My 1984 Gmc Stepside Project
Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:15 PM
It included flat top pistons. I also ordered a cam and lifter kit (Duration 262/272, Lift .420/.442). It's not a big cam, but it will give me more HP than stock. You can either have a cam that will give you more top end HP or a cam that will give you quick acceleration at lower RPM's; Since my truck is a daily driver I want a lower duration and rise cam.
I may have a neighbor help with assembly this weekend and have it all together.
Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:40 PM
Piston skirt dia.-4.038"
Main bearing clearance-0.001"
Rod bearing clearance-0.001"
Here's the front end showing cam button.
Here's the fully assembled bottom end painted.
Here's the timing cover and oil pan after painting.
I have to order a crankshaft socket so I can turn the crank over to top dead center and measure the deck height. If it's zero, then I can use the stock .041" head gaskets that came with the rebuild kit. The heads were surfaced and that should put my total quench to ~.035", which would be perfect.
Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:56 PM
I used Fel Pro .016" head gaskets and coated the deck with Permatex copper gasket spray. The head bolts are brand new and I put an extra 1/8 turn on them with a 1/2" breaker bar after torquing them to 70 ft. lbs. I'm looking for a specific amount of bolt stretch rather than torque lbs.; The extra stretch will keep the heads tight and sealed after the engine gets hot and the bolt holes expand causing the head bolts to slightly loosen.
My compression ratio with these head gaskets will be 9.56:1, which will give me plenty of power and able to run on pump gas.
Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:03 PM
The first method I used to adjust the valves didn't work, so I went back and adjusted them with a different method and got the proper lash the second time.
Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:17 PM
Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:16 AM
I'm ready to begin the engine swap next weekend. I installed the new chrome dipstick and put a chrome hugger header on to give you an idea of how it will look.
Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:36 PM
The good news is: The new engine is swapped and nearly complete - just waiting to find the right sized belts and headers.
Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:26 AM
I'll post some pics. later.
Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:51 PM
I was going to paint the headers, but the high temp. paint always peels away.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users