Photo

Is Charles Darwin The Most Overrated Figure In History?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 what if

what if

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:40 AM

As for using evolution to enhance the psychological well-being of patients, it has been done before. I know it has been done for panic attacks.

PATIENT: DOC! you gotta help me ! !
DOC: what's your problem son ?
PATIENT: I'M FREAKING OUT ! !
DOC: relax, we arrived here naturally.
PATIENT: gee, doc, i feel sooo much better.

ask any doctor (your personal physician perhaps) if they use the theory of evolution in their daily practice.

#42 cheeseburger

cheeseburger

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • (private)
  • Atheist
  • Western Canada

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:33 PM

As for using evolution to enhance the psychological well-being of patients, it has been done before. I know it has been done for panic attacks. The basic idea of panic attacks is that it is an evolutionary side-effect of, or an overreaction of, the 'fight or flight' response. I have heard from both psychologists teaching this to their patients as well as patients themselves say that this information helps ease their panic attacks. This is true of a lot of various psychological disorders; often if the patient has a basic idea of the underlying science behind their disorder it helps them cope with it.

That's an interesting practical application of the Darwinian legacy. An acquaintance who works in a tertiary psych facility has told me that distinguishing between primitive urges and higher reasoning is an empowerment strategy used with addicts.

#43 Dredge

Dredge

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Christian
  • Old Earth Creationist
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:03 PM

ask any doctor (your personal physician perhaps) if they use the theory of evolution in their daily practice.

"In fact, over the past 100 years, almost all of biology has proceeded independent of evolution, except evolutionary biology itself. Molecular biology, biochemistry, physiology, have not taken evolution into account at all." - Dr. Marc Kirschner, chairman of the Department of Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School

#44 cheeseburger

cheeseburger

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • (private)
  • Atheist
  • Western Canada

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:53 PM

[quote name="Dredge" post="137920" timestamp="1495505008"]
ask any doctor (your personal physician perhaps) if they use the theory of evolution in their daily practice.[/quote]
"In fact, over the past 100 years, almost all of biology has proceeded independent of evolution, except evolutionary biology itself. Molecular biology, biochemistry, physiology, have not taken evolution into account at all." - Dr. Marc Kirschner, chairman of the Department of Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School[/quote]

If evolutionary ideas are such an unnecessary irrelevance why do creationists advocate microevolution within kinds?

#45 Goku

Goku

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • USA

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

Any doctor worth their salt would use ToE daily when it comes to things like antibiotic resistance, but since creationists don't call that evolution that apparently doesn't count.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users