced to spouting philosophical pondering to justify their presuppositions, or others still merely ignoring the problem and claiming evidence based on the assumption as justification for the assumption (begging the question fallacy), perhaps put a chink in the armour that is the atheist mental gymnastics.

I really do hope that some of the atheist lurkers there read with an inquiring mind.

#47 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:10 AM

Yeah sorry about that. I kinda shook the bees nest when I went there and attempted to explain to them that they cannot assume "evolution did it" and still think they are being scientific.

Gilbo, don't take upon yourself any guilt over what the jackals at that misnamed forum did. Your intent there, and their objectives here had two polar opposite goals.

#48 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,000 posts

• (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

Gilbo, don't take upon yourself any guilt over what the jackals at that misnamed forum did. Your intent there, and their objectives here had two polar opposite goals.

Thanks Ron :)

#49 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

I know what that feelings like.

Gilbo, I agree with Ron, you did nothing wrong.

#50 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,000 posts

• (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

Thanks Adam :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users