thatsneakyguy

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Maryland

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

the maacabean revolt that removed the greek presence from isreal and allowed the temple to be cleansed.
http://www.chabad.or...e-Maccabees.htm

i also suggest searching there for the whole story of channukah and the miracle of it. i will read tonight on the foruth day of channukah

I'm pretty sure Hannukah started after the Maccabes revolt in the years between Zechariah and Malachi (last prophets of the OT) and Christ. Here you go.
Hanukkah (Hebrew: חֲנֻכָּה‎, Tiberian: Ḥănukkāh, usually spelled חנוכה pronounced [χanuˈka] in Modern Hebrew, also romanized as Chanukah, Chanukkah, or Chanuka), also known as the Festival of Lights, is an eight-day Jewish holiday commemorating the rededication of the Holy Temple (the Second Temple) in Jerusalem at the time of the Maccabean Revolt of the 2nd century BCE.

The Maccabees (Hebrew: מכבים‎ or מקבים, Makabim or Maqabim; Greek: Μακκαβαῖοι, /makav'εï/) were a Jewish rebel army who took control of Judea, which had been a client state of the Seleucid Empire. They founded the Hasmonean dynasty, which ruled from 164 BCE to 63 BCE, reasserting the Jewish religion, expanding the boundaries of the Land of Israel and reducing the influence of Hellenism and Hellenistic Judaism. Some scholars argue that the "Jewish biblical canon" was fixed by the Hasmonean dynasty.[1] Cited from wikipedia

Thanks to you both.

#22 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • florida

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:11 PM

afj the channukah holiday was after the exilic period. meaning after malachi was written.

that link says when it happened.

#23 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:18 PM

My feelings about Christmas, Good Friday, and Resurrection Sunday:

If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.-- Romans 10:9

Christmas teaches my kids that Jesus is Lord. Resurrection Sunday teaches them that he was raised from the dead.

Jehovah's Witnesses commemorate Jesus' death, but they do not honor Him. They do all they can to hide his glory while at the same time using the title Lord and Savior without grasping the meaning... A dead savior can save no one. Believe me, I know. The ransom doctrine is complex and difficult to understand, yet children put their full trust in Jesus and leap into his arms and they are saved. So IMO, Good Friday is last in the order of importance between the three.

#24 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

glad that you are coming out of that doctrine.

i have forgotten that whacky ransom doctrine.

#25 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:17 PM

You know, I should probably ask my support group about the ransom sacrifice. I tend to agree with the EO view quite a bit. I haven't really gotten any other views.

#26 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

refresh my memory on that ransom thing.

but we are taking this off topic. perhaps in private is best.

i prefer not to derail.

#27 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

Oh, here are the pictures. I forgot to post them. We have had three family birthdays in January. Whew. Busy.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/251336428267044/

#28 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:31 AM

Oh, here are the pictures. I forgot to post them. We have had three family birthdays in January. Whew. Busy.
https://www.facebook...51336428267044/

Your daughter looks just like my neice at that age.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users