• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Schera Do

Schera Do

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • Interests:Critical analysis and referents, Ephectic, Ultimate questions & how to answer, political philosophy, Constitutional Conservatism
  • (private)
  • Agnostic
  • Northeastern U.S. of A.

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:15 AM

hispanic people

Spanish-speakers. I was correct when I concluded that you misused the word "racist".

Many Americans misuse this word with aggressive malice in America and they contribute to the problem. We all fight on the personal level with bigotry and inappropriate prejudice.

#42 Fjuri

Fjuri

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Belgium

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:40 AM

You are correct, I misused the word racist. I use it in a broader way. I use it for prejudice with regard to race, religion, ... (groups within the populations). Of course, in Belgium it is less of a hot-topic that the USA I suppose and so the faulty use (as I did) is also less of an issue.

Can you help me? How do you call inappropriate prejudice against:

- religious groups

- different language speaking groups

- immigrant groups

#43 piasan

piasan

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Christian
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Oklahoma

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:34 AM

You are correct, I misused the word racist. I use it in a broader way. I use it for prejudice with regard to race, religion, ... (groups within the populations). Of course, in Belgium it is less of a hot-topic that the USA I suppose and so the faulty use (as I did) is also less of an issue.

Can you help me? How do you call inappropriate prejudice against:

- religious groups

- different language speaking groups

- immigrant groups

Religious groups - religious bias; religious intollerance; or relgious discrimination.

Language groups - Most of our foriegn language speakers speak Spanish and most are from Latin America (All of the American continents south of the USA) and identify themselves as "Hispanic" and many of the others are from nations such as India and Pakistan.  While "Hispanic" is not a race this is often called "racial intollerance."   More properly it would be called "ethnic" intollerance of discrimination.

National origin - ethnic.

BTW, there is no need to be apologetic.  Your command of English is excellent and it is certainly much better than our Flemish or French.  For that reason, I feel it is up to us to close the gap whenever there is a communication problem.

#44 Schera Do

Schera Do

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • Interests:Critical analysis and referents, Ephectic, Ultimate questions & how to answer, political philosophy, Constitutional Conservatism
  • (private)
  • Agnostic
  • Northeastern U.S. of A.

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:38 AM

... Your command of English is excellent...

I agree that Fjuri's English is quite good.

We here--by the nature of our discussion--require use of English that many native speakers have not attained, nor attempt to attain. Bravo to Fjuri.

I have made it my personal goal--for decades now--to improve my English, particularly in writing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: education, creation, evolution, politics, testing, teaching

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)