Kaliko

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Canada

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

I felt that I should share this here, I'm not sure why. It's one of the reasons why I could never hate christians.

My great aunt.

She was born in Ontario, and when she reached the age of 18, she decided that her ultimate purpose would be to join the church, and become a missionary in India. This was in 1930. Her father refused. He thought it was a dangerous practise to work in India, and didn't think a career with the church was going to make her successful.

But regardless, she left for Toronto to be trained as a Presbyterian missionary (the families denomination). After she was a missionary, she still couldn't go unless she had a profession, so she trained as a nurse. When she got her bachelors degree in nursing (all paid for by her own dime, because of her fathers dissaproval) she went off to India.

She spent forty long years there. She saved who knows how many lives there, and trained an unknown number of nurses in India, so her legacy has probably spread to this day in the medical establishment. She was proposed to on two occasions while there, but she refused.

She met Queen Elizabeth II, and was a recipient of the Queens Golden Jubilee medal for her services.

After she left India, she felt that she was still needed in the region, and she volunteered at the missions in Nepal, where she stayed for an additional fifteen years. In all, she spent 65 years in Asia.

When she returned to Canada after her world travels and her prize-winning dog shows with the companion dogs she raised, she was always the person who would try to find out what was wrong with people, and check up on everyone, writing letters every christmas to a mailing list of over 300 people around the world, even at 90 years old.

I remember when my grandfather was still at his home, his sister would call him every night at 9:00 without fail, and I never once heard her utter a curse word towards anyone. I feel that if she had been a Catholic, she might have been eligible for Sainthood.

She died in her sleep at the age of 90 last Tuesday.

Her last words to my father and his sister were, barely audibly before she drifted off to sleep were "I'll see you when you get there". For her sake, I hope she was right. She deserves it.

Thanks for reading.

#2 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:44 PM

Her last words to my father and his sister were, barely audibly before she drifted off to sleep were "I'll see you when you get there". For her sake, I hope she was right. She deserves it.

View Post

Thank you for sharing. Sincerely. I look forward to meeting her. :blink:

#3 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:57 AM

Well that's cool, because I don't think any Christians hate you either.

#4 Kaliko

Kaliko

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Canada

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:38 AM

Well that's cool, because I don't think any Christians hate you either.

View Post

Well that's good :D

Unrelated question: Out of curiosity, Why is your avatar a drawn picture of Stephen Colbert? It's been raising my own eyebrow for the last couple of days.

#5 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

Well that's good  :D 

View Post

It's a Biblical commandment, and quite possibly a main reason your great aunt did what she did for all those years. :)
And, by the way, Sainthood is not a Catholic thing, it’s a Christian thing. Biblically/scripturally, one does not get “voted” into sainthood. Also, if your aunt is what you said she is (respectfully, I am not suggesting that she is not), then she is, in fact a saint (from all the scholarship I can muster on the subject. But, for your own edification, read;Rom 1:7, Rom 8:27, Rom 12:13, 1Co 1:2, 1Co 6:2, 2Co 8:4, Eph 1:1, Php 4:22, Rev 8:3, Rev 13:7, etcettera... And ask yourself who was being spoken of in those, and many other passages).

Unrelated question: Out of curiosity, Why is your avatar a drawn picture of Stephen Colbert? It's been raising my own eyebrow for the last couple of days.

View Post

I was unaware (and doubt) it is Colbert. But even if it were, I simply thought it was a cool avatar... Nothing more.

#6 Kaliko

Kaliko

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Canada

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

It's a Biblical commandment, and quite possibly a main reason your great aunt did what she did for all those years.  :D
And, by the way, Sainthood is not a Catholic thing, it’s a Christian thing. Biblically/scripturally, one does not get “voted” into sainthood. Also, if your aunt is what you said she is (respectfully, I am not suggesting that she is not), then she is, in fact a saint (from all the scholarship I can muster on the subject. But, for your own edification, read;Rom 1:7, Rom 8:27, Rom 12:13, 1Co 1:2, 1Co 6:2, 2Co 8:4, Eph 1:1, Php 4:22, Rev 8:3, Rev 13:7, etcettera... And ask yourself who was being spoken of in those, and many other passages).

View Post

Interesting. I know the Catholics tend to have far more Saints appointed/declared (so to speak) if they meet their criteria for miracles, actions, faith and suchlike. Thanks Ron, I didn't know that saints were accepted by protestants outside of biblical times.

I was unaware (and doubt) it is Colbert. But even if it were, I simply thought it was a cool avatar... Nothing more.

Posted Image

If it isn't him, then the resemblance is uncanny lol. I wasn't making some sort of accusation.

#7 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:52 AM

It's a Biblical commandment, and quite possibly a main reason your great aunt did what she did for all those years.  :D

View Post

Good answer.

If it isn't him, then the resemblance is uncanny lol. I wasn't making some sort of accusation.

View Post

ROFLOL!

#8 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:27 PM

Interesting. I know the Catholics tend to have far more Saints appointed/declared (so to speak) if they meet their criteria for miracles, actions, faith and suchlike.

View Post

That’s the thing Kaliko, Biblically; Saints aren’t appointed or declared, and the criterion for a Saint isn’t determined by the Catholic Church. According to Jesus (after all, He is the authority), a Saint is one who follows after, and adheres to His teachings, and His Commandments; one who gives themselves over to Him. Basically, a Saint, according to the Bible, is a practicing/believing Christian. But, you’ll probably not find a Christian who’ll fell comfortable calling themselves by that title.

Thanks Ron, I didn't know that saints were accepted by protestants outside of biblical times.

View Post

We live in Biblical times Kaliko. But, I do understand what you are saying.

Posted Image

View Post

:D

#9 Bex

Bex

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, friends/family, animals, health topics, auto/biographies, movies (horror, comedy, drama, whatever, just as long as it's good), music, video games (mainly survival horror, or survival/adventure types), crossword puzzles, books on real life crime/serial killers/etc. Prophecy/miracles/supernatural/hauntings etc, net surfing/forums etc.<br /><br />One of my favourite forums for information on many topics:<br /><br />http://orbisvitae.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • New Zealand

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

:D It's the splitting image!

#10 The Debatinator

The Debatinator

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Christian
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:04 PM

Colbert has broken the genetic barrier and became a feline! I guess both sides are wrong.

#11 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:23 AM

:lol: Naw, I just decided to change it up again. I didn't realize the first one was of Colbert, but when I found thsi cat, I thought it actually looked cooler! B)

#12 Kaliko

Kaliko

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Canada

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:45 AM

:lol:  Naw, I just decided to change it up again. I didn't realize the first one was of Colbert, but when I found thsi cat, I thought it actually looked cooler!  B)

View Post

...And now Bex's post makes him look like he's out of his mind. GOOD JOB RON. B)

#13 Bex

Bex

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, friends/family, animals, health topics, auto/biographies, movies (horror, comedy, drama, whatever, just as long as it's good), music, video games (mainly survival horror, or survival/adventure types), crossword puzzles, books on real life crime/serial killers/etc. Prophecy/miracles/supernatural/hauntings etc, net surfing/forums etc.<br /><br />One of my favourite forums for information on many topics:<br /><br />http://orbisvitae.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • New Zealand

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:18 PM

...And now Bex's post makes him look like he's out of his mind. GOOD JOB RON.  :lol:

View Post

:( More fool me for putting it up there, when people often change their avatars. So yep, I look stupid :D

#14 Guest_tharock220_*

Guest_tharock220_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:20 AM

Why would you hate anybody??? It's a pointless waste of energy.

I either like you or I nothing you.

#15 Bex

Bex

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • New Zealand

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:04 AM

Why would you hate anybody???  It's a pointless waste of energy.

I either like you or I nothing you.

View Post

So, let me get this straight, you either like me, or you nothing me? So if I came up and slashed all your car tyres, poured sugar in your gas tank and smashed your car windows, you'd just nothing me? :)

#16 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:43 AM

So, let me get this straight, you either like me, or you nothing me?  So if I came up and slashed all your car tyres, poured sugar in your gas tank and smashed your car windows, you'd just nothing me?   :D

View Post

:lol: I know, that was strange wasn't it... I've never been "nothinged" before... I'd love to see "Nothing" in action! :)

#17 Bex

Bex

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • New Zealand

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:11 AM

:lol:  I know, that was strange wasn't it... I've never been "nothinged" before... I'd love to see "Nothing" in action!  :)

View Post

Uh yeah, interesting. I'd like to meet one person who has not felt or expressed strong emotion of like or dislike (or even hate) at onetime or another. Being honest with ourselves and we'd admit we have felt the same.

#18 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:15 AM

Uh yeah, interesting.  I'd like to meet one person who has not felt or expressed strong emotion of like or dislike (or even hate) at onetime or another.   Being honest with ourselves and we'd admit we have felt the same.

View Post

Indeed! But then again, I could just SAY: "I nothing YOU", and have it over with! :lol:

But where would that leave us? :)

#19 Bex

Bex

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • New Zealand

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:33 AM

Indeed! But then again, I could just SAY: "I nothing YOU", and have it over with!  :lol:

But where would that leave us?  :)

View Post

:D I nothing you more!

:lol:

#20 Guest_tharock220_*

Guest_tharock220_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:39 PM

So, let me get this straight, you either like me, or you nothing me?  So if I came up and slashed all your car tyres, poured sugar in your gas tank and smashed your car windows, you'd just nothing me? :)

View Post

You're confusing reacting with hating. I would certainly deal with the situation. I would call the police or whatever, but after it was dealt with I wouldn't give the you another thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users