• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#21 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:44 AM

The work done by these two seems completely independent of studies of axis tilt, with instead a tie in to meteors and not a flood.
Taurid Demons

View Post

Wow. This seems to be supporting Ruth Beechick's ideas in World History Made Simple. She has the Egyptian timeline tied in to occurences of God's wrath. If I remember correctly this one was the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, which caused Africa's Great Rift.

I am reading this thread with fascination and very little understanding. :lol:

#22 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:49 AM

It would be great if some of you could read Ruth Beechick's book and The Archeology Book in the Wonder's of Creation series and let me know what you think. I am trying to get this stuff together by the time my kids would need it. I am trying to present both an OE and a YE point of view.

#23 Geode

Geode

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Mormon
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:01 AM

It would be great if some of you could read Ruth Beechick's book and The Archeology Book in the Wonder's of Creation series and let me know what you think. I am trying to get this stuff together by the time my kids would need it. I am trying to present both an OE and a YE point of view.

View Post

Clay tablet identified as asteroid that destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah

Lewis Smith, Science Reporter

A clay tablet that has baffled scientists for 150 years has been identified as a witness’s account of the asteroid suspected of being behind the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Researchers who cracked the cuneiform symbols on the Planisphere tablet believe that it recorded an asteroid thought to have been more than half a mile across.

The tablet, found by Henry Layard in the remains of the library in the royal place at Nineveh in the mid-19th century, is thought to be a 700BC copy of notes made by a Sumerian astronomer watching the night sky.

He referred to the asteroid as “white stone bowl approaching” and recorded it as it “vigorously swept along”.

Using computers to recreate the night sky thousands of years ago, scientists have pinpointed his sighting to shortly before dawn on June 29 in the year 3123BC.

About half the symbols on the tablet have survived and half of those refer to the asteroid. The other symbols record the positions of clouds and constellations. In the past 150 years scientists have made five unsuccessful attempts to translate the tablet.

Mark Hempsell, one of the researchers from Bristol University who cracked the tablet’s code, said: “It’s a wonderful piece of observation, an absolutely perfect piece of science.”

He said the size and route of the asteroid meant that it was likely to have crashed into the Austrian Alps at Köfels. As it travelled close to the ground it would have left a trail of destruction from supersonic shock waves and then slammed into the Earth with a cataclysmic impact.

Debris consisting of up to two thirds of the asteroid would have been hurled back along its route and a flash reaching temperatures of 400C (752F) would have been created, killing anyone in its path. About one million sq km (386,000 sq miles) would have been devastated and the impact would have been equivalent to more than 1,000 tonnes of TNT exploding.

Dr Hempsall said that at least 20 ancient myths record devastation of the type and on the scale of the asteroid’s impact, including the Old Testament tale of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah and the Ancient Greek myth of how Phaeton, son of Helios, fell into the River Eridanus after losing control of his father’s sun chariot.

The findings of Dr Hempsall and Alan Bond, of Reaction Engines Ltd, are published in a book, A Sumerian Observation of the Köfels’ Impact Event.

The researchers say that the asteroid’s impact would explain why at Köfels there is evidence of an ancient landslide 5km wide and 500m thick.

Clay tablet

#24 Guest_tharock220_*

Guest_tharock220_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:10 AM

As believers, we are all actually 'creationist'....we believe that God did it!...where we differ, is in how he did it.  :lol:

PS...you are not alone anymore!

Peace

View Post

Some months ago I also posted in reply to the tagline that I am a non-creationist conservative.

View Post

I put that up before either of you started posting.

#25 Scanman

Scanman

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Christian
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • West Virginia

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:12 AM

Clay tablet

View Post

I cannot get your clay tablet link to work.

#26 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

It works in my firefox browser, that maybe what you have to use to read it.

#27 Scanman

Scanman

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Christian
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • West Virginia

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:40 PM

It works in my firefox browser, that maybe what you have to use to read it.

View Post

Thanks Ike!...worked great.

Very interesting article.
This may explain a lot.
God's timing in using natural disasters to carry out judgements.

#28 Geode

Geode

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Mormon
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

I cannot get your clay tablet link to work.

View Post

It still works for me, but here it is again.

http://www.timesonli...icle3649054.ece

An opposing viewpoint:

A clay tablet that has baffled scientists for 150 years has been identified as a witness’s account of the asteroid suspected of being behind the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. Researchers who cracked the cuneiform symbols on the Planisphere tablet believe that it recorded an asteroid thought to have been more than half a mile across. Sound archaeological research and Biblical chronology show this assertion to be incorrect.

rebuttal

#29 Scanman

Scanman

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Christian
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • West Virginia

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:53 PM

It still works for me, but here it is again.

http://www.timesonli...icle3649054.ece

An opposing viewpoint:
rebuttal

View Post

Geode,

Was the article meant as a rebuttal? The only descrepancy that was detailed seem to be the timeline...with the asteroid strike taking place in ~3123BC and Wood's dating of the destruction of S&G at ~2070BC (a 1053 year difference).

If the asteroid hit the Austrian Alps, couldn't portions of it that broke apart and left the 'path of destruction', have hit Sodom & Gomorrah?

If it was seen by a Sumerian astronomer, it could have been traveling the 1600 miles from the SouthEast(S&G) to the NorthWest(Kofels).

The asteroid would have first been seen splitting down the middle of what is now Yemen and continuing to the Northwest.

#30 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:41 PM

Geode,

Was the article meant as a rebuttal? The only descrepancy that was detailed seem to be the timeline...with the asteroid strike taking place in ~3123BC and Wood's dating of the destruction of S&G at ~2070BC (a 1053 year difference).

If the asteroid hit the Austrian Alps, couldn't portions of it that broke apart and left the 'path of destruction', have it Sodom & Gomorrah?

If it was seen by a Sumerian astronomer, it could have been traveling the 1600 miles from the SouthEast(S&G) to the NorthWest(Kofels).

The asteroid would have first been seen splitting down the middle of what is now Yemen and continuing to the Northwest.

View Post

I would like to know how the clay tablet was dated. Sumerian dating is always way off from what I understand.... hmmmm

Well ancient history is my thing... so now I have some reading to do. :lol:

#31 Geode

Geode

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Mormon
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:01 PM

Geode,

If the asteroid hit the Austrian Alps, couldn't portions of it that broke apart and left the 'path of destruction', have hit Sodom & Gomorrah?

View Post

The site is screwy. All I can find that attempts t refute the notion is the "abstract" I quoted which is below the linked article. If you can find a full article that posts an opposing viewpoint let me know. I guess somebody at that site thought the linked article did this, but I can't find anything in it that really refutes the concept either.

abstrct rebuttal

#32 Geode

Geode

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Mormon
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:19 PM

I would like to know how the clay tablet was dated. Sumerian dating is always  way off from what I understand.... hmmmm

Well ancient history is my thing... so now I have some reading to do.  :)

View Post

Apparently the positions of "heavenly bodies" on the tablet (K8538) were matched to calculated astronomical positions through time.

sky matching

The "Planisphere"

Roughly dating to 700 B.C., the Sumerian tablet called the "Planisphere" (No. K8538, British Museum) was found in the 1850's by archaeologist Henry Layard in the ruins of the royal palace library at Nineveh, in what is now Iraq. Round in shape, and about 6 inches in diameter, the tablet has frustrated scholars for over 150 years; a new look at it (2007-8) indicated it may have been a copy of an earlier tablet recording an astronomical observation of the fall of an asteroid, which according to computer models took place on June 29, 3123 B.C. Although much of the tablet records planetary positions, the trajectory of the asteroid was recorded, giving a remarkably-accurate (within one degree) path for the asteroid in the direction of Köfels.

Planisphere

#33 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:30 AM

Thank you so much for contributing to this subject for me! :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users