Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Birmingham, UK

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:10 PM

This is something I'd like to discuss, What does the following quote mean?

23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. 24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. 25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved? 26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

#2 Bex

Bex

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, friends/family, animals, health topics, auto/biographies, movies (horror, comedy, drama, whatever, just as long as it's good), music, video games (mainly survival horror, or survival/adventure types), crossword puzzles, books on real life crime/serial killers/etc. Prophecy/miracles/supernatural/hauntings etc, net surfing/forums etc.<br /><br />One of my favourite forums for information on many topics:<br /><br />http://orbisvitae.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • New Zealand

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:47 PM

This is something I'd like to discuss,  What does the following quote mean?

23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. 24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. 25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved? 26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

View Post

There is some debate on the meaning of the camel and the eye of the needle and the original wording used. E.g. some have claimed that there was a gate in Jerusalem that is very narrow and difficult to pass through claimed as "the eye of the needle". Which makes it very difficult for a camel to get through, so the baggage from the camel, and everything on it, must be removed first. But there is some debate on the existence of this gate. I cannot say myself for certain.

There is another however. That it appears it may actually mean literally the eye of a needle, but that the greek word "Kamilos" (camel) may have been mistaken and should have been kamêlos (cable or rope). This needle may not have been the tiny sewing needle we are familiar with, but a much larger needle.

Either way, we can see the message that Christ is conveying to us. Showing how very difficult it would be (if not impossible perhaps in some cases) for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

Anything that fills the mind and heart with the things of the world can readily become a "replacement" god in ones life, blocking or side tracking a person from the narrow road to Heaven. This is where people drift away from Christ and towards instead, the things of the world. Becoming corrupted by power, position and money. Making money the soul purpose of ones life, to be selfish with it, to be greedy.

It is not money itself that is evil, it is the LOVE of money and a person's attitude towards it that can be the danger. One who lives their life in pursuit of the big dollar, rather than in pursuit of eternal life. Who replaces God with riches.

How hard would it be to have alot of money and not allow it to become a source for greed? Eventually one becomes increasingly wanting! The more one has, often, the more one wants. And where does Christ fit into this? Once one is overtaken by lust for money, power, position or even the flesh, there is no room for God.

Matthew 6:24

No man can serve two masters. For either he will hate the one, and love the other: or he will sustain the one, and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

Matthew 6:21

For where thy treasure is, there is thy heart also.

We need to place our value on the things that last - the eternal, rather than the temporal and the material.

#3 jason78

jason78

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Birmingham, UK

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for that Bex. A friend of mine that I was having a conversation with swore blind that the gate in Jerusalem thing was true. Though he said that it was difficult for a merchant to pass through it with a fully laden camel.

#4 AFJ

AFJ

AFJ

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • Interests:Bible, molecular biology, chemistry, mineralogy, geology, eschatology, history, family
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for that Bex.  A friend of mine that I was having a conversation with swore blind that the gate in Jerusalem thing was true.  Though he said that it was difficult for a merchant to pass through it with a fully laden camel.

View Post

Hi Jason,

I work for a large corporation, and I see the dynamics of this perhaps on the side of the victim of the rich. Our sales are pushed by wall street. There are a ton of new initiatives constantly coming down--often seemingly contradictory. All in a effort to "fix" something that's not broken. Lots of promotions for young degrees are seen on a local level, so I'm assuming it's international--point being--alot of young "hierarchy" which have little experience on the ground. The result is that salesmen are busy producing numbers, with no opportunity to be heard. The result is that when we see a problem on the ground, our immediate supervisors are to busy doing the bidding of the company to hear us. Many times if they would listen, we could save the company money, generate sales, and go home to see our families.

The bottom line--I often picture the insulated rich man making decisions that affect me and my family life, drinking his coffee and jaw jacking with another rich man on the phone, all while I am out for hours and hours making money for him and his buddy.

I think that's why God doesn't like alot of the dynamics of the rich/ poor thing.

#5 Bex

Bex

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, friends/family, animals, health topics, auto/biographies, movies (horror, comedy, drama, whatever, just as long as it's good), music, video games (mainly survival horror, or survival/adventure types), crossword puzzles, books on real life crime/serial killers/etc. Prophecy/miracles/supernatural/hauntings etc, net surfing/forums etc.<br /><br />One of my favourite forums for information on many topics:<br /><br />http://orbisvitae.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • New Zealand

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for that Bex.  A friend of mine that I was having a conversation with swore blind that the gate in Jerusalem thing was true.  Though he said that it was difficult for a merchant to pass through it with a fully laden camel.

View Post

Hi Jason,

Sorry I didn't respond to the post earlier. You're welcome for the reply. Your friend could well be right about this gate. I've heard of it a number of times myself and am inclined to believe it. It matches up well with what Jesus was saying and makes alot of sense to me.

Cheers :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users