God Did It Vs Natural Selection.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Admin3_*

Guest_Admin3_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:20 AM

Natural selection: The process in nature by which only those organisms best suited to survive and reproduce are breeding animals, thereby passing only those genes on to future generations. This usually means only those organisms possessing characteristics that best adapt them to a certain environment survive long enough to breed (or to breed the most) end up being the ones to pass the most of their characteristics (genes) into the future. "Survival of the fittest" very often doesn't have much to do with strength, at least not on the surface. A peacock, for example, drags that elaborate tail around not because it makes him strong, but because that is what females look for when choosing mates. His offspring will therefore be likely to also have an elaborate tail.

This is also used to explain how complex organs, or how complex cells develop. It's science's way of saying: Nature did it.

God did it: The God of creation has powers beyond our comprehension. And all that we do not understand as a child of God, we explain as God did it. Not so much as an excuse, it is truly because we don't comprehend how it was done. The God did it response can apply to several things.

1) Creation.
2) The flood.
3) The Red sea crossing.
4) Jesus dying for our sins
etc....

The definition of a God, would be a being that has unlimited power to do the will that He pleases to do. After all, anything less would not be a God.

Evolutionist and old earth believers hate the phrase: God did it. Why? Because you cannot debunk the power of God. For scientific method requires a testable object. God is not testable. So when the phrase is used, it really gets to these people. But are they also using a very simular phrase?

When ask how a complex organ like the brain or the eye evolved, with no problems. You get the answer that the process was done through natural selection. But yet if asked for the basic process of how these organs evolved, you would get none. Just the same explaination about how evolution and mutations work. Even though evolution has never been observed.

So is Natural selection science's way of saying God did it, without God?

#2 RockerforChrist14

RockerforChrist14

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Amity, Oregon

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:50 PM

Basically yes. It's never been observed anywhere, they only think it happened. Therefore they can only answer a question with something that contains more assumptions. Yep, the magic of nature.

#3 Guest_Calipithecus_*

Guest_Calipithecus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2005 - 12:27 AM

So is Natural selection science's way of saying God did it, without God?

View Post

In a sense, yes. I think this is a valid objection. Gould, with his 'spandrels', thought so too, and accused his rival theorists of abusing the concept of natural selection by invoking it to explain everything (or at least all the interesting stuff). I see it as a very 'top-down' concept; an emergent feature of a complex system (some others that come to mind are 'consciousness' and 'intelligence'). As such, it is subject to being over-applied, and the perpetrators are hard to catch.

#4 Guest_Admin3_*

Guest_Admin3_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:54 AM

In a sense, yes. I think this is a valid objection. Gould, with his 'spandrels', thought so too, and accused his rival theorists of abusing the concept of natural selection by invoking it to explain everything (or at least all the interesting stuff). I see it as a very 'top-down' concept; an emergent feature of a complex system (some others that come to mind are 'consciousness' and 'intelligence'). As such, it is subject to being over-applied, and the perpetrators are hard to catch.

View Post

Thanks, I'm glad someone is honest about this. Because I sure dislike the God did it always being pinned on us when the other side does it as well.

#5 lionheart209

lionheart209

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Lodi, Ca

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:24 AM

View Post

I agree

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users