Mambo

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Glasgow, Scotland

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:36 AM

Creationism is not as big the UK as it is in the US, but over time we do tend to import much of cultural and social America. Although the UK government and Ofsted have officially stated that intelligent design should not be taught in schools as science, this advice does not apply to Scotland. Indeed, a group called the Centre for Intelligent Design has established itself here in Glasgow. I believe Scotland may seen as an easy target for the promotion of creationist ideas in schools.

I'm therefore here as a concerned father of two to attempt to understand the position of creationists/ism/ creation science and thereby prepare myself to:
1) discuss with my children from a knowledgeable position
2) engage with my local school, council, and Scottish Government to adopt the wider UK standpoint, and to repel attempts by creation science groups to introduce their material to the classroom.

I'm not here to promote anything, insult anyone, or cause offense. Just to understand and maybe ask some questions.

I've noticed that people's honesty and intentions can be questioned around here (nothing wrong with that) so I want to be completely up front about why I've joined your forum :)

Mambo

#2 Salsa

Salsa

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Uppsala, Sweden

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:31 AM

Hi Mambo, good to see you here! :)

My father was from Glasgow, my mother from England, I grew up in Australia, and I live in Sweden.. so if you think I seem confused then you know why!

I have also noticed that they have some kind of creationist convention in Edinborough. Seems like there is brewing up there :-)

Hope you enjoy it here!

#3 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:54 AM

Creationism is not as big the UK as it is in the US, but over time we do tend to import much of cultural and social America. Although the UK government and Ofsted have officially stated that intelligent design should not be taught in schools as science, this advice does not apply to Scotland. Indeed, a group called the Centre for Intelligent Design has established itself here in Glasgow. I believe Scotland may seen as an easy target for the promotion of creationist ideas in schools.

I'm therefore here as a concerned father of two to attempt to understand the position of creationists/ism/ creation science and thereby prepare myself to:
1) discuss with my children from a knowledgeable position
2) engage with my local school, council, and Scottish Government to adopt the wider UK standpoint, and to repel attempts by creation science groups to introduce their material to the classroom.

I'm not here to promote anything, insult anyone, or cause offense. Just to understand and maybe ask some questions.

I've noticed that people's honesty and intentions can be questioned around here (nothing wrong with that) so I want to be completely up front about why I've joined your forum

Mambo

Hello and welcome to the forum Mambo, I hope your conversations at this forum are both meaningful and fruitful. And, I doubt anyone will be offended by any of your opinions, as long as you realize that opinions are not facts, and as long as you abide by the forum rules.

Having said that, the other side of the coin can be applied as well, and it can be asserted that had we repelled “attempts by evolutionism science groups to introduce their material to the classroom” previously, we wouldn’t have the problems we have today.

But, as it stands, our children are indoctrinated into evolutionism throughout their scholastic lives; so having scientific opinion from opposing viewpoints should carry as much weight in the classroom. Our children should have the right to hear ALL the evidence, not just what the evolutionists want them to hear through their monopolization of the educational system.

#4 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:04 PM

Welcome to the forums.

#5 rico

rico