Photo

Usernames Vs Acronyms: What Do You Prefer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bonedigger

Bonedigger

Admin Team

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
  • Interests:Creation, Vertebrate Paleontology-particularly mammals and especially Perissodactyls & Carnivores, Hunting, Shooting, Handloading, Weaving Chainmaille, Hebrew and other Biblically relevant languages, Astronomy
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Colorado

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:58 PM

There is a tendency on this forum to reduce member's usernames to acronyms or abbreviations. Personally, I don't have a problem with that as it makes it easier to respond to a post without having to spell out the username of a member in full while responding to their post. In fact, such expressions can become a form of familiar endearment. However, some have expressed confusion, or even indignation at the practice. So, what I propose here is a venue where you can spell out what acronyms (if any), or what variations on your username you may prefer or are comfortable with, so that those appellations will not become an issue when discussing such volatile issues as Creation vs Evolution, etc. Pending Fred's approval, I will pin this topic in the Welcome Section, and, hopefully we will all follow such requests.

As for myself, Bone, BD, or Bonedigger are all fine for me. wink.png

#2 piasan

piasan

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts
  • Christian
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Oklahoma

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:02 AM

FWIW, I'm fine with the practice as long as it's clear who the acronym or "nickname" refers to and it's not insulting.  I'm good with "Pi."

#3 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:44 AM

Personally... My intention is to use acronyms as much as possible BUT I'm a little insulted that people sometimes refer to me just as "Adam". My preference would be "Sir Adam Nagy" :D

#4 FaithfulCenturion

FaithfulCenturion

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Christian
  • New York

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:50 AM

I'm cool with FC or Faithful, or Faithful Centurion, etc. And Adam...smh lol! You crack me up! Your new avatar "sir" Adam:
91521_kKYOw2rVo0YRGE9T5MN8DsMwe.jpg

#5 Bonedigger

Bonedigger

Admin Team

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
  • Interests:Creation, Vertebrate Paleontology-particularly mammals and especially Perissodactyls & Carnivores, Hunting, Shooting, Handloading, Weaving Chainmaille, Hebrew and other Biblically relevant languages, Astronomy
  • Christian
  • Colorado

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

Personally... My intention is to use acronyms as much as possible BUT I'm a little insulted that people sometimes refer to me just as "Adam". My preference would be "Sir Adam Nagy" biggrin.png

SAN it is. biggrin.png

#6 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,053 posts
  • Christian
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

SAN it is. biggrin.png

I was going to go with "Sir Adam Nagy The Great" but my humility kicked in. :P

Besides the reality is; "Nagy" translates to "Great" in Hungarian. (No joke :))

#7 AdamHebrew

AdamHebrew

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Hindu
  • Creationist
  • Aberdeen, UK

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:43 PM

Do you have similar acronyms or abbreviations you’ve wondered about?

I’ve collected over More then 200 social media acronyms and abbreviations and placed them here in this post, complete with definitions and quick navigation to help you find the terms you’re interested in. Let me know if there are others that you’ve noticed that didn’t make this list!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users