Who Are You?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 philosophik

philosophik

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:I'm not agnostic. There wasn't a label for my worldeview, so I had to pick one. My worldview: I am You.
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • CA

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:09 AM

I have a question I'd like to ask everyone here. Who are you?

Or in other words, I want to know when you ask yourself, "Who am I?" what is the answer you get. It's a question few have taken the time to truly investigate, and thus live life unaware of their true nature. Does anyone here truly know who they are and would they be willing to share with me what they think that is? I'm curious to see how varied the answers will be, and not from person to person, but within each individual's idea of themself. So if you could humor me so we could begin a discussion on the nature of the Self and tell me, what is it exactly that you know yourself to be--in your totality--and what it means to be yourself, I think this could be a fascinating topic.

I can tell you this much. If this is the first time you really asked yourself in earnest with the goal of truly discovering your Self, you will soon find that you are not what you have thought yourself to be if you thought that your thinking was you. Before I elaborate on what that means, tell me: Who are you?

#2 what if

what if

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:43 AM

i am many things, depending on the situation.
i can rip snort with the best of them, or i can be meek and chaste.
i'm a complete moron, but yet highly intelligent.
i often wonder how it all began.
i can be a complete a$$, but thoughtful and caring.

so, who am i?
it apparently depends on the situation/ mood i'm in

#3 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts
  • Interests:Information theory, electronics, videography, writing, human psychology, psychotherapy
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Detroit Michigan area

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

What if said:

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:43 AM
i am many things, depending on the situation.
i can rip snort with the best of them, or i can be meek and chaste.
i'm a complete moron, but yet highly intelligent.
i often wonder how it all began.
i can be a complete a$$, but thoughtful and caring.

so, who am i?
it apparently depends on the situation/ mood i'm in

It does not d epend on the situation but rather your cognition about the situation. There are no emotion triggering components in any situation. It is our thinking that triggers our emotions.

In other words we talk to ourselves in simple declarative sentences.

#4 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts
  • Interests:Information theory, electronics, videography, writing, human psychology, psychotherapy
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Detroit Michigan area

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:00 PM

Philosophik said:

I have a question I'd like to ask everyone here. Who are you?

Or in other words, I want to know when you ask yourself, "Who am I?" what is the answer you get. It's a question few have taken the time to truly investigate, and thus live life unaware of their true nature. Does anyone here truly know who they are and would they be willing to share with me what they think that is? I'm curious to see how varied the answers will be, and not from person to person, but within each individual's idea of themself. So if you could humor me so we could begin a discussion on the nature of the Self and tell me, what is it exactly that you know yourself to be--in your totality--and what it means to be yourself, I think this could be a fascinating topic.

I can tell you this much. If this is the first time you really asked yourself in earnest with the goal of truly discovering your Self, you will soon find that you are not what you have thought yourself to be if you thought that your thinking was you. Before I elaborate on what that means, tell me: Who are you?

Here is the way I often explain it: Consider a basket of fruit. We reach into the basket and pull out a ripe pear. Another time we reach in and pull out a delicious apple. Still, an\other time we reach in and pull out some gapes. Some of the grapes are rotten. Some are sweet and succulent. And so it goes. Can we gemneralize and say one behavior describes us? No, for we are the sum total of everything we think say and do.

However, at the head of the list I believe I am in control of me with all that that entails. So, I choose to talk sense to myself and enjoy myself and others as much as I can. Most of all not blaming others for what I tell myself by my sometimes thinking stupidly.

#5 what if

what if

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:42 PM

There are no emotion triggering components in any situation. It is our thinking that triggers our emotions.

i 100% disagree.
i can describe situations to you that would definitely trigger your emotions, no matter which side of the fence you're on.
i tend to agree that our environment shapes our psyche, which is an interesting phenomenon in itself.

it's impossible to label myself as one type of person, i do seem empathic if i pay close enough attention.

#6 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Detroit Michigan area

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:23 AM

What if said:

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:42 PM
Mike Summers, on 03 Jun 2017 - 2:27 PM, said:

There are no emotion triggering components in any situation. It is our thinking that triggers our emotions.
i 100% disagree.

i can describe situations to you that would definitely trigger your emotions, no matter which side of the fence you're on.

‚Äč

Ok! Suppose you described the situation in a language I do not speak? My point is we must individually process stimuli as we become aware of it. We are in charge of the value we attribute to stimuli which is why everyone can respond to the same stimuli in any of several ways. We respond to stimuli based on our belief system

#7 what if

what if

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:48 AM

Ok! Suppose you described the situation in a language I do not speak?

even better.
a graphical representation would make more of an impact than a plain vanilla oral description.

My point is we must individually process stimuli as we become aware of it.

correct, and how we interpret this stimuli is largely cultural based.
i think the OP has it somewhat correct, i am you, different cultures sure, but we all have the same basic hopes, fears, and dreams.

We are in charge of the value we attribute to stimuli which is why everyone can respond to the same stimuli in any of several ways. We respond to stimuli based on our belief system

maybe.
i would think our parents have a great deal to do with how we process stimuli

#8 Schera Do

Schera Do

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • Interests:Critical analysis and referents, Ephectic, Ultimate questions & how to answer, political philosophy, Constitutional Conservatism
  • (private)
  • Agnostic
  • Northeastern U.S. of A.

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:00 AM

My first class in college, APL programming language, my teacher--not a professor--wanted us to consider a question: "Who knows you?"
  • mike the wiz likes this

#9 mike the wiz

mike the wiz

Veteran member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • Interests:mikey mischief.
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • England

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:11 AM

I hope this thread isn't of this type;

"Who are you?"

"Well I'm Ted, I'm an engineer and have a wife, I like golf,..."

"No, who are you?"

"Well I'm Ted really aren't I, I am what I am, a human person with certain personality,.."

"No, who are you?"

"Well.....erm............I'm.............I'm......I'm Ted, I have a wife I like golf I'm a happy go lucky person/2

"No, who are you?"

.......................silence.

Because if this is an exercise in how it's not possible to answer that question, I myself think that's because it's too hard to put the answer into words. 

My answer is this; it's not possible to convey the answer using any code/language, because that wouldn't give you the full knowledge of who I am. 

#10 Schera Do

Schera Do

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • Interests:Critical analysis and referents, Ephectic, Ultimate questions & how to answer, political philosophy, Constitutional Conservatism
  • (private)
  • Agnostic
  • Northeastern U.S. of A.

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:39 PM

With respect to "the nature of the Self", as found in the OP, I've been re-reading Freud's Civilization and Its Discontents and recently finished Jung's The Undiscovered Self. I suggest those books for some insight.

We know--from historical threads and posts--that we are not "what we eat", but, rather, what we don't excrete. Consult the Memory Division for that content, if desired.

About the question, one might begin with what one does. I might declare that I am what I do.

On the other hand, if I work at Starbucks but dream continously of being an author, then am a Starbucks Baraster and Silly Dreamer? Further, I may do those things while, also, I urinate, deficate, sleep, eat, mow the lawn, weed the garden, vacuum the carpets, cook dinners and wash clothes, among other things, none of which may be performed as my employment--if I am employed.

If I go to an interview for a job, then my interviewer answers the question with, "double felon with a spotty employment record", and shows me the door.

If Anthony Weiner has had s@x with some of the 14 and 15-year olds he's been sexting, then what is the answer for that man? Some of you out there will answer, the envy of your eye. Weiner might answer, "Huma Abedin's husband and occasional part of a threesome with Mrs. Clinton, a. k. a. Her Thighness.

It seems that "who am I" can be answered with what I do plus dozens of considerations and it might take a very long time to finish, which is not, in my opinion, the same thing as being, "too hard to put ... into words." I may never finish and in the middle of it all, I might have an accident and become parapalegic and ruin the whole description!

I was a computer programmer for a corporation.

I was an antiques salesman and clerk.

I was a 100-year chain-of-title report generator for an oil and gas company.

I think it's safe and most meaningful to answer with what I do. I don't think this is "an exercise in how it's not possible to answer [the] question?", as "mike the wiz" lamented, though it may be difficult to require that ever person use the same criteria.

Who am I? I am co-primary care for a parent with cancer and handyman for the other parent who's physical condition requires that I do all of the heavy and strenuous yard tasks. I am a wordsmith. I am an American Constitutional Conservative.

#11 Sleepy House

Sleepy House

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • (private)
  • Creationist
  • United States

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:18 PM

Who am I? Or who am I not? I've noticed people largely identify who they are by who they are not. "I am not an angry person, I am not a greedy person, or I am a person who doesn't put up with nonsense."

These are all valid answers if someone is asking after personal traits and tendencies. They relate directly to your life situation rather than your life. An emotion is nothing more than the body's response to a thought, and since emotions are something people use to define themselves, I suppose one could say, "I am my thoughts." But this would be false.

Descartes said "I think therefore I am." I see an error in this. Thought requires consciousness, but consciousness does not require thought. People say "I think" but they may as well be saying "I circulate my blood." Thoughts cannot really be stopped. So if we cannot answer who we are based on thought, how can we answer with any truth?

We cannot.

God said, "I am that I am." Perhaps that's only correct response to such a question.
  • Mike Summers and mike the wiz like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users