• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • New York

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

Or another one of my old favorites: Focal Point-Homicide

Not bad, but the vocals give it a garage band quality.

And now that we've utterly veered this thread askew, I don't believe CCM is of the devil. It's theological fluffery to be sure, but I don't think that is the point of most CCM. It's mostly (imo) and expression of the artists heart set to a Christian sound.

#22 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

And now that we've utterly veered this thread askew, I don't believe CCM is of the devil. It's theological fluffery to be sure, but I don't think that is the point of most CCM. It's mostly (imo) and expression of the artists heart set to a Christian sound.

I don't think we lead this thread askew at all. We had some posters thinking they could provide an umbrella and stuff a style of music under it and label it bad. I think it's their responsibility to demonstrate on specific songs why the umbrella of criticism is warranted.

I would say all the examples we provided are proof that the umbrella statement "CCM is of the devil" is lacking merit... even the ones that made my ears bleed. :D You might as well say something arbitrary like "The color blue is evil."

As to everything else you said. Right on!

#23 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 07 June 2014 - 04:02 AM

#24 rico

rico

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, computers, physics, video games, philosophy, epistomology
  • Christian
  • USA

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:36 AM

I recently was looking over mws cd's and some, not all, do have occult symbols such as rune stone alphabet letters. 

One cover Update: The cover on his first 'project' cassette has been changed with another one on CD, don't know when.  Source in comentary: http://www.christian...0272x/pd/CD7645

other source: https://en.wikipedia...._Smith_Project, changed in 1987 with cd from 1983

I noticed on the creationliberty site they don't post the full lyrics of his music... website info from December 10 2014: http://www.songlyric...ith-you-lyrics/   On there they try to say some things about  "A New Hallelujah" CD.  But if you look up the lyrics to: Deep in Love with you, it doesn't line up with what they say on the website.

Here is a site that gives the lyrics to Deep in Love with you from SongLyrics:  http://www.songlyric...ith-you-lyrics/

The full lyrics about the heaven come down song, mention God.

I have looked at 1st John 4 for an antichrist test but not an appostate test.

I agree reading the lyrics helps! 

Also other questions I asked:

Do they edify the church?

Who are they giving glory to?

I'm upset that sites post false or misleading information.   I hope they edit/update the site.  I'll still listen to Michael W. Smith and like some of the sovereign songs I've heard on Vevo.

#25 Bonedigger

Bonedigger

Admin Team

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Interests:Creation, Vertebrate Paleontology-particularly mammals and especially Perissodactyls & Carnivores, Hunting, Shooting, Handloading, Weaving Chainmaille, Hebrew and other Biblically relevant languages, Astronomy
  • Christian
  • Colorado

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:13 PM

I just noticed the misspelling in the title of this video. It should be "Agnus Dei", not "Angus Dei". get_a_clue.gifHe's the Lamb of God, not the Cow of God. tongue.png

#26 Schera Do

Schera Do

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • Interests:Critical analysis and referents, Ephectic, Ultimate questions & how to answer, political philosophy, Constitutional Conservatism
  • (private)
  • Agnostic
  • Northeastern U.S. of A.

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:34 AM

Given music and lyrics, what a listener comprehends always is the music and not always the lyrics.

A person can listen to music with no regard whatsoever to the meaning of the lyrics. I, personally, have done such a thing for great lengths of time to the music that petrified my parents--and many parents--when I was a teenager: Led Zeppelin.

I am of the camp that the "style" of music can convey "the devil" with no regard to the meaning of one word being "sung".

I make this statement with no firm belief in "the devil". When I hear music that mocks the style of other music that has depraved themes, I think of those depraved songs, musicians and themes.

#27 FaithfulCenturion

FaithfulCenturion

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Christian
  • New York

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:23 AM

I just noticed the misspelling in the title of this video. It should be "Agnus Dei", not "Angus Dei". get_a_clue.gifHe's the Lamb of God, not the Cow of God. tongue.png

:D :D :D

roid-cow.png

the-holy-cow_o_1026859.jpg

#28 perry_eh

perry_eh

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Ontario, Canada

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:24 AM

Great thread.

What I have noticed  with secular music, I now relate the lyrics to my love for God or rather I hear the word of God. Celine Dion's 'because you loved me' was our wedding song and every time I hear that song, I put my mind to the Lord and his love for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users