• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bonedigger

Bonedigger

Admin Team

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Creation, Vertebrate Paleontology-particularly mammals and especially Perissodactyls & Carnivores, Hunting, Shooting, Handloading, Weaving Chainmaille, Hebrew and other Biblically relevant languages, Astronomy
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Colorado

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

We're going to do an experiment. I enabled quote embedding on the forum. What that means is, when you quote a post that already has a quote of another post, the forum will no longer remove the second level quote. The advantage to that is that you can maintain the context to which you are responding without having to do so much manipulation of the quote. The disadvantage to it, of course, is that nested quotes can proliferate very easily and get out of hand. So we ask that you be circumspect with the embedded quotes, editing them if necessary, to keep it to two or three levels. If lazy posting results in pages filled with nothing but quotes within quotes within quotes within quotes, etc., it will be disabled again.

Thanks.

BD

#2 Bonedigger

Bonedigger

Admin Team

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Creation, Vertebrate Paleontology-particularly mammals and especially Perissodactyls & Carnivores, Hunting, Shooting, Handloading, Weaving Chainmaille, Hebrew and other Biblically relevant languages, Astronomy
  • Christian
  • Colorado

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:17 PM

We're going to do an experiment. I enabled quote embedding on the forum. What that means is, when you quote a post that already has a quote of another post, the forum will no longer remove the second level quote. The advantage to that is that you can maintain the context to which you are responding without having to do so much manipulation of the quote. The disadvantage to it, of course, is that nested quotes can proliferate very easily and get out of hand. So we ask that you be circumspect with the embedded quotes, editing them if necessary, to keep it to two or three levels. If lazy posting results in pages filled with nothing but quotes within quotes within quotes within quotes, etc., it will be disabled again.

Thanks.

BD

Just testing and illustrating.

#3 Bonedigger

Bonedigger

Admin Team

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Christian
  • Colorado

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:18 PM

Thanks.

BD

As you can see, the inner quote now remains.

#4 Bonedigger

Bonedigger

Admin Team

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Christian
  • Colorado

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:19 PM

Thanks.

BD

And with every subsequent quote:

#5 Bonedigger

Bonedigger

Admin Team

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Christian
  • Colorado

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:20 PM

Thanks.

BD

the nesting goes deeper,

#6 Bonedigger

Bonedigger

Admin Team

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Christian
  • Colorado

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:20 PM

Thanks.

BD

the nesting goes deeper,

...and deeper.

#7 Bonedigger

Bonedigger

Admin Team

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Christian
  • Colorado

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:22 PM

the nesting goes deeper,

...and deeper.

Unless there's a specific reason for so many quotes, I would recommend keeping it to only two or three levels of nested quotes.

#8 piasan

piasan

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts
  • Christian
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Oklahoma

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:48 PM

WOW ! ! !

I've been doing that for some time.  Are you sure it was disabled?

One other thing, the ten quote limit doesn't see to include embedded quotes.  I made a post in the last couple days that had 12-13 quotes counting the embedded ones.

#9 Bonedigger

Bonedigger

Admin Team

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Christian
  • Colorado

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:21 PM

WOW ! ! !

I've been doing that for some time.  Are you sure it was disabled?

One other thing, the ten quote limit doesn't see to include embedded quotes.  I made a post in the last couple days that had 12-13 quotes counting the embedded ones.

You could do it manually if you wanted, but the forum did not automatically retain the inner quote, at least not on my end. While I was in "there" changing the setting, I noticed that the quote limit is now set to 20, not 10. I don't know if I changed it a while back and forgot, or if Isaac changed it before I came along after an upgrade allowed you to specify the maximum number of quotes (it didn't before).

#10 piasan

piasan

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts
  • Christian
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Oklahoma

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:38 PM

OK.... I see the change.  Previously, when you quoted someone, the quotes in their post didn't show up. 

Now they do.

Yeah, that's going to take a little getting used to .... especially in lengthy exchanges.

##### edit #####

I just tested.... all you have to do to keep the number of levels down is delete the innermost quote.

#11 Dave

Dave

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Christian
  • Arizona

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:45 PM

Bonedigger, yeah, my brain was starting to get a bit wonkey at the deepest levels of your test quotes. Hope we don't get to see that too often. :)

#12 wibble

wibble

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Dorset

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:07 AM

A good move. I always wondered how Piasan could do it but nobody else !

#13 Fjuri

Fjuri

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Belgium

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:11 AM

Thanks.

BD

the nesting goes deeper,

...and deeper.

... and out of hand... ;) (j/k I won't do it for realz)

#14 piasan

piasan

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts
  • Christian
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Oklahoma

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:09 PM

A good move. I always wondered how Piasan could do it but nobody else !

1)  "Quote" the first post you want to cite.  Snip unwanted material.  Place cursor at bottom of quote and within the quote box.

2)  "Quote" the next post you want to cite.  Snip unwanted material.  (Repeat as necessary.)

3)  Move cursor below the quote box and make your comments.

#15 Bonedigger

Bonedigger

Admin Team

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Christian
  • Colorado

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:43 AM

Hmm. Interesting. If your options are set for you to be notified if someone quotes one of your posts, the notifications continue even if it's a second or third layer quote (i.e. you get notified if someone quotes a post that quoted you).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users