#21 scaramouche

scaramouche

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Puyallup, Washington

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:49 PM

A new book that just hit the street last week is Billions of Missing Links by Geoffrey Simmons (I was at the book release party and he was hilarious and a nice guy too). This book tells the story of an amazing world around us. Stories of cockroaches and the Cell from Hell, and fleas and viruses etc. make you shake your head in wonder. His first book What Darwin Did Not Know is also a wonderful book. I learned more about the human body in that book that I have in the rest of my 56 plus years of existence.

What Happened to Me - Reflections of a journey by Randall Niles is a wonderful book. It combines a search for facts about evolution with a search for facts about the Bible. This attorney did some serious research to come to his decisions in life. You can read it online at http://www.think-works.com/

Uncommon Dissent is a collection of essays put together by William Dembski. Some of the authors are Michael Denton, David Berlinski and more.

Marvin Lubenow's Bones of Contention is a good source for knowledge of the human fossil record. It can get a little dry - you know dem bones dem bones dem dry bones.

Summer of the Gods by Edward Larson gives a vivid description of the Scopes trial.

Long War Against God by Henry Morris is truly a powerful book.
Behe's book, Darwin's Black Box is a must not miss as is Icons of Evolution.

#22 pwnagepanda

pwnagepanda

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Judaism non-orthodox
  • Agnostic
  • Piedmont, California

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:36 PM

I recently read "Demon haunted World" by Carl Sagan, and it was a very good look at the way that science wotks.

Also, the old classic- "The Origin of the Species" by Charles Darwin

#23 evofraud

evofraud

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Fort Worth, Texas

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:34 AM

I highly recommend Why Evolution is a Fraud: a Secular and Common-Sense Deconstruction by Tom Sutcliff. The book lives up to the brazen title by crushing evolution concisely and with surprising humor. The book takes the unique approach of forcing evolution to stand on its own. The author effectively explains why evolutionists insist on believing in a scientifically invalid theory.

See http://www.evofraud.com

Also, see the sources page on the website for other excellent reads.

#24 Seth

Seth

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Chicago

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:52 AM

Decoding the Universe by Charles Seife

Great book by an evolutionist who openly admits some "distubing" discoveries concerning information and thermodynamics.

#25 Supersport

Supersport

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Ft Worth, Texas

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:43 PM

My favorite books in no particular order:

Independent Birth of Organisms by periannan Senapathy, Ph.D -- a must read. This guy is not a creationist but he believes each creature emerged independently out of the primordial pond. The book reads like a creationist book because he is so anti-darwin and because of his anti-common descent stance. He's also a molecular biologist.

In the Beginning (Compelling Evidence for Creaiton and the Flood.) by Dr. Walt Brown. Great theory on the flood. This book is really really good.

Genetic Engineering: Dream or Nightmare? By Dr. Mae Wan Ho -- Don't let the title fool you. This book tears down Darwinism piece by piece. The premise is about the dangers of messing with our foods, but the first half of the book explains in detail why this concept is so dangerous..(because the science is wrong.) Great book.

Why is a Fly Not a Horse? by Dr. Giuseppe Sermonti -- reads more like a short story, almost poetic, but a very good book that puts genetics in perspective for the beginner (like me). :)

Red Earth White Lies by Vine Deloria, Jr. -- this book is written to debunk the Darwian myth of the Bering Straight crossing. Though not a Christian, Deloria is a creationist of sorts, and this guy simply has no patience for Darwinism. It's a fun read.

The Biology of Belief by Dr. Bruce Lipton -- Darwinist turned Gaia promoter. Explains why reductionism is dead and how lamarckian mechanisms are responsible for evolution. The first half of the book is exceptional, (and alone is worth the price of admission) the second half gets a bit tedius.

On the evolutionist front, I suppose my favorite books are Sudden Origins by Jeffrey Scwartz, Ph.D --- a bit boring, but at least he hasn't cornered himself into the traditional neo-darwinist playbook. I also can tolerate Endless Forms Most Beautiful by Sean Carrol. Evo devo is a step in the right direction and Carrol admits: "it's time to change the textbooks," indicating that the era of neo-darwinism is over. Whew!

#26 CTD

CTD

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Christian
  • Missouri

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:17 PM

Genetic Entropy and the Mystery of the Genome

This is the best book I've read in the last year or so on the origins debate. If you like genetics, you won't be dissapointed! Click the link for more info.

Fred

View Post

I'll second this one. Dr. Sanford's a splendid teacher, and much of the book is very easy to understand.

Werner Gitt's In the beginning was Information is also top-notch; but I had to take my time in a few places.

#27 rbarclay

rbarclay

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Christian
  • Tower, Minnesota

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:24 AM

I just got "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins the other day, and just started reading it. It seems really good so far. There are a few other books I've picked up as well which were suggested by various friends.

I'm curious what other books people here would recommend for reading, regarding either evolution or intelligent design. :D

View Post

Marian,

I have just finished reading the new book by Dr. Jonathan Wells entitled "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Darwinism and Intelligent Design." Very interesting reading. I enjoyed the book. It covered a wide variety of issues in the creation/evolution debate: fossil record, Darwin's strongest evidence, molecular phylogeny, missing link, irreducible complexity, etc.

The book does clearly define what ID is and why it is not creationism. I am a young earth creationist not an IDer and after reading this book I can say that has not changed. Altough I do agree with most of the ID science that does not make me an IDer. Read the book and you will see why I have said this.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to know what the ID movement is all about. I got my copy from http://www.arn.arg/.

Bob Barclay

#28 Guest_George R_*

Guest_George R_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:08 PM

Two Recent Books I must rave about.

I liked them so much I paid full price. (usually I wait for bargoons at the remainders pile)

1) "Dissent over Descent" Steve Fuller A++

A secular humanist takes on and exposes the naturalist bias in Darwinism.

So cool. So very readable even though it jumps around to make its connections between science and philosophy

Not a christian book ... but a defender of the ID Creationists and even defender of Biblical literalism's role in the advance of science ... from an unexpected source.

2) "Reinventing Gravity" John W Moffat

The first readable book on the history of science's struggle with gravity.

A keeper for your bookshelf. Very readable for a change.

I finally understand string theory ... and reject it,

Bonus: This guy has a new gravity theory that doesnt need dark matter, strings, superstrings, branes, black holes multiverses, or a singularity at time=0.

Yes ... he is very much a secular humanist but that doesnt intrude too often on his science.

#29 jason777

jason777

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts
  • Interests:Machining, Engine Building, Geology, Paleontology, Fishing
  • Christian
  • Springdale,AR.

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:05 PM

"The School Of Christ" by Austin T. Sparks.

One of the best spritual books you can find anywhere.It's a small book but it's effect and revelation is tremendous.

#30 TheJarJam

TheJarJam

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Indy

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:47 PM

The Irrational Atheist by Vox Day. You can download the ebook version of it for free HERE.

Vox makes Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens etc. look incredibly stupid. You'll never lose a 'religion is evil!' debate again after reading this book - guaranteed.

#31 Guest_shpongle_*

Guest_shpongle_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:53 PM

Evolution by Douglas Futuyma. It's basically a college-level textbook on the topic and reveals more depth and breadth about the evolution than 99.9% of people are aware of. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to discuss evolution, particularly those who argue against it. It's especially useful in providing background knowledge to be able to digest scientific papers on the subject.

What Evolution Is by Ernst Mayr. Not nearly as heavy (in size or content) as Futuyma's book, but still a solid overview of evolutionary theory. A bit technical in places, but a good read. Probably a good precursor to reading the Futuyma textbook.

#32 jamesf

jamesf

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • syracuse

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:24 AM

Here are some of my favorites this year.

Descartes' Bones: A Skeletal History of the Conflict between Faith and Reason. By Russell Shorto
A fascinating new book exploring how Descartes introduction of dualism resulted in the separation of science and religion. The book does not take sides on the issue of faith or evolution. However, it does give a great historical perspective on how and why science and religion became divided.

Genesis: The Scientific Quest for Life's Origins,
By Robert Hazen
Hazen is a highly regarded researcher at the Carnegie Institute and has published extensively on life’s origins. He is a wonderful writer and this is a very accessible book. Although parts probably need a little understanding of biochemistry, he has done a magnificent job providing a survey of the wide array of work in this field. (http://hazen.gl.ciw....esearch/origins)

Gorgon: The Monsters That Ruled the Planet Before Dinosaurs and How They Died in the Greatest Catastrophe in Earth's History By Peter Ward
This book is great opportunity to see how a paleontologist goes about his work. This is written more like a travelogue than a science book, but I highly recommend it if you want to see all the hard work that goes on in a paleontological ‘dig’ including the dating of a site. The book is also a great introduction to the great Permian extinction that resulted in the death of over 95% of all the species on the planet 250 million years ago. This is very very readable. Highly recommended.

When Life Nearly Died: The Greatest Mass Extinction of All Time. By Michael Benton
Like Gorgon, this is another book about the great Permian extinction. This covers a lot of the history of our scientific knowledge of extinction events and then focuses on the causes and details of the greatest threat that life on our planet has faced.

The Jesuit and the Skull: Teilhard de Chardin, Evolution, and the Search for Peking Man.
by Amir Aczel
A Jesuit priest played a large role in the discovery of the 500,000 year old skeletons of “Peking Man”. This a book on these discoveries and how the Church struggled with these findings. Interesting perspective on the relationship between the Vatican and anthropology.

The Man Who Found Time: James Hutton and the Discovery of Earth's Antiquity.
By Jack Repcheck
A short but excellent biography of James Hutton. He is often considered the father of modern geology. In the late 1700’s, Hutton took a close look at the rocks and soil in the world around him and explained why the alternating layers (sedimentary, volcanic intrusions etc) could not be the result of world wide flood. His work led to our understanding of the antiquity of the earth and served as the basis of Charles Lyells theories of geology.

Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body. By Neil Shubin
Shubin is famous for his discovery of Tiktaalik roseae, (one of the transitional fish to tetrapod species). This is a ‘popular’ book intended for the general audience about his discoveries and the evolution of the human form. Highly recommended.

#33 de_skudd

de_skudd

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:reading, learning, talking and stuff
  • no affiliation
  • Creationist
  • North Augusta, SC

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:41 AM

I just got "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins the other day, and just started reading it. It seems really good so far. There are a few other books I've picked up as well which were suggested by various friends.

I'm curious what other books people here would recommend for reading, regarding either evolution or intelligent design. :)

View Post

Starlight and Time
D. Russell Humphreys. 1994. Master Books:

This is an informative book with thought provoking theories, explaining the existence of "old" starlight in a young universe. This may be provocative to some, but others may see and find agreement with Humphreys. Then again, others will simply hate on him for positing such nonsense! Whether you agree with him or not, Humphries makes a compelling case here.

God And The Astronomers
(1978), W. W. Norton & Company
Dr. Robert Jastrow

This is an excellent read just for the closing remark:

"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountain of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

I haven’t found much of the writings by Dawkins that I’ve liked, and “The Blind Watchmaker” didn’t disappoint.

The arguments are far less than compelling than they should have been, as they stumbled from complex biological structures to the mutation rate of DNA. This book (and ultimately Dawkins) side steps several hurdles that oppose the theory of evolution (i.e. complex organs like the eyeball appearing 'all at once', 'gaps' in the fossil record, species evolution, etc.). It also negates any credibility it may have had by assuming that we got to DNA + RNA + proteins in using these assumption”:

"we shall keep in mind the fact that these very same ingredients, at least in some rudimentary form, must have arisen spontaneously on the early Earth, otherwise cumulative selection, and therefore life, would never have got started in the first place." Quote from page 128

Dawkins book is replete with presuppositions, assumptions and innuendoes.

#34 de_skudd

de_skudd

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Creationist
  • North Augusta, SC

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:31 AM

I recently read "Demon haunted World" by Carl Sagan, and it was a very good look at the way that science wotks.

Also, the old classic- "The Origin of the Species" by Charles Darwin

View Post

I've always found Sagan a capable author, especially “Broca's Brain: Reflections on the Romance of Science.”, and I found the passion in his works that could rival any theist’s (it kind of makes you wonder about his religion)

It strikes me as odd that every one either forgets to mention, or wants to forget that the second half of the title to "The Origin of the Species" is “or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life” and the Eugenics movement it spurred.

#35 de_skudd

de_skudd

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Creationist
  • North Augusta, SC

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:44 AM

Decoding the Universe by Charles Seife

Great book by an evolutionist who openly admits some "distubing" discoveries concerning information and thermodynamics.

View Post

I've heard of him, and will have to check that out....

#36 de_skudd

de_skudd

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Creationist
  • North Augusta, SC

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:04 PM

I just read "The Dawkins Delusion" - Alister McGrath . It's a great companion peice to the God Delusion by Dawkins....

It's no wonder Michael Ruse said; "The God Delusion makes me embarrassed to be an atheist".....

#37 Mirrordin

Mirrordin

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Biology, biochemistry, the bible proclaimings its message and loving God
  • Christian
  • San Diego California

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:11 PM

The Spear Of Destiny
Trevor Ravenscroft

De skudd I must ask you have YOU written any books lately? I've always found the way you words things amazing. It is always understandable and you make very valid point very elegantly.

I was reading the National Geographic today and in the first two paragraphs of the article about Darwin the article is already falling apart. They forgot to add that funny little favored races part about Darwins book when naming it.

#38 CTD

CTD

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Christian
  • Missouri

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:54 PM

http://www.creationi...Flood/index.htm

Must apologize for failing to post this earlier. After the Flood is unique. I bought extra copies for any friends & family members who'd read it. That link is to a free online version. I urge everyone to check it out.

The book starts slow, but things pick up after a couple of chapters. Turns out the Hebrews aren't the only people tracing their history back to Noah's children after all! This book has information you-know-who absolutely does not want you to know.

#39 RobotArchie

RobotArchie

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • London, UK

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:59 AM

I would suggest........ that it may be of some small interest to those who would quote (or heaven forbid, even misquote) from the works of Charles Darwin that an online collection of his works may be found at this link here:

http://darwin-online.org.uk/

#40 de_skudd

de_skudd

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Creationist
  • North Augusta, SC

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:02 AM