• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Schera Do

Schera Do

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • Interests:Critical analysis and referents, Ephectic, Ultimate questions & how to answer, political philosophy, Constitutional Conservatism
  • (private)
  • Agnostic
  • Northeastern U.S. of A.

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:48 AM

The word "evolve" is used when the word "develop" is the equivalent.

This was to be my conclusion. ...

the entry for develop ...

...[in] "related words."

I did not find the word "evolve."

evolve
What is the appropriate difference between "evolve" and "develop?" ...

When humans create or invent things, they develop those things over time, possibly decades, sometimes centuries. When a historical account of these developments is written, one may find a description of how they evolved.

1. The webster-dictionary.org site does not provide synonyms in their definitions from their "Webster's 1913 Dictionary"

2. The webster-dictionary.org site appends a definition of the subject word from "WordNet Dictionary", which may contain synonyms.

3. The webster-dictionary.org site provides a list of "Related Words" for the subject word, without reference to the origin of those "related words."

------------------

I have decided that it isn't fair that some on the list don't have dedication songs. I'm choosing songs for each entry. The Ignore Group and dedication songs, So far:

Goku (tbd)
Blitzking (Dreaming, Blondie; Midnight Special, 05/10/1979)
what if (tbd)
KenJackson (tbd)
Gneiss girl (Mother of Pearl, Roxy Music)
m-the pee-stream (Supermarket Nightmare, Victim's Family)

Let it be known that the reason "Goku" has top billing--forevermore--is that his offense was particularly....offensive. I'll refresh memories with two words: Anderson Cooper. The song for "Goku" will be well-chosen when I choose it.

#22 Goku

Goku

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • USA

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:55 AM

This was to be my conclusion. ...

the entry for develop ...

...[in] "related words."

evolve
What is the appropriate difference between "evolve" and "develop?" ...

When humans create or invent things, they develop those things over time, possibly decades, sometimes centuries. When a historical account of these developments is written, one may find a description of how they evolved.

1. The webster-dictionary.org site does not provide synonyms in their definitions from their "Webster's 1913 Dictionary"

2. The webster-dictionary.org site appends a definition of the subject word from "WordNet Dictionary", which may contain synonyms.

3. The webster-dictionary.org site provides a list of "Related Words" for the subject word, without reference to the origin of those "related words."

------------------

I have decided that it isn't fair that some on the list don't have dedication songs. I'm choosing songs for each entry. The Ignore Group and dedication songs, So far:

Goku (tbd)
Blitzking (Dreaming, Blondie; Midnight Special, 05/10/1979)
what if (tbd)
KenJackson (tbd)
Gneiss girl (Mother of Pearl, Roxy Music)
m-the pee-stream (Supermarket Nightmare, Victim's Family)

Let it be known that the reason "Goku" has top billing--forevermore--is that his offense was particularly....offensive. I'll refresh memories with two words: Anderson Cooper. The song for "Goku" will be well-chosen when I choose it.

I was just going by the link you provided.

If it must be from the "Webster's 1913 Dictionary" section you would have noticed that for each of the two words I did quote definitions from said dictionary via your link in my previous post. Here they are again for convenience.

Webster's 1913 Dictionary entry on "develop" (via Schera Do's link)

v. i. 1. To go through a process of natural evolution or growth,

Webster's 1913 Dictionary entry on "evolve" (via Schera Do's link)

v. i. 1. To become open, disclosed, or developed; to pass through a process of evolution.

As anyone can see your "favorite online dictionary" uses each of those words to help define the other; IOW "develop" and "evolve" are synonyms in various contexts.

My favorite online dictionary for every-day use is Merriam-Webster, and for brevity's sake I won't post links or definitions, but you see the same thing where each word is used to help define the other as if they are synonyms in various contexts. I then looked at Merriam-Webster's thesaurus, and under "develop" they listed the synonym "evolve", and vice versa. I suspect if you looked at other dictionaries a similar result will unfold.

#23 mike the wiz

mike the wiz

Veteran member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,230 posts
  • Interests:mikey mischief.
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • England

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:57 AM

Goku: My favorite online dictionary for every-day use is Merriam-Webster

You might like this little quiz, kind of a fun one, it changes each time you play, though you may have come across it before;

https://www.merriam-...ocabulary-quiz#

#24 Schera Do

Schera Do

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • Interests:Critical analysis and referents, Ephectic, Ultimate questions & how to answer, political philosophy, Constitutional Conservatism
  • (private)
  • Agnostic

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:15 AM

If it must be from the "Webster's 1913 Dictionary" section ...

This was to be my conclusion. Prior to that, I decided to take a look at my favorite online dictionary. I started with the entry for develop and went directly to the alphabetical list of "related words."

I will try again:

1. "Webster's 1913 Dictionary" section contains the Webster's definition for the subject word;
2. "Webster's 1913 Dictionary" section does NOT provide synonyms for the subject word;
3. "WordNet Dictionary" does NOT contain the Webster's definition for the subject word;
4. "Related Words" section DOES contain all the synonyms AND related words that Webster-dictionary.org considers to be BOTH synonymous and related to the subject word;

I once owned a 1913 Webster's dictionary.

There is no reason to put my favorite online dictionary within quotes.

The ignore list is as follows with a few dedication-songs to be determined:

Goku (Quasi)
Blitzking (Dreaming)
what if (Everything In Its Right Place; with alternative Planet Telex)
KenJackson (tbd)
Gneiss girl (Mother of Pearl, with alternate, Really Good Time)
m-the pee-stream (Supermarket Nightmare)

#25 Goku

Goku

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • USA

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:45 AM

If it must be from the "Webster's 1913 Dictionary" section ...

This was to be my conclusion. Prior to that, I decided to take a look at my favorite online dictionary. I started with the entry for develop and went directly to the alphabetical list of "related words."

I will try again:

1. "Webster's 1913 Dictionary" section contains the Webster's definition for the subject word;
2. "Webster's 1913 Dictionary" section does NOT provide synonyms for the subject word;
3. "WordNet Dictionary" does NOT contain the Webster's definition for the subject word;
4. "Related Words" section DOES contain all the synonyms AND related words that Webster-dictionary.org considers to be BOTH synonymous and related to the subject word;

I once owned a 1913 Webster's dictionary.

There is no reason to put my favorite online dictionary within quotes.

The ignore list is as follows with a few dedication-songs to be determined:

Goku (Quasi)
Blitzking (Dreaming)
what if (Everything In Its Right Place)
KenJackson (tbd)
Gneiss girl (Mother of Pearl, with alternate, Really Good Time)
m-the pee-stream (Supermarket Nightmare)

1. Well duh. As I mentioned (and quoted) last post the Webster's 1913 section does use the words in question to help define the other as if they are synonyms of each other in certain contexts, and many other dictionaries will explicitly say so. Your ignoring of the Webster's 1913 definitions I've quoted is noted.

2. That is correct, and you may have noticed because of your objection I stopped referencing the synonyms from your link after my initial post on the topic.

3. Well duh. As I explained last time my initial post included that section because it was part of the link you provided, and again when you complained that I was looking at the wrong dictionary in your link my subsequent post ignored that section and only looked at the Webster's 1913 section (and the related words section).

4. Just looking at the Webster's 1913 section and the related words section this does not appear to be the case. For example look at the entry on "develop", and one of the ways it defines the word is "to unfold", the second entry starts off with the phrase "to unfold gradually", the third entry starts off "to advance; to further; to prefect", and several of the entries use the word "growth", yet these words/phrases are not in the related words section of said word. I think if you set aside any attached significance to the related words section you would agree that phrases like "to advance" and "growth" are related to the word "develop". For example, 'my oratory skills have developed' means the same basic thing as 'my oratory skills have advanced', or 'my oratory skills have grown'. Do you disagree? - the related words section does disagree if we take your assertion as valid.

The phrase "to prefect" is an odd definition for develop if I say so myself - even looked it up wondering if there was some left-field definition I was not aware of, and it appears this is a typo in the dictionary. The word "perfect" is in the related words section and would make much more sense if the entry said "to perfect" and not "to prefect". My point here is that it is possible that this online dictionary is not perfect, and may not be 100% comprehensive.

I'll end by saying that I do believe your initial assessment that the two words are often equivalent is correct. I would also urge the usage of human judgement before backtracking on that assessment on the sole grounds that the related words section in a single dictionary do not deem them related despite that the definitions of said dictionary do, never mind all the other dictionaries out there or how people in the real world use those words.

#26 Schera Do

Schera Do

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • (private)
  • Agnostic

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:13 AM

I'll end by saying that I do believe your initial assessment that the two words are often equivalent is correct. I would also urge the usage of human judgement before backtracking on that assessment on the sole grounds that the related words section in a single dictionary do not deem them related despite that the definitions of said dictionary do, never mind all the other dictionaries out there or how people in the real world use those words.

The first sentence renders all that is above from your quote irrelevant.

The second sentence demonstrates that didn't you comprehend 1 through 4 from post #24.

You still head the list; Your post #25 would be sufficient reason if you never provided the initial reason.

Do you understand the reference to the initial reason? I would not bet anything that you do. I'm certain that nobody else does. I will track-down a link to that post.

#27 Goku

Goku

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • USA

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:53 AM

The second sentence demonstrates that didn't you comprehend 1 through 4 from post #24.

You still head the list; Your post #25 would be sufficient reason if you never provided the initial reason.

Do you understand the reference to the initial reason? I would not bet anything that you do. I'm certain that nobody else does. I will track-down a link to that post.

Interesting.

Fair enough, but you seem to be esoteric an awful lot in your posts.

Interesting.

Yes, I believe I do. It was a mistake, an error in judgement; people in the tea party did not call themselves that. I took a political commentator too literally when they made a joke, and in a playful mood I repeated the joke without thinking it through. I apologize for the inaccurate statement and the offensive imagery of the statement.

#28 Schera Do

Schera Do

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • (private)
  • Agnostic

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:42 AM

I can inform everyone that the reference to "Anderson Cooper" is made as he is the origin of the slander that became used repeatedly by enemies of the Right, but you mulitiplied the obscene slander in your false statement. Let everyone appreciate the obscentity and "offensive imagery" you peddled: A person places within, completely, his (or her, *gasp*) mouth the contained testicles of a man--"teabagger."

You remain on my list for the simple reason that I doubt your motives for your admission, which I reproduce below. I suspect your motive is the age-old, pervasive, human propensity to "hide a bad motive underneath a good one." The quote is from a book written in mid-20th century, which will remain anonymous until I decide to reveal the title of that book.

... only the closest scrutiny will reveal what our true motives were. There are cases where our ancient enemy, rationalization, has stepped in and has justified conduct which was really wrong. The temptation here is to imagine that we had good motives and reasons when we really didn't. ...
...This odd trait of mind and emotion, this perverse wish to hide a bad motive underneath a good one, permeates human affairs from top to bottom.

My first reaction is that you succumbed after you thought I would post the "initial reason" that you were placed on my ignore list. I may or may not determine whether I was correct.

Interesting.

Fair enough, but you seem to be esoteric an awful lot in your posts.

Interesting.

Yes, I believe I do. It was a mistake, an error in judgement; people in the tea party did not call themselves that. I took a political commentator too literally when they made a joke, and in a playful mood I repeated the joke without thinking it through. I apologize for the inaccurate statement and the offensive imagery of the statement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users