Dave

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Arizona

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:19 PM

I've been following this in the news for some time now ... the giant magma bubble underneath Yellowstone National Park.

I think we can all agree that something of this magnitude truly would be an extinction level event. What is disconcerting is that scientists disagree on when it might happen. It could be tomorrow, or it could be 100,000 years from now.

We might tend to say, "So what?" and lump it in with many of the other alleged ELEs that could befall the earth sometime in the future.

The reason I'm taking this one seriously is because of recent news coming from America's first national park.

Scientists say that there are three indicators that the magma is getting ready to burst through and become the largest super volcano known to man.

1) A general, relatively rapid heating up of the ground in the existing Yellowstone caldera.

2) A swelling, or general rising up of the ground.

3) An increase in seismic activity in the area.

So, here's what is happening:

1) Temps on the ground are indeed rising. The park service had to close a road in one area because the asphalt was melting. Measured ground temps overall generally are increasing.

2) The ground is rising by 10 centimeters a year. It has been for some time now.

3) There have been 500 measurable seismic events centered in the Yellowstone caldera over the past week or so. The highest one was 4.5. Although seismic events in the area are fairly common, the latest series show a definite rise in incidence.

NASA has diverted a special "spy" plane from observing terrorist locations to make constant flights over Yellowstone with its ground-penetrating cameras to keep an eye on the magma dome. The roof of the dome is just a few kilometers from the surface, as is indicated by the depth of the origination point of the earthquakes.

Just about everybody agrees that if this one blows it could very well be an ELE because of the "nuclear winter" that all that ash in the atmosphere would create by blocking out the sun worldwide. Locally, meaning 20 western states, most life would be snuffed out in the first couple of weeks.

Here is a good video about this. I encourage all to view it, then comment.

Added in edit: I just read the comments to this video and apparently this video has a number of ads. I apologize. I didn't realize. I use adblocker and never see ads in YouTube videos, so I didn't realize. I hope they aren't too intrusive.

#2 mike the wiz

mike the wiz

Veteran member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,230 posts
  • Interests:mikey mischief.
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • England

Posted 25 June 2017 - 02:48 AM

Dave, Dave, Dave....that isn't going to happen. God won't let the world be consumed in a cloud before His will is born out. 

I predict in the next few months it will all settle down.

You can count on God. You can risk it for the biscuit with God.

I'll remind Him about it tonight in prayer and expect it to be settled down and come to nothing. Or at least expect it won't be a world scale disaster.

#3 aelyn

aelyn

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • France

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:09 AM

I'll remind Him about it tonight in prayer

Why ?

#4 mike the wiz

mike the wiz

Veteran member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,230 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • England

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:22 AM

Aelyn: Why ?

Good point. I didn't mean to imply that God needs reminding as such. God doesn't need me or anyone else, and He has all-knowledge.

See - had my words been a passage in the bible you would now say, "a contradiction, the bible says God needs reminding of something!"

But in fact I meant it in the context that us Christians would immediately understand - that God likes us to pray. God responds when we cry out because He wants that fellowship with His people, that He is our God and we are His people, we must humble ourselves before Him.

The book of Jonah is an example of God's conditional judgement. That is to say, God basically said, "if they repent then I won't destroy Nineveh." (In so many words)

Notice God was insistent with Jonah, that is because God is omniscient, He already knew they were going to repent but He had chosen to influence the people of Nineveh using Jonah, because God does "whatever He pleases."

It pleases God when we pray in faith because Hebrews 11 says; But without faith it is impossible to please Him (God) for he who comes to God must believe that He is (that He exists), and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Our faith pleases God. I am confident God won't allow a disaster that will destroy the earth, even if there is an event, I don't think it will be on a scale that would destroy the earth completely if God still has plans. I know myself, God's plan for my life and it wouldn't make much sense if I died before it happened. I suppose technically it's possible but the indications are that God means to do it before I die. We are fallible so I could be wrong in some way but it would surprise the hell out of me if I hanged tough for all these years only for God to blast me to smithereens. 

"I cannot believe that God has let me live for these three years only to let me die chained to an oar." - Charlton Heston - Ben Hur.

#5 Dave

Dave

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Christian
  • Arizona

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:57 AM

Dave, Dave, Dave....that isn't going to happen. God won't let the world be consumed in a cloud before His will is born out.

Well, yes. It goes without saying.

I purposely left out any spiritual reference in my post in the hopes of engendering comments about the physical aspects of the supervolcano.

Personally, I believe that all the talk by scientists like Hawking declaring that man needs to get off the planet in the next 100,000 years or else are so much hot wind because man doesn't have anywhere near 100,000 years. That's because I believe the stage is being set for a very-near-future fulfillment of Revelation prophecy.

What I'm thinking is that the supervolcano can easily play a role in God's cataclysmic reshaping of the earth that begins during the tribulation and culminates in the New Jerusalem. Remember, more than 2/3 of the world's population will be annihilated in just the first few years of the 7-year tribulation. That this supervolcano looks like it is fixing to blow pretty soon gives one pause in thinking about the imminency of the rapture, the tribulation and the new heaven and new earth.

So, what do the scientific-minded here think about the prospect of the Yellowstone supervolcano cutting loose with its death and destruction?

#6 mike the wiz

mike the wiz

Veteran member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,230 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • England

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:56 AM

I knew you'd have an answer like that Dave. :D Just thought I detected a tone of worry from you, as some people do tend to worry about disasters, and I didn't really know your position on that. 

#7 Dave

Dave

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Christian
  • Arizona

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:05 PM

I knew you'd have an answer like that Dave. :D Just thought I detected a tone of worry from you, as some people do tend to worry about disasters, and I didn't really know your position on that. 

Worry? Not in the least. As I believe in a pre-trib rapture, I believe I'll be able to watch the wholesale destruction of the earth from the safety of the balcony.

Sure, there are minor disasters that one must try to be aware of and prepare for. For example, you wouldn't want to be sitting on the front porch with a cold one in your hand in order to watch an approaching tornado.

But an ELE is strictly in God's hands and part of God's timing.

#8 what if

what if

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:52 PM

i believe it will take more than one super volcano to snuff out all life on this planet.

if we were honestly pursuing the innards of evolution instead of trying to make the facts fit the theory, we wouldn't have anything to worry about.
simply because we would know how to biomanufacture everything we needed.

i wonder if it will blow out my windows here in indiana.

everyone choking on sulpher dioxide, or hydrogen sulphide.

i also wonder if fracking has anything to do with this.
fracking, using extremely high pressure to get more oil from oil wells, approximately 9,000psi.

#9 Dave

Dave

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Christian
  • Arizona

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:53 PM

i believe it will take more than one super volcano to snuff out all life on this planet.

i wonder if it will blow out my windows here in indiana.

What impressed me from watching the video is that a supervolcano like the one underneath Yellowstone has a multi-layered sequence of events ... ultimately resulting in an ELE.

I'm just working from memory with this so bear with me if my numbers are wrong, but most scientists agree that all life within a 100-mile radius of the supervolcano will die immediately in the rolling cloud of 800-degree ash that initially spews from the volcano. It travels way too fast to outrun, or even outdrive. Keep in mind that since this is a supervolcano event there will be more than one volcano encompassing the entire caldera area. They've likened it to being thousands of times bigger than the Mt. St. Helens event.

Within a week or so of the supervolcano all life that breathes air will die within a dispersal area that could encompass Washington State to the west, northern Arizona to the south, southern Canada to the north, and Colorado to the east.

That's because volcanic ash dust is made up of minuscule glass particles; which you can imagine is incompatible with lungs.

The die off depends on air currents, and whether people can manage to not expose themselves to the dust. Animals will all be goners.

All this is the good news for those living outside the 20-or-so western states directly affected by the supervolcano erruption.

The bad news is that enough volcanic ash/dust will enter the upper atmosphere to spread a sun-darkening cover over the entire world that could last for years. Imagine freezing temps, no crops, and snow in the tropics in the summer. No transportation because engines can't run if they are corrupted by these airborne glass particles. Scientists estimate a 95% dieoff of the earth's population.

One can be skeptical about whether this supervolcano will blow within the next couple of generations or even within thousands of years, but scientists are not the least bit skeptical about what the result of this event would mean to life on this planet.

You mentioned fracking. If you watch the video you would discover that this thing is so huge, the teeny, tiny, little bitty, relatively immeasurable man's poking into the ground would have about as much effect on this magma dome as me stamping my foot here in Arizona would cause someone in China to become startled and jump.

#10 aelyn

aelyn

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • France

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:32 PM

@mike the wiz: Thank you for explaining!

• mike the wiz likes this

#11 what if

what if

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:27 PM

things like super volcanoes don't bother me that much, simply because humanity will survive.
we might get hurled back to the stone age, but there will be a handful that can carry on the legacy.

what i worry about the most are things like the sun going super nova, or near earth asteroids.
what's particularly unsettling about NEA is the fact that after the event, it could take up to a few years for the "final plunge into the sun".
IOW, we all can sit here and watch it happen, knowing there is no way out.
i just hope and pray i'm not around when that happens.
talk about mass hysteria.

#12 piasan

piasan

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts
  • Christian
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Oklahoma

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:54 AM

I purposely left out any spiritual reference in my post in the hopes of engendering comments about the physical aspects of the supervolcano.

Personally, I believe that all the talk by scientists like Hawking declaring that man needs to get off the planet in the next 100,000 years or else are so much hot wind because man doesn't have anywhere near 100,000 years. That's because I believe the stage is being set for a very-near-future fulfillment of Revelation prophecy.

What I'm thinking is that the supervolcano can easily play a role in God's cataclysmic reshaping of the earth that begins during the tribulation and culminates in the New Jerusalem. Remember, more than 2/3 of the world's population will be annihilated in just the first few years of the 7-year tribulation. That this supervolcano looks like it is fixing to blow pretty soon gives one pause in thinking about the imminency of the rapture, the tribulation and the new heaven and new earth.

So, what do the scientific-minded here think about the prospect of the Yellowstone supervolcano cutting loose with its death and destruction?

From a scientific standpoint....

"Pretty soon" could be next week or 100,000 years.  There have been three eruptions in the last 2.1 million years with the last one being 640,000 years ago.  So, we are in the "window." 

There have been multiple Yellowstone eruptions since the last major extinction.  Yellowstone is a "hot spot" volcano that has left a number of previous craters across much of Idaho and Utah.  It's extremely unlikely it would approach global annihilation.  Extinction would be confined to much of the United States and some of southern Canada.  

In other words, it would be a continental disaster but not global extinction.

Like what-if .... I put it under the heading of things I don't worry about.

#13 what if

what if

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:12 PM

i just visited the USGS website and accessed the subsection yellowstone volcano observatory.

they posted the following on their website:
Alert Level: Normal (2017-06-19 21:09:19)

IOW, this apparently doesn't even warrant an elevated alert.

for those that have google earth, here are the coordinates of this volcano:
Latitude: 44.615° N
Longitude: 110.6° W

the above website mentions that half of the worlds geysers are in this area.
maybe this is what keeps ol' yellowstone tamed.
if this supply of water was terminated, the results would be far worse than one super volcano.
that entire area could blow its lid.

#14 piasan

piasan

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts
  • Christian
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Oklahoma

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:01 AM

i just visited the USGS website and accessed the subsection yellowstone volcano observatory.
if this supply of water was terminated, the results would be far worse than one super volcano.

It's the other way around.....

Most of the really big volcanic eruptions begin as steam explosions.  For example Krakatoa in 1883 or (on a smaller scale) Mt. St. Helens in 1980.

No water, no steam.  The resulting volcano is a cinder cone with very little risk of a catastrophic explosion.  Paricutin in Mexico is an example.

#15 what if

what if

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:13 AM

Most of the really big volcanic eruptions begin as steam explosions.  For example Krakatoa in 1883 or (on a smaller scale) Mt. St. Helens in 1980.

No water, no steam.  The resulting volcano is a cinder cone with very little risk of a catastrophic explosion.  Paricutin in Mexico is an example.

i disagree.
i believe it's a buildup of pressure that causes a volcano to blow.
these geysers is what removes just enough heat to prevent that.
remember, we aren't talking about 2,5, or 10 of these geysers, but 100s of them.

#16 piasan

piasan

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts
  • Christian
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Oklahoma

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:33 PM

i disagree.
i believe it's a buildup of pressure that causes a volcano to blow.
these geysers is what removes just enough heat to prevent that.
remember, we aren't talking about 2,5, or 10 of these geysers, but 100s of them.

We agree that volcanos explode due to a buildup of pressure.  I guess that's kind of obvious.

We also agree that the geysers are helping to vent the heat (and pressure).   Geysers work because there is an underground chamber that is boiling ground water.  When the steam pressure reaches a certain point, the geyser erupts venting off the pressure and heat.  The Yellowstone caldera is about 1500 Sq mi.(4000 sq km).  According to Wikipedia there are about 465 geysers that are active in any given year.  That would be about one geyser every 3.2 sq mi (8.6 sq km)... and some of them erupt only once a year or so.  I doubt the amount of venting geysers provide is very significant.

Either way, I don't see Yellowstone as an immediate threat nor do I think it will cause a major extinction event when it goes off.

#17 what if

what if

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 03 July 2017 - 05:56 PM

no, i don't think yellowstone is a grave threat, but i believe it would have very nasty after effects if it blew.

#18 piasan

piasan

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts
  • Christian
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Oklahoma

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:07 PM

no, i don't think yellowstone is a grave threat, but i believe it would have very nasty after effects if it blew.

Really nasty. 

The grain belt will become a dust belt.  Global temperature reduction of several degrees for a number of years, if not decades.  Displacement of most of the US population.

If it were to happen today, my guess would be 50-100 million fatalities in the US with most of the displaced occupying Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users