Photo

The Most Vicious Animal: Easter's Quiz (To The Kids).

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Schera Do

Schera Do

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • Interests:Critical analysis and referents, Ephectic, Ultimate questions & how to answer, political philosophy, Constitutional Conservatism
  • (private)
  • Agnostic
  • Northeastern U.S. of A.

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:58 AM

[This was composed near Easter time in 2014 and was inspired to be posted here by this post in the thread, "Do Test Tube Babies Have A Human Spirit Or Soul?".]

Humans. That's what my sister's husband said to his four kids and me at my niece's Catholic Confirmation party.

He asked, "What is the most vicious animal?" We had just come from the Confirmation ceremony and I, at least, could feel still the priest's heavy words and I wondered whether he knows that the Catholic Church does not consider humans to be animals.

I do believe that he was being literal: that he thinks the difference between humans and all other species is our advanced brains, plus that opposable thumb thing--no design by the deity, whether suddenly or from the primordial ooze.

Perhaps not. Many American Catholics take the Pu Pu Platter method toward adherence and rejection of doctrine. He might reject part or all of the Bible: take the pork spare-rib but not the sliced beef and only half an egg-role. I don't admire this, though I don't have much to offer as an alternative--other than thoroughly examined opinions and a general agnosticism in all matters.

(When one comes to believe that all forms of error have been indispensable to the survival of the human species, then that person is on the road to, if not very close to, Agnosticism.)

On Easter (this is leading to an "Easter" quiz), while we have, fresh in our minds, an object--and abject--lesson on the difficulties of getting reliably factual versions of an event (NBC, Martin & Zimmerman et al, FLA), I can't avoid drawing a parallel to the leap of faith required to be genuinely Catholic: The resurrection of Jesus.

There was a public crucifixion with witnesses and a burial, yes.

The quiz: What is the reason for the existence of all the religions of the world as well as those that have existed or may be created in the future? Put another way, what is the reason that only one religion does not exist for all people?

(Giveaway hint: ______ [Adults don't get the hint.])

#2 mike the wiz

mike the wiz

Veteran member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts
  • Interests:mikey mischief.
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • England

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:20 AM

I don't know the answer, is it being asked by Catholics? (presumably?).

But my answer would be this; When you get one God make mankind in His image you get one kind made in God's image, but when you get mankind (many gods) exist, you get many gods made in mankind's image.

God is one, and is therefore one personality, but people have differing personalities.

#3 Schera Do

Schera Do

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • Interests:Critical analysis and referents, Ephectic, Ultimate questions & how to answer, political philosophy, Constitutional Conservatism
  • (private)
  • Agnostic

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:56 AM

But my answer would be this; When you get one God make mankind in His image you get one kind made in God's image, but when you get mankind (many gods) exist, you get many gods made in mankind's image.

God is one, and is therefore one personality, but people have differing personalities.

That's not the answer that I gave the kids.

Thanks for your reply and I will wait for a chance for other replies before I tell what I had in mind as an answer.

#4 Schera Do

Schera Do

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • (private)
  • Agnostic

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

I forgot to add that my answer has nothing to do with any Catholic doctrine, but rather the general assumption of all of Christianity.

#5 mike the wiz

mike the wiz

Veteran member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • England

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:10 AM

Fair enough.

I just thought my answer was an okay one since at first I thought I couldn't provide one. I am happy to read.

#6 what if

what if

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:33 AM

The quiz: What is the reason for the existence of all the religions of the world as well as those that have existed or may be created in the future?

this, my friend, is a very interesting question.
the reason is apparently built into each of us, the entire population of the planet.
me: do you feel you are more than what physical laws can explain?
80% of the responders: yes.

Put another way, what is the reason that only one religion does not exist for all people?

maybe it is indeed one "religion", only the details differ.
there seems to be the commonality of "a higher plane of existence" between most, if not all, religions.

another interesting question is, why is this phenomenon (religion) so widespread, pervasive, and robust?
you simply cannot ascribe this to some kind of "fad".

#7 mike the wiz

mike the wiz

Veteran member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • England

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:50 AM

What do you call two agnostics talking to each other in one topic?

Question marks.

:rotfl3: 

#8 Schera Do

Schera Do

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • (private)
  • Agnostic

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:08 AM

The quiz: What is the reason for the existence of all the religions of the world as well as those that have existed or may be created in the future?

this, my friend, is a very interesting question.
the reason is apparently built into each of us, the entire population of the planet.
me: do you feel you are more than what physical laws can explain?
80% of the responders: yes.

Put another way, what is the reason that only one religion does not exist for all people?

maybe it is indeed one "religion", only the details differ.
there seems to be the commonality of "a higher plane of existence" between most, if not all, religions.

another interesting question is, why is this phenomenon (religion) so widespread, pervasive, and robust?
you simply cannot ascribe this to some kind of "fad".

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

My answer I gave to the kids is definite: remember that it is pertinent to the topic of the thread referenced in the OP.

I'll wait a bit longer to reveal what I told the kids.

#9 Schera Do

Schera Do

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • (private)
  • Agnostic

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:51 AM

The quiz was conceived given my interpretation of the following:

1) Myriad religious interpretations of existence have existed throughout human history, as it existed (known and unknown to us presently); the same is true in the present; we should expect this for the future: The same can be asserted about reliqious disputes--historical, present-day and those predicted for the future;

2) There are many people who assert that evidenece of a God is everywhere;

3) There are many people who either, a] assert or believe passively that there is no evidence of a God or any gods, or b] remain indifferent entirely to the subject.

On Easter, Christians celebrate their belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ, where the qualification "their belief" is used instead of "the fact of" or, simply, "celebrate the resurrection of"--this giving rise to and explains the persistence of 1. and 3. above. If there were persuasive, demonstrable evidence of God's existence, then there would be no conflict over it (1. above) and one could simply point to that evidence and say, "There it is" and, if we thought it necessary, we would establish a global religion--for there need be only one--and we could then commence to kill each other--or not--over something else, unless there be proof of Hell, of course; And, given the "there it is" proof, we may decide that no religion is necessary.

Quiz hint: There is something not mentioned above and which remains speculation and, therefore, gives rise to the question: What is the reason that there is not either one religion for all people or none at all?

#10 Schera Do

Schera Do

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • (private)
  • Agnostic

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:30 PM

Out of how many billions of people who have died on this Earth...

How many have returned to bear witness of the afterlife?

Zero.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users