Photo

How Can God Use A Cause If Evolution Is A Cause?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 eddified

eddified

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Mormon
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Utah

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

"What if", thank you for the Ayala quote... However, there was no explanation as to how that became a scandal (or if there was, I didn't understand how it was scandalous.)

Yes, I've noticed that "What if" often brings up the Koonin name, but it's said in such a way (in passing) that I really don't know what the importance of Koonin is, or what it has to do with the conversation.

#62 what if

what if

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:42 PM

"What if", thank you for the Ayala quote... However, there was no explanation as to how that became a scandal (or if there was, I didn't understand how it was scandalous.)

it isn't the quote, it's the alleged retraction.
i contend this "retraction" is bogus and have presented evidence to support my assertions.
the biggest piece of evidence are the letters written to science concerning this article.
not a single letter mentioned ayala and his quote.
judging from goulds stand on evolution, the letters, and the use of this quote by a natural history historian 25 years later, i am convinced ayala uttered the words attributed to him by lewin.

Yes, I've noticed that "What if" often brings up the Koonin name, but it's said in such a way (in passing) that I really don't know what the importance of Koonin is, or what it has to do with the conversation.

as far as i know, koonin does not have any connection to this discussion about ayala.

#63 Goku

Goku

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • USA

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:02 PM

A pretty famous Star Trek quote, I thought most people would recognise given they offed Spock in that film. Goku would have probably got it, as he seems up to speed given he isn't a dinosaur yet you like you guys. :rotfl3:

The original Star Trek series is a few decades before my time. I watched the original series for the first time on Netflix earlier this decade. Surprisingly I found the original series entertaining and thought provoking, which is not what I expected from a 60's TV show. Apart from the special effects it is amazing how well the original series would stack up against modern shows. Amazingly I even found the Animated Series amusing; never once did I think I would hear the term "brownian" to describe the motion of an object in a cartoon.

#64 what if

what if

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:59 PM

The original Star Trek series is a few decades before my time. I watched the original series for the first time on Netflix earlier this decade. Surprisingly I found the original series entertaining and thought provoking, which is not what I expected from a 60's TV show. Apart from the special effects it is amazing how well the original series would stack up against modern shows. Amazingly I even found the Animated Series amusing; never once did I think I would hear the term "brownian" to describe the motion of an object in a cartoon.

star trek TOS (the original series) aired the first interracial kiss between kirk and uhuru.
later in the seasons documentary, nichelle (uhuru) said they must have done 60 takes of that kiss.
shatner said it was no big deal, he always wanted to kiss nichelle anyway.

a number of guest stars have commented on how good the writing on the series was.

TOS spawned 4 spinoffs, the next generation, voyager, deep space 9, and enterprise.

yeah, star trek was a cut above the standard 60s fare of science fiction TV where lost in space or buster crabb was the norm.

#65 mike the wiz

mike the wiz

Veteran member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
  • Interests:mikey mischief.
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • England

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:53 PM

Yeah those original series were good, Goku. And amusing too, the old fashion stuff can be very cornball and dated which is entertaining. 

I liked the 80s movies the most, I think the characters are interesting and the themes in some films, though considered b movies perhaps, are lighthearted and feel-good, there is a camaraderie and I like the sounds of those 80s soundtracks which all seem to be, a lot of the time, even better than the movies. I think of some 80s movies that although weren't that good, their soundtracks were masterpieces.  

I thought this was an amusing scene, the acting is pretty good, Spock's dead-pan supercilious roboticism versus Kirk's wit.  

(background: Kirk has lost all the members of his crew to a feel-good spore which makes people act like they're on happy pills, and the only way to break the spore's power is to make them angry. LOL! So simple these ideas, but brilliant anyway.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users