Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:33 AM

How can you keep on posting about this historical subject if you lack a degree in history? I don't think Cassiterides has a degree in history either, and I don't even though I minored in the subject. I guess we should just let this thread die until somebody with a degree in history shows up.

View Post

This line of reasoning is entirely faulty. I have no more than a high school education, as far as papers go, should I keep my mouth shut about all subject matters until I have a slip of paper that purports my qualifications?

Are we getting so intellectually lost, as a culture, that comments like the one above are actually compelling to our mediocre understanding of how to gather knowledge? :lol: :rolleyes:

#62 Geode

Geode

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Mormon
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

This line of reasoning is entirely faulty. I have no more than a high school education, as far as papers go, should I keep my mouth shut about all subject matters until I have a slip of paper that purports my qualifications?

Are we getting so intellectually lost, as a culture, that comments like the one above are actually compelling to our mediocre understanding of how to gather knowledge?  :lol:  :rolleyes:

View Post

And I agree with you and that is what my post was meant to impart. I guess my tongue firmly in cheek got lost in translation? Please direct your post to Cassiterides who appeared to be seriously making this case further up the thread. My post was in response to his. I thought this would be obvious as I went so "over-the-top"...

evolutionfairytale post #64

(ikester7579 @ Jun 18 2010, 04:19 AM)
And what about H*vind and Carl Baugh? I guess when you are a creationist, degrees do matter because what you believe does not support certain views. Because if degrees did not matter, the hoopla created about their degrees would not have mattered either. But the idea that they did not go to Harvard was driven into the ground and broke off. So if that is the way a creationist is going to be treated, that is also the way I will treat a evolutionist. If people cannot take what they dish out to others, not my problem.

But then again, Ben Stein has several degrees from schools like what is required by evos. What good did that do when he decided to go against evolution? So it's damned if you do, and damned if you don't if you dare challenge evolution.
Geode: You seem to be answering to something other than what I posted. I have made a case in multiple posts that the presence or absence of a degree is not what really counts in scientific research. It was the creationist to whom I made the reply who was trying to undermine the credibility of some individuals due to their lack of a degree, and it was to this that I responded. I actually took a rather neutral stance, unlike what he or she did, or the "tit for tat" argument you seem to be making here in apparent support of that claim.

"My comments, edited only to correct the spelling of "pursue"...

And a contemporary, Abraham Lincoln didn't have a law degree.  How many of the notable men of that era actually obtained degrees in subjects they were able to pursue successfully? Lyell and Darwin had university training in the sciences they came to dominate that was about as good as anyone in that era. Lyell became a professor of geology."

But it is true that actually having university training in the sciences helps one to understand what they are either supporting or challenging. How many here have taken university geology or biology classes?

It is true that I make a case for actually learning about the subject one is either supporting or attacking. I see an apparent lack of much if any understanding about geology in some posts made on this board. This is most readily accomplished by taking some courses, but can be done by reading and researching. I mostly self-taught myself in this way about carbonate stratigraphy while doing my thesis as it became apparent that it would be a large element in my study. I held my own in grilling by professors during my thesis defense.

I didn't go to Harvard either, and certainly do not use such arguments against anyone on either side of the fence. The truth be known one of my best courses in geology and the best instructor I ever had in the subject was at a junior college.

Most of the work of a petroleum geologist involves training that was gained after starting work, and not from university classes. Rarely are the specifics of what we do covered in university courses. We usually learn the basics in university that provide a foundation to build upon. Some companies have formal class work in the specifics, others have you learn on the job and learning more through mentoring.

#63 Geode

Geode

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Mormon
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:15 AM

Geode @ Jun 26 2010, 11:11 AM)

Phil,

How can you keep on posting about this historical subject if you lack a degree in history? I don't think Cassiterides has a degree in history either, and I don't even though I minored in the subject. I guess we should just let this thread die until somebody with a degree in history shows up.

Cheers, Geode

it's best not to make assumptions about people you don't know. And making it personal like you have with the snide remark at the end. If you do not like debating someone you can click on their name then click ignore and their posts will disappear so you don't have to read them.

View Post

This was obviously meant to be a little joke for Phil to chuckle about since someone had taken a swipe at him just a little earlier about history degrees. My post was purposely way over-the-top and I thought this would be obvious to anybody posting on the board. Phil seems to have gotten the joke as was evident in a similar post from him. I would think the jibe I took at myself at my own expense would clinch my intent. What was snide at the end, my using "cheers"....well Phil is British so I used a sign-off they use. I guess I have learned that humor will not be as easily recognized here as I have found it is elsewhere.

#64 PhilC

PhilC

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • UK

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

Cheers, mate! :rolleyes:

#65 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

:rolleyes: :lol:

I should have read a little more before applying my comment to Geode. Please transfer my comment to the likes of my fellow creationist and we'll see if my new friend Cassiterides can stand the heat. ;) :P

#66 Cassiterides

Cassiterides

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Christian
  • uk

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:17 PM

As long as you are being honest about history, i accept anyone to debate, i don't care about qualification. However all i have seen in this thread is evolutionist lies and dishonesty. I don't tolerate lies. :rolleyes:

Let's make it real simple:

1. History only begins with the historical record (ancient writings).
2. Anything before this, it speculative and not real history.

When did the historical record begin?

It began only a few thousand years ago, there are no ancient texts or documentated evidences of history before this period. Thw following quote notes of this fact:

''It should be remembered...that real history is available for only the past few thousand years. The beginning of [known] written records... dates from about 2200BC and 3500BC. To keep things in perspective, one should remember that no one can possibly know what happened before there were people to observe and record what happened. Science means ''knowledge'' and the essence of scientific method is...observation.''

- Scientific Creationism, Henry Morris, 1985, p.131.

The evolutionists in this thread however ignorantly think it is a 'fact', man is hundred's of thousands of years old. When i asked them were they there to observe that, they then attacked my beliefs or typed out some other garbage.

So this combined with the fact PhilC and Geode don't even have a degree in history is why I just don't want to waste my time debating liars.

So we have lies + people who don't even have an education in history. It's a disgusting mix, which just wastes my time.

No one tollerates liars or dishonesty. :lol:

#67 PhilC

PhilC

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • UK

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

Let's make it real simple:

1. History only begins with the historical record (ancient writings).
2. Anything before this, it speculative and not real history.

That explains a lot!

Menes 2,900 BCE. Who was his dad?

#68 Cassiterides

Cassiterides

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Christian
  • uk

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

That explains a lot!

Menes 2,900 BCE.  Who was his dad?

View Post

The date is 2200BC, his father was Ham. See Genesis 10: 6.

Mizraim = Menes.

#69 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:39 PM

I see this is not going to stop here. So I am closing this thread.

If this personal argument continues into other threads, I will suspend and even ban. So if you need cool off time, or think you cannot debate such a person. You click on their name and then click ignore. The member you do this with his posts will disappear so you don't have to read them if what they say hits you hot button.

Now does the member's posts you ignore totally disappear? nope. It becomes a link so you don't have to read it unless you want to. Now if anyone makes fun of a member who ignores another, I will suspend you. The ignore option is there for a reason. It allows members cool off time, or in the case where two don't get along, it allows them to stay at the forum without getting on each others nerves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users