driewerf

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Belgium

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:29 AM

What is the evidence that the bible is god's word?
How do you know that?
If god wrote/dictate the bible, how do you know the text we have know is still unchanged?

#2 Magnanimae

Magnanimae

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Video games, apologetics, school, music, philosophy and science, Jesus.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Las Vegas

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

The Dead Sea Scrolls are a good case. The Old Testament used today is based on the Masoretic Text. The Dead Sea Scrolls give us Old Testament writings dating 1'000 years before the Masoretic Text. After translating the scrolls we find a solid similarity to the Masoretic Text. The Old Testament did what no other historical book ever could (survived the human translation process).
  • Calypsis4 and Bmaxdlux like this

#3 Magnanimae

Magnanimae

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Video games, apologetics, school, music, philosophy and science, Jesus.
  • Christian
  • Las Vegas

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:38 PM

My source: https://www.probe.or...ad-sea-scrolls/

#4 driewerf

driewerf

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Belgium

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:40 AM

The Dead Sea Scrolls are a good case. The Old Testament used today is based on the Masoretic Text. The Dead Sea Scrolls give us Old Testament writings dating 1'000 years before the Masoretic Text. After translating the scrolls we find a solid similarity to the Masoretic Text. The Old Testament did what no other historical book ever could (survived the human translation process).

1) Other texts survived human translation process too. Homer's Illyad is just the first example that comes to mind. Is the Illyad god's word too?

2) What about the NT. If you use the Dead Sea scrolls as evidence that the OT is god's word, that leave the NT out of the equation.

3)Did the bible survive the human translation process? Why then are some books not in the bible used by Catholics (Deuteronomy), why are there such a disputes about which bible translation is the right one (KJV onlyism)?

Really "surviving the human translation process!

#5 driewerf

driewerf

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Belgium

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:16 PM

Nobody elese?

#6 Magnanimae

Magnanimae

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Christian
  • Las Vegas

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:06 PM

Sorry. Life got to me. 1) What evidence is there for the Iliad's inerrancy? Are there Mediterranean Sea Scrolls proving any of Homer 's works as perfect translations to this day? I'm just asking for evidence. And no, the Iliad is not God's word. 2) The New Testament is not out of the equation. The manuscripts we have for the New Testament are in the thousands. Homer 's Iliad reached 647 (one of the best we have). Some manuscripts date back to mere centuries after the originals like the Chester Beatty Papyri which is dated mid-3rd century. The manuscript evidence for the New Testament is the best of any ancient document and if it is not good enough for you then throw the "Iliad", "Caesar's Gallic Wars", "Tacitus' Annals of Imperial Rome", etc. out the window. 3) The Dead Sea Scrolls are solid evidence the Old Testament survived human translation. The massive manuscript database we have for the New Testament is solid evidence for New Testament validity. There is 99.5% accuracy given to NT translations. The other .5% is about simple word discrepancies and about non-major doctrines. As for why some books are not included in the Bible, I assume you mean the Apocrypha, the Early Church Fathers did not recognize the Apocryphal books as canonical. The Catholic Church incorporated the Apocrypha into Scripture in response to the Protestant Reformation. Last but not least, I do not know of any serious discrepancies with current translations other than with cult versions. As said before, there is a 99.5% accuracy given to the New Testament. Any debates like KJVonlyism are news to me. My source for response 2 and 3.http://www.str.org/a...le#.Vs-bc-qIZcs
  • Bmaxdlux likes this

#7 Magnanimae

Magnanimae

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Christian
  • Las Vegas

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:51 PM

I'm sorry for the jumbled response. I don't know how to quote and I use a tablet. Anyway, is there no response to my argument? Nothing?

#8 Dave

Dave

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Christian
  • Arizona

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:26 AM

I'm sorry for the jumbled response. I don't know how to quote and I use a tablet. Anyway, is there no response to my argument? Nothing?

Hello Magnanimae, welcome to the forum.

You're absolutely right about the extant historicity of the Bible. There is much more that can be added to expand one's knowledge in this regard. One of my favorite Bible teachers, Chuck Missler, has a fascinating video on just this subject that would remove all doubt that the Bible is indeed God's word in anyone whose mind is capable of objective thinking.

You can view this video at:

Proof the Bible is True

Unfortunately, the information in this video is completely useless to people who are proudly and willingly hard-hearted, ignorant and closed minded (avowed atheists). These people will ask questions like, "Is the Bible really God's word?" not to learn, but to rebut with classic cut-and-paste anti-Bible rhetoric.

I offer this video, however, in the hopes that it might arm Christians who have a heart for apologetics with the information that they need to defend their faith.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users