what if

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:55 AM

Because information ia not a physical phenominon code can not store information.
Think about it. Ask yourself what a thought looks like? It has no physics. Look at DNA under a microscope--see any information?

Code is just that a variable. We associate code to meaning via our mental process.
I think this is true of DNA code also. A mental process is necessary to determine what information code represents.

I have used code in this post (English Code).
The "reader" "learned" what the specific order of this code means. A memtal state is needed to process code. Information is not avaialable in the physical realm.

then, by your statement above, one could conclude that DNA has a "mind", because it certainly does decode gene sequences into proteins.

DNA "knows" when to start and stop transcription.
DNA "knows" when it's time to divide.
james tour specifically mentions the rise of "information" in the context of building these types of molecules.

#42 mike the wiz

mike the wiz

Veteran member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • Interests:Refuting baloney, crushing codswallop, outwitting Khan.
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • England

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

What If: then, by your statement above, one could conclude that DNA has a "mind", because it certainly does decode gene sequences into proteins.

DNA "knows" when to start and stop transcription.
DNA "knows" when it's time to divide.
james tour specifically mentions the rise of "information" in the context of building these types of molecules.

And letters know when to form words, and know when a capital letter comes, usually at the start of a sentence.

The intelligence isn't located in the DNA, the DNA is programmed by the intelligence, computer programs aren't doing intelligent things, they're doing what they're programmed to do.

Do differentials solve wheelspin by their appearance or has an intelligent designer created a specifically complex relationship with the gears so as to solve wheelspin?

Obviously the intelligent designer of life is on an altogether different level. When we need a new car we have to build one, when God wants a new lifeform, He creates them to self-replicate. But if you're saying there is no intelligent design in the cell, then where did it come from if you also say it wasn't abiogenesis?

It's special pleading to say that DNA code is not information, because you wouldn't say that if you were shown the same features for any other code.

#43 what if

what if

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:51 AM

It's special pleading to say that DNA code is not information, because you wouldn't say that if you were shown the same features for any other code.

i'm going by what tour had to say.
he never specified what this information is, but apparently it's required when building macromolecules.
i haven't read anything on his site that would give me a clue either.

#44 Blitzking

Blitzking

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • California

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:00 PM

I read about it last year. I don't remember the source; I think it was some museum website. Either way Miller et al. was told by the testers that the fossils they wanted to date were covered in shellac making carbon dating erroneous, and Miller said he didn't care and to do the carbon dating anyway. Miller is purposefully dishonest (unless you want to cry out a bucket brimming of willful ignorance for him?), and I wouldn't trust a single thing he or his team says.

He didn't mention shellac preservatives because shellac is an old preservative that is no longer in use. I don't have to know more than a professional paleontologist, I just have to know something

He refused to date the fossil for two main reasons. The first is that, as he stated in the video, he didn't know what the substance in the T-Rex fossil was. I have no idea what specimen they are talking about, or when this interview was done. I do know that for a while after the discovery no one knew what it is that Schweitzer found; whether it was a biofilm contamination or actual remains of dinosaur soft tissue, and if I remember correctly it took a few years to sort out......

Okay I did a quick google search and this interview took place in October of 2006, and it wasn't until 2007 when Schweitzer and her team were able to conclude that it was soft tissue remains of T-Rex.

The second reason he gives is that he knows this money is coming from creationists, and he doesn't want creationists to turn this into some big propaganda "circus". Imagine if he took the creationist money to date the dinosaur fossil, it comes out to thousands of years, and it turns out to be biofilm contamination. The damage is already done. Creationists have their propaganda and are disseminating it as fact, and he is then known as the scientist that enabled such creationist propaganda for quick cash. It would not only being doing science a disservice, but it would tarnish his reputation and destroy his career. He has good reason to be cautious about taking this money.

Better luck next time?

Nah.. He refused to date the dinosaur fossils and take the money and along with it a golden opportunity to show EVEN ONE of those 6 dinosaur fossils WITHOUT Measurable Carbon 14 content and he puts the Creationists in their place forever and gets fame fortune and glory along with it because he KNEW that EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF DINOSAUR REMAINS THAT HAS EVER BEEN DATED HAS CARBON 14 IN IT.. Which means that the Dinosaurs must be less than 50,000 years old..(Very Bad for the Mindless MYO Mud to Man Myth wouldn't you say).

Remember the scientist who expained it best? "We cant allow a divine foot in the door.."

Thats why.. You know it, and I know it

Good luck with Chuck

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Goku, Blitzking