Mole troll. AKA dbs944

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Respectfully Withheld

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:48 PM

I just watched James Cameron's History Channel Special "The Exodus Decoded". Did anyone else happen to watch it? If so, what did you think of it?

#2 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2367 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:34 PM

I just watched James Cameron's History Channel Special "The Exodus Decoded".  Did anyone else happen to watch it?  If so, what did you think of it?

View Post

I have a confession to make. I saw it was on, but chose to watch "Cellular" instead. B) I had heard of the theory before and disagreed with it (and knew I was too sceptical with his claims to be convinced otherwise), so didn't bother taking the time to watch it.

I did a quick search and found a blog on it that give a bit of a review (it also links to a review, one of the comments being that it was completely one-sided):

http://www.claudemar...us-decoded.html

Fred

#3 D R

D R

Mole troll. AKA dbs944

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Christian
  • Respectfully Withheld

Posted 20 August 2006 - 09:50 PM

I had heard of the theory before and disagreed with it (and knew I was too sceptical with his claims to be convinced otherwise),

I'm puzzled by your statement above. What I got from the show is there is overwhelming archeological evidence to support the historical accurracy of the Biblical Exodus account. What parts do you disagree with and/or are skeptical about?

#4 MRC_Hans

MRC_Hans

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Denmark

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:48 AM

If I might venture a guess, Fred's reservations may have to do with the naturalistic explanations, and I tend to agree. I have never understood the people who, while professing to be devout Christians, seek to find naturalistic explanations to various accounts in the Bible. Maybe they think this makes things more acceptable to doubters, but IMHO they are wrong. Au contraire, the natural explanations appear to relegate the Bible to the realm of semihistorical legends.

The Plagues of Egypt, the parting of the Red Sea, etc. are supposed to be acts of God, not natural phenomenon.

Hans

#5 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2367 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:30 PM

If I might venture a guess, Fred's reservations may have to do with the naturalistic explanations, and I tend to agree. I have never understood the people who, while professing to be devout Christians, seek to find naturalistic explanations to various accounts in the Bible. Maybe they think this makes things more acceptable to doubters, but IMHO they are wrong. Au contraire, the natural explanations appear to relegate the Bible to the realm of semihistorical legends.

The Plagues of Egypt, the parting of the Red Sea, etc. are supposed to be acts of God, not natural phenomenon.

Hans

View Post

Hans hit it right on the head. To be fair though, I didn't watch the show nor read much of his material, I only have second hand piecemeal knowledge. So to make a judgment on his theory is maybe premature, I just don't buy into a naturalistic explanation for some of these things, especially the red sea parting. I probably would have watched it, but I was in a lazy, movie-watching kick back in the recliner mood, so I opted for Hollywood instead (Cellular was a good movie, BTW). B)

Fred

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users