#1 Mars

Mars

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • (private)
  • Atheist
  • Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

I have been pondering this question and felt it may be better to ask people in the know.

Does the Bible make any mention of life elsewhere in the universe? Is the Bible very clear on this?

Does not necessarily have to be directly from the Bible, but any Christian literature.

Your help is apperiated. Thank you

#2 Bond007

Bond007

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:Reading.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

If one starts with Genesis one could predict no life anywhere else, if one starts with evolutionism/abiogenesis then one might predict life elsewhere

#3 Bonedigger

Bonedigger

Admin Team

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Interests:Creation, Vertebrate Paleontology-particularly mammals and especially Perissodactyls & Carnivores, Hunting, Shooting, Handloading, Weaving Chainmaille, Hebrew and other Biblically relevant languages, Astronomy
  • Christian
  • Colorado

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

I have been pondering this question and felt it may be better to ask people in the know.

Does the Bible make any mention of life elsewhere in the universe? Is the Bible very clear on this?

Does not necessarily have to be directly from the Bible, but any Christian literature.

Interesting you should ask that. Just yesterday I was watching a couple videos of Gary Bates' talks on Alien Intrusions  Part 1 and Part 2 from the 2011 Creation Super Conference. If you're interested, you can download the videos from the CMI page, or directly from the hyperlinks I created here.

In short, while the Bible does not specifically exclude life elsewhere in the universe, it does lay down some principles that would make it problematic (for the life elsewhere, that is). For example, Paul mentions that all creation was subjected to futility and corruption in Romans 8:20-21, but redemption for the sin of Adam that caused that corruption is for men in Romans 5:18-19. It would be rather strange for "life elsewhere" to be subjected to corruption for Adam's sin, but not be able to access redemption from it.

P.S. He also has a page on creation.com addressing that question.

#4 Mars

Mars

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • (private)
  • Atheist

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for the great info and advice. I have heard so many times in the past that books in the Bible like Ezekiel, refers to otherworldly visitation and another is the story of Enoch(Noah's grandfather) that was taking up to the stars. Are there credibility to these claims?

What do you think would happen to religion as a whole if otherworldly entities would visit the Earth? Seeing that the Bible is actually very clear on this, could one say that Christians will probably see the entities as the enemy?

I think it will be so strange if they get here and they have an identical religion to that we have here on Earth. I believe it will possibly be one of the most prolific things that will ever happen in human history.

The Bible does refer to the anti-Christ that will come and one could argue that if the first entities arrive, that people could see it as just that? What do you think?

#5 Salsa

Salsa

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Christian
  • Uppsala, Sweden

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:13 PM

Thanks for the great info and advice. I have heard so many times in the past that books in the Bible like Ezekiel, refers to otherworldly visitation and another is the story of Enoch(Noah's grandfather) that was taking up to the stars. Are there credibility to these claims?

What do you think would happen to religion as a whole if otherworldly entities would visit the Earth? Seeing that the Bible is actually very clear on this, could one say that Christians will probably see the entities as the enemy?

I think it will be so strange if they get here and they have an identical religion to that we have here on Earth. I believe it will possibly be one of the most prolific things that will ever happen in human history.

The Bible does refer to the anti-Christ that will come and one could argue that if the first entities arrive, that people could see it as just that? What do you think?

I think that the idea that life exists outside of this planet (just as the idea that all religions have a reasonably equal share in the truth) is nothing more than a numbers game based on human reasoning. If God created the universe just for the purpose of leaving us with the task of evaluating probabilites then such a worldview would "probably" be the best. But what if God was more interested in the moral judgements we draw than their our ability play numbers games and calculate probabilities?

The Bible predicts that in the last times that people will "turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths." These "myths" might well be the enticing ideas of evolution, but they could also be the idea that extraterestials have had a place in our creation and/or development. The following video is quite long, but well worth watching. I think it debunks many of the convincing myths that involve extraterestial visitations.

#6 Mars

Mars

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • (private)
  • Atheist

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:12 AM

Thx for the video. It is absolutely worth watching. I am busy watching another one and will keep you updated if something worth sharing shows itself.

#7 rico

rico

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, computers, physics, video games, philosophy, epistomology
  • Christian
  • USA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

The Gary bates video from CMI help answer your questions, he also wrote a book Alien Intrusion and it covers man made crop circles and other topics.  It also gives a christian prespective on ufology.  Ian Juby, from Canada has also made a documentary on the subject from a christian worldview.  Depending on the subject his videos can be entertaining: 

• Bond007 likes this

#8 cheeseburger

cheeseburger

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • (private)
  • Atheist
  • Western Canada

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

"Does the Bible make any mention of life elsewhere in the universe? Is the Bible very clear on this?"

There is a reference to the Morning Star (Isaiah 14:12) although its true planetary nature does not seem to be recognized.  Elsewhere there are no biblical references to other planets and thus little obvious scope for life outside of Earth (or the afterlife).

In Genesis 1:6 God creates a vault (firmament) to separate the waters below from waters above and it is into this vault that He later sets the sun, moon and stars (no mention of planets) - thus, the pre-flood Universe was surrounded by water.  The relevance of this cosmology is indicated in Genesis 7:11 where we read that the "windows of heaven were opened" at the start of the Noachian deluge allowing water to flow in (one interpretation of Genesis is that prior to this it had not yet rained).  This view of the Universe makes it seem unlikely that the author of the Pentateuch contemplated other mortal worlds.

#9 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:48 AM

The only other life forces mentioned in the Bible Would be God (the Trinity: Father, Son, Holy Spirit), Angels (various types) and Demons. Other than that, no…

#10 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,006 posts
  • Interests:Completed BBiotech (Honours)

Currently studying Masters of Teaching.

Enjoys games of tactics and strategy.
  • (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

If one starts with Genesis one could predict no life anywhere else, if one starts with evolutionism/abiogenesis then one might predict life elsewhere

Not true, God may have created life elsewhere but just didn't want to impart that info to us for the time being.

29 “The Lord our God has secrets known to no one. We are not accountable for them, but we and our children are accountable forever for all that he has revealed to us, so that we may obey all the terms of these instructions."

Deuteronomy 29:29

#11 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:16 AM

There is a reference to the Morning Star (Isaiah 14:12) although its true planetary nature does not seem to be recognized.  Elsewhere there are no biblical references to other planets and thus little obvious scope for life outside of Earth (or the afterlife).

Actually, the "Moring Star" is Jesus (amongst other names):
"I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star." ~ Revelation 22:16

Isaiah 14:12 and the contextual verbiage around it, was speaking of the "Fall of Satan" , not the Morning Star.

#12 Hawkins

Hawkins

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Christian
  • Old Earth Creationist
  • Hong Kong

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

If one starts with evolution/abiogenesis, he limits himself to a 3D ball we called the universe, if one starts with Genesis he may reach beyond the 3D ball we are living in.

In the beginning God created heavenS. Angels apparantly don't share with our space, and Paul was brought to the third heaven (perhaps another space). So the "elsewhere' is much broader than a human mind can accomodate at the time when Genesis was written. Only recently humans started to consider the possibility of a multi-spatile reality of which the 3D ball we are living in could just be a tiny place.

#13 Teejay

Teejay

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Christian
  • Texas

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:55 PM

Not true, God may have created life elsewhere but just didn't want to impart that info to us for the time being.

29 “The Lord our God has secrets known to no one. We are not accountable for them, but we and our children are accountable forever for all that he has revealed to us, so that we may obey all the terms of these instructions."

Deuteronomy 29:29

Gilbo

If God created another man somewhere in the universe, I have some questions:

If this other man sinned, would Jesus have to die again on another Cross?

If so, God the Father would have o pour out his wrath on His son yet once again.  Right?

TeeJay

#14 Teejay

Teejay

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Christian
  • Texas

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

Hello all,

The Bible says that God will create a new heaven and a new earth--only a new earth is mentioned.  His return will be to this Earth to Israel, His chosen people.  And I believe the Bible says that He died once.  And I say, not the Lord, that Jesus dying once for us is enough.  Further, He came into HIs own creation to save us.  While the Holy Spirit can be on two planets at eh same time in the same way, Jesus Christ is incarnate and fully human (and fully God) .  In His physical form can He be in two places at the same time in the same way?  Isn't dying once for our sins enough.  Isn't HIs one resurrection sufficient?  No.  I think we are His finest creation on this earth and nowhere else.  

TeeJay 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users