• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,239 posts
  • Interests:mikey mischief.
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • England

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:59 AM

Does anyone else become slightly discombobulated by multiple choice? What I mean is, I would have got 100% on that 10 question quiz but for the fact there was another option that I knew if I chosen, I would get it wrong.

I was right, the correct answer was fossils, and I would have answered the question as, "fossils" had I not been distracted by DNA.

That's why I have designed my own quiz which better determines knowledge, since we are trying to determine knowledge and understanding of evolution theory. I shall only give you your score if you take the quiz, and tell you how many you got right and your percentage but I won't tell anyone the correct answers, since we are determining knowledge but I imagine there will be few takers of the mikey-quiz. Here it is for anyone interested, as I do believe my test is a better more direct evaluation of the knowledge of evolution theory; (note some answers don't have to be specifically correct, they just have to show an understanding of evolution theory so your description just has to show you understand the question properly) --don't worry they're not all hard, some questions are more questions about science since we are often told we are ignorant of science as well as evolution--

THE EVO MIKEY QUIZ:

1. If an example of homology is the pentadactyl limb, then give an example of analogue features shared/homoplasy.

2. Which of the two mechanisms according to evolution theory (mutations and naturals selection), is responsible for providing new genetic information?

3. Species is to speciation as _________ is to genera.

4. If an ape is more arboreal is it progressing towards bipedal? (yes or no)

5. If confirmation evidence for macro evolution is a transitional form, are transitional forms proof of evolution according to how science operates?

6. If one hundred experiments don't prove you right, can one experiment prove you wrong or only many?

7. If we have a tally of evidence to support a theory, what type of logical reasoning is this regarded as?

8. If a feature/characteristic which is now used for insulation is later used for flight (feathers) this might be an example of e--------n.

9. What is the terminology if information is reintroduced into a gene pool by individuals of  a group which has only diverged from the main population recently? g--- ----

10. Give the name of an alleged fossil species for bird evolution.

11. Give the name of an alleged fossil species for whale evolution.

12. Mammals were said to have evolved from reptiles, what then did reptiles evolve from?

13. Does evolution theory state that a more modern, surviving species today is more evolutionary fit than an ancestor was, which we allegedly evolved from?

14. What is another name for normalised selection? s-----.

15. Did chimps share a common ancestor with humans or are chimps an ancestor of humans?

16. Does evolution theory claim that humans were once not human?

17. To say evolution has to individually explain how each s@x arose for horses, and also for humans and bunnies, is a good understanding of what evolution says. (yes or no)

18. If we find a fossil which pre-dates it's progenitor/ancestor, is it correct to presume that this is comparable to a son being found to be older than his father?

19. If humans help to preserve an endangered species, is this a matter of the theoretics of evolution theory?

20. There are two types of main evidence we can categorise generally for science, one is falsification evidence the other is c----------- evidence.

21. If mammals evolved from reptiles, did mammals evolve from crocodiles?

22. Give an example of a vestigial feature.

23. Which mechanism of evolution would be regarded as random?

24. Which is factual? Mutations or natural selection, or neither or both?

25. If Darwin was around today, would he accept evolution theory as he presented it back then?

(Alteration; the questions highlighted in blue are easier, so that percentage or less scored will represent a level of understanding of evolution which is not all that good.)

#22 mike the wiz

mike the wiz

Veteran member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,239 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • England

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:10 AM

YOUR RESULTS FOR THE EVO MIKEY TEST WHICH YOU MUST TAKE OR PERISH SHORTLY WILL BE JUDGED THUS; ;)

44% of the evo mikey quiz are easy questions. So with some wiggle-room for common error, Ergo;

40% or less = Fairly poor understanding of evolution and could do better to read up on it more.

45% - 65% = An okay understanding of evolution, (can't be called ignorant of evolution)

65% - 100% = A  good understanding of evolution and the issues involved.

Only the supreme mikey can score your test. :yoda: 

:worship:  :D

#23 what if

what if

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:43 AM

i'll take this one.

1. If an example of homology is the pentadactyl limb, then give an example of analogue features shared/homoplasy.

i got this one wrong.

2. Which of the two mechanisms according to evolution theory (mutations and naturals selection), is responsible for providing new genetic information?

mutations.
natural selection is a meaningless term.

i got this one wrong.

it isn't "progressing" to anything.

5. If confirmation evidence for macro evolution is a transitional form, are transitional forms proof of evolution according to how science operates?

no.

6. If one hundred experiments don't prove you right, can one experiment prove you wrong?

yes.

7. If we have a tally of evidence to support a theory, what type of logical reasoning is this regarded as?

i got this one wrong.

8. If a feature/characteristic which is now used for insulation is later used for flight (feathers) this might be an example of e--------n.

wishful thinking, or a "just so" story.
if i run into the too many quotes error i'm gonna evolve me a big ol' hammer.

9. What is the terminology if information is reintroduced into a gene pool by individuals of  a group which has only diverged from the main population recently? g--- ----

transposons, although there are other possibilities.
the cell itself might manufacture these sequences.
HGT events, but these are rare in eukaryotes.
base pair insertions.
the most likely of the above 4 is the first one.

i got this one wrong.

i got this one wrong.

12. Mammals were said to have evolved from reptiles, what then did reptiles evolve from?

good question.

13. Does evolution theory state that a more modern, surviving species today is more evolutionary fit than an ancestor was, which we allegedly evolved from?

no.
genomes often evolve with a decreasing fitness.

nonsense.

15. Did chimps share a common ancestor with humans or are chimps an ancestor of humans?

another good question.

yes, but the evidence isn't cooperating.

17. To say evolution has to individually explain how each s@x arose for horses, and also for humans and bunnies, is a good understanding of what evolution says. (yes or no)

no.

18. If we find a fossil which pre-dates it's progenitor/ancestor, is it correct to presume that this is comparable to a son being found to be older than his father?

no.

19. If humans help to preserve an endangered species, is this a matter of the theoretics of evolution theory?

no.

20. There are two types of main evidence we can categorise generally for science, one is falsification evidence the other is c----------- evidence.

i would imagine confirmation.

sorry, i got the dreaded "too many quotes" error.

#24 what if

what if

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:56 AM

not necessarily.

the integrity of "doctor" arrowsmith.

ill defined question.
the only completely random operation i can think of is a base pair insertion.

mutations.

25. If Darwin was around today, would he accept evolution theory as he presented it back then?

no.
darwins theory was revised twice since he proposed it.
  • mike the wiz likes this

#25 mike the wiz

mike the wiz

Veteran member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,239 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • England

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:23 AM

"What If", I enjoyed the humour but don't forget you have to answer them how an evolutionary scientist would according to the official theory of evolution they put forward, since the complaint is that we don't understand the mainstream evolution theory. That's the point of this topic, to see if we can understand the evolutionists evolution, not to argue it.

With that in mind you scored 11 correct of 25 or 44% but had you answered properly you may have scored better. For example I think it's likely you could come up with an example of a vestigial, so I am not sure how relevant your score is since you didn't fully take it seriously.

#26 what if

what if

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:07 AM

"What If", I enjoyed the humour but don't forget you have to answer them how an evolutionary scientist would according to the official theory of evolution they put forward, since the complaint is that we don't understand the mainstream evolution theory. That's the point of this topic, to see if we can understand the evolutionists evolution, not to argue it.

i don't care what "evolutionary theory" says.
what matters is how it happens, and it isn't by any kind of "gradual accumulation".
"natural selection" is nothing more than a particular ordering of the data, which is based on the subjective placement of fossils.
the modern synthesis is simply wrong.

With that in mind you scored 11 correct of 25 or 44% but had you answered properly you may have scored better. For example I think it's likely you could come up with an example of a vestigial, so I am not sure how relevant your score is since you didn't fully take it seriously.

but mikey, i'm not "proper".

#27 what if

what if

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

That's the point of this topic, to see if we can understand the evolutionists evolution, not to argue it.[/font]

well see, that's the problem.
a large number of scientist are aware there is a third synthesis looming.
the atenberg 16 addressed most of the problems of the modern synthesis and considered it "extended", but there are others that say the modern synthesis should be thrown out all together.
so, which one is being presented by evolutionists?
the gradual accumulation, progressive paradigm?
we've already seen that the above is wrong.

#28 what if

what if

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:32 AM

since this is a thread about "understanding evolution"
this is a part of post 81 (page 5) in my "is evolution a proven fact" thread:

It is important to be clear about common, though not necessarily universal, assumptions of mid-20th Century biology that have been discarded. A partial listing would include at least the following:

• The genome is always a well-organized library of genes.

• Genes usually have single functions that have been specifically honed by powerful natural selection.

• Species are finely adjusted to their ecological circumstances due to efficient adaptive adjustment of biochemical functions.

• The durable units of evolution are species, and within them the organisms, organs, cells, and molecules, which are characteristic of the species.

• Given the adaptive nature of each organism and cell, their machinery can be modeled using principles of efficient design.

#29 mike the wiz

mike the wiz

Veteran member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,239 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • England

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:57 AM

"What If", can this discussion be taken elsewhere this is just a topic for quizzes about evolution theory. (I'm sure there are technical areas of evo you do understand, my quiz is only a general knowledge).

#30 Fjuri

Fjuri

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Belgium

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:28 AM

THE EVO MIKEY QUIZ:

The eye

Mutations

Sad Creationists

No

Yes (though not in the obvious way that is wrong)

6. If one hundred experiments don't prove you right, can one experiment prove you wrong or only many?

Yes

Adbuctive reasoning

Eevolution? (can't find another word to match the -'s)

Gene flow

Archaeopteryx

Dorudon

Amphibians

No

Selection?

Common ancestor

Yup

No

No

Yes

Confirmation

Nope

Creationists

Mutations

Both

Nope

#31 Goku

Goku

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • USA

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:57 AM

THE EVO MIKEY QUIZ:

1. Echolocation of bats and whales.

2. Mutations

3. I've never heard of a specific word for the evolution of new genera. Macro evolution in science is defined as "evolution above the species level", which would mean the evolution of new genera would qualify as the lowest possible macro evolution, but in creationist circles it is often considered micro evolution and not macro evolution.

4. No.

5. No; it is evidence, not "proof".

6. Only one is required

7. Induction

8. Exaptation

9. Gene flow

10. Archaeopteryx

11. Ambulocetus

12. Amphibians

13. No

14. Not sure I've heard of normalized selection before, but I'll guess stabilizing selection.

15. Former

16. Yes

17. No

18. Yes

19. I don't understand the question.

20. Confirmation

21. No

22. Appendix

23. Genetic drift

24. Both

25. Assuming he sat down and talked with evolutionary biologists over a cup of tea or beer, then not in its entirety.

#32 mike the wiz

mike the wiz

Veteran member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,239 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • England

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:08 PM

Sorry Goku I had a brain fart, I meant to say "species is to species as --------is to genera". Don't know how I didn't see that, Lol. I will just cut out question two and give the new scores in the next post. It's a crap question that anyway, someone must have possessed me for that question and used my hands to type it. ;)

#33 mike the wiz

mike the wiz

Veteran member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,239 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • England

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:47 PM

MIKEY QUIZ. (I don't count question 3, as it was a mistake I made)

Goku got 19 out of 24      =    79.1%

Fjuri got 18 out of 24      =     75%

What If got 12 out of 24   =     50%

-------------------------------

40% or less = Fairly poor understanding of evolution and could do better to read up on it more.

45% - 65% = An okay understanding of evolution, (can't be called ignorant of evolution)

65% - 100% = A  good understanding of evolution and the issues involved.

-------------------------------

(Eventually I will publish the answers)

#34 what if

what if

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:15 PM

. . . someone must have possessed me . . .[/font]

koooonin.
kooooooooooonin.

#35 what if

what if

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:19 PM

What If got 12 out of 24   =     50%

meh, no big deal.
most of the questions (probably all), are based on the modern synthesis.
almost all of the scientific community knows it is in need of dire help.

#36 Blitzking

Blitzking

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • California

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:27 PM

For the first quiz my results were this:

"Your results for this quiz have been calculated and are presented below:

0%
You were 0% correct.

0%

I know lab rats smarter than you. What rock have you been hiding under anyways.I am suprised you even know how to click a mouse."

In all fairness I missed two questions my first time (92%). I missed the first question; I said "true" because that's what I thought they wanted. Then I said we evolved from monkeys; I figured that's probably not the answer they were looking for, but if you look at our ancestors about 30 million years ago you would call it a monkey, so I think it is accurate to say we evolved from monkeys (just not extant monkeys). After my first time I changed my monkey answer to "false", kept on not getting 100, and eventually read the first question carefully and realized the answer is false. Then I was able to achieve my score above.

The second quiz is similar to what you would get in an introductory evolutionary biology exam, only shorter in length. Got a perfect my first time.

If you want a more challenging quiz I found this, although it emphasizes population genetics rather than evolution in general: https://highered.mhe...ple_choice.html

I got 91%, or 39/43.

"but if you look at our ancestors about 30 million years ago you would call it a monkey,"

How do we do that? I mean "look at our ancestors about 30 million years ago". Do I have to look at an artists drawing in a textbook? Or do you have anything more... You know.. "Substantial"... LOL

"I think in fifty years, Darwinian evolution will be gone from the science curriculum...I think people will look back on it and ask how anyone could, in their right mind, have believed this, because it's so implausible when you look at the evidence."

(Dr. Johnathan Wells,

#37 Blitzking

Blitzking

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Christian
  • California

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:41 PM

Look, I'm a stubborn old coot, and I refuse to answer unanswerable questions ... as Mike Summer said, how do you answer questions about something that never happened.

Virtually all of the questions in the quiz I linked to deal with micro evolution, not macro evolution, but it isn't a cake walk either.

I didn't like the first quiz either due to the religious questions, although the correct answer to the first question is "false"; it asked if evolution of major groups is an "observed fact", and it isn't - it's inferred from the data like transitional fossils and DNA. So you actually got that question right!

The second quiz is more straight and you got 100% which is good.

"it's inferred from the data like transitional fossils and DNA."

HUH?? Why would ANYONE "infer" such madness?? DNA is evidence for common designer and due to the law of Non-Contradiction.... You know the rest by now....

AND

"There are gaps in the fossil graveyard, places where there should be intermediate forms, but where there is nothing whatsoever instead. No paleontologist..denies that this is so. It is simply a fact, Darwin's theory and the fossil record are in conflict."

(Dr. David Berlinsky)

"I myself am convinced that the theory of evolution, especially to the extant that it's been applied, will be one of the greatest jokes in the history books of the future. Posterity will marvel that so flimsy and dubious a hypothesis could be accepted with the incredible credulity that it has."

(Malcolm Muggeridge)

#38 Blitzking

Blitzking

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Christian
  • California

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:14 AM

Dave: It's a real thing. M the w would probably know the name of the "When did you quit beating your wife?" fallacy

Begging the question fallacy, Dave.

EXAMPLE; "Higher unemployment is indeed what we are dealing with lately as the other party mentions, and what we have seen for a while now because the last government increased cuts to jobs by shutting down libraries and all sorts of places."

The begging the question is committed when rather than arguing the case, the case is granted surreptitiously within a statement. A more overt example would be your pretty good example of asking someone when they stopped doing something. A more clever BTQ is if it sounds like the case is proven, but really isn't. Those cuts to those jobs happened in fact, a long time ago, so the present cause for unemployment can't be the last government so it's just a way of blaming the other party and removing focus from themselves. I have seen this last one in real life, the previous PM David Cameron, always would refer to what the previous labour government done wrong, even if those things done wrong were done five years or more ago so as it would be taken for granted that the true cause of the poor running of the country would be the previous government rather than his government. 

I like Stephen Meyer's example the best even though it's not the best example of the BTQ;

" Oh dear I have fallen into this hole, I need a ladder to get out. I will just pop home and get a ladder then bring it back and use it to climb out of this hole. "

I like that because it's the kind of brain-fart we all occasionally commit. :D Sometimes the BTQ can be committed unwittingly because of sloppy thinking. 

You can also get question-begging-epithets too, certain words which themselves aren't arguments but they are just emotive words designed to influence people and manipulate them into believing what they are saying. This is a very good example of that;

"Well, yes I understand why as a Christian you must follow the Christian gospel but the point is you're out of touch because we know most people these days would accept h*m*s*xuality and that homophobia is really no different from racism."

BTQ = homophobia, which is a deliberate attempt to LABEL someone as having hatred for G*y people. Notice we have to take it for granted that the Christian has this genuine hatred/fear? A popular example is people not in favour of letting immigrants in will be called, "racist". This is basically an ad hominem attack in it's true form but also it's unethical to describe someone as a racist if you don't know they are, because it is immoral to call someone guilty of a pretty bad thing, without knowing or caring whether they really are that thing which it seems to me would require telepathy on their part. 

But can you spot the more subtle question-begging terminology in my example?

It was, "out of touch", and, "these days", because this implies only modern wisdom is valid. (Argumentum Ad Novitatem)

attachicon.gifnovelty.jpg

"BTQ = homophobia, which is a deliberate attempt to LABEL someone as having hatred for G*y people."

Arent Fear and Hatred 2 completely different emotions?

Wouldnt it be much more accurate to use the term "Misóhomo"

I am merely asking a rhetorical question Mikey, It would be quite difficult for me to pluck up enough stoutheartedness and temerity to question your prodigious commamd of the King's English my fine lad..

#39 Fjuri

Fjuri

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Belgium

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:54 AM

Blizking, would you participate in Mike the Wiz's Quiz?

#40 mike the wiz

mike the wiz

Veteran member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,239 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • England

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:19 AM

Blitzking: I am merely asking a rhetorical question Mikey, It would be quite difficult for me to pluck up enough stoutheartedness and temerity to question your prodigious commamd of the King's English my fine lad..

Indeed thou art a fine jewel among hobbits, as Fjuri is a fine aroma amongst dung. :rotfl3:

BK: Arent Fear and Hatred 2 completely different emotions?

Wouldnt it be much more accurate to use the term "Misóhomo"

Maybe. But as you know we don't really hate people which is what counts IMHO.

What If: koooonin.
kooooooooooonin. 

:D

In that case I guess he did take the quiz after all. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users