what if

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:54 AM

a thread to post your good and thought provoking questions.

first question:
why did historians use the abbreviations BC and AD when giving historical dates?
why would they use an alleged mythical event that never happened to reckon dating?

next question:
why did the apollo 8 crew read from the book of genesis, and broadcast that reading to the entire planet?

#2 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts
  • Interests:Information theory, electronics, videography, writing, human psychology, psychotherapy
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Detroit Michigan area

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:54 AM

What if said:

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:54 AM
a thread to post your good and thought provoking questions.

first question:
why did historians use the abbreviations BC and AD when giving historical dates?
why would they use an alleged mythical event that never happened to reckon dating?

From what I understand BC means before Christ and AD means after death. Who knows what thingking caused them to do so.
But that's what they did.

Look at your phrase "alleged mythical event that never happened." Think about your thinking! The word alleged means we are awaiting proof of an event one way or another. But in the rest of your statement you contradict the first part. In it you conclude the event never happened. That does not makes sense. How would you know what actually happened since you were not there to observre it? Your current age is the big give away.

[why did the apollo 8 crew read from the book of genesis, and broadcast that reading to the entire planet?

I often chide my clients when they start asking alot of why questions. Those sort of questions promote circular reasoning.

At this time what the astronaus did is considered an historical event. In the final analysis that's what they chose to do at that time.

#3 Goku

Goku

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • USA

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:55 PM

first question:

Because the system of BC/AD was made up by Christians, and Christianity was virtually the only game in town for centuries.

My understanding is that almost no professional historian doubts the existence of Jesus, although there is disagreement on just about everything that has to do with the historical Jesus.

From what I understand BC means before Christ and AD means after death. Who knows what thingking caused them to do so.

That's what I thought too when I was kid, but I always thought it strange that Jesus died around 33 AD and not 1 AD or 1 BC. As it turns out the AD is Latin for anno domini; anno meaning year and domini meaning master/lord, and so you get year of the lord.

#4 what if

what if

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • indiana

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:59 PM

Because the system of BC/AD was made up by Christians, and Christianity was virtually the only game in town for centuries.

christian or not, it's undeniable that these were men of science.
our current animal classification was from a religious man.
where does he ever say that "poof, god did it"?
he was very methodical in his analysis.
there is nothing anywhere that says you cannot be a devote religious person and a methodical science person.
the above led me to ask the next question, why do these men of science read from a religious book, especially in regards to origins?
you cannot possibly say they weren't men of science

#5 piasan

piasan

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,652 posts
  • Christian
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Oklahoma

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:51 PM

What if said:

Look at your phrase "alleged mythical event that never happened." Think about your thinking! The word alleged means we are awaiting proof of an event one way or another. But in the rest of your statement you contradict the first part. In it you conclude the event never happened. That does not makes sense. How would you know what actually happened since you were not there to observre it? Your current age is the big give away.

Close on AD, but not quite.

AD stands for "Anno Domini" or "Year of Our Lord."  It's supposed to be based on the year of His birth, not His death.

My understanding, like Goku's, is that historians pretty much agree that there was a historical person "Jesus."

next question:
why did the apollo 8 crew read from the book of genesis, and broadcast that reading to the entire planet?

After researching a number of sources....

My understanding is that they had already been told they were going to be speaking to a billion people .... more than had ever listened to a single broadcast to that time.  (The world population then was about 3.5 billion.)  The astronauts were told they should think of something appropriate.

All of them were devout Christians and felt it an appropriate message especially considering the (Christmas) season.

#### Edit ####

OOPS ! ! !  Didn't notice, Goku had commented on "AD" in his post.  Like him, I was taught in the early years of my schooling that AD meant "After Death."

#6 Blitzking

Blitzking

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • California

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:37 PM

What if said:

Close on AD, but not quite.

AD stands for "Anno Domini" or "Year of Our Lord."  It's supposed to be based on the year of His birth, not His death.

My understanding, like Goku's, is that historians pretty much agree that there was a historical person "Jesus."

next question:

After researching a number of sources....

My understanding is that they had already been told they were going to be speaking to a billion people .... more than had ever listened to a single broadcast to that time.  (The world population then was about 3.5 billion.)  The astronauts were told they should think of something appropriate.

All of them were devout Christians and felt it an appropriate message especially considering the (Christmas) season.

#### Edit ####
OOPS ! ! !  Didn't notice, Goku had commented on "AD" in his post.  Like him, I was taught in the early years of my schooling that AD meant "After Death."

"My understanding, like Goku's, is that historians pretty much agree that there was a historical person "Jesus."

Much to your chagrin (Apparently)..

"The evolution theory is purely the product of the imagination."

(Dr. Ambrose Flemming, Pres. Philosophical Society of Great Britain)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users