• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, computers, physics, video games, philosophy, epistomology
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • USA

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

I don't know how to ask this question or maybe its not appropriate but what is God's philosophy of war for us as a nation?
Note: This thread may contain mature themes.

On a related subject I thought I would look at for morality in general: God, Government, and the Road to Tyranny: A Christian View of Government and Morality [Paperback]
Phil Fernandes (Author), Rorri Wiesinger (Author), Eric Purcell (Author) Haven't read it so don't muchabout it, I'm assuming its about Phil. of Government and have heard some of Fernandes' lectures

I read something awhile back about people taking bible verses out of the military as well something about St. Augustine (maybe I've mentioned it before)? Update: Found some info about Augustine (Catholic?) Philosophy here: War -Standford Encyclopedia of Philosophy; http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/war/

#2 MarkForbes

MarkForbes

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1016 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Waverley

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

Are you looking for various Christian opinions or for what someone does think "God's philosophy" on this.

IMHO warfare is one of the functions assigned to rulers or political function in society. So it's not necessarily a specifically Christian thing (which is focused on the teaching function in society), but then I think Christians are to act in the estate of their calling.

#3 rico

rico

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Christian
  • USA

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

yes, more on a national level, as this is a touchy political subject for the forum I think (how people view us anyway)

#4 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1742 posts
  • Interests:Information theory, electronics, videography, writing, human psychology, psychotherapy
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Detroit Michigan area

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

There are several scriptures that state that God will fight our battles, but then I don't think America is a Christian nation--although some of the constitution reflects the teachings of the Bible. It is a touchy subject. Jesus said, If my kingdom were of this world--then would my servants fight. I have always been a little bit confused over what He meant--did He meaan by world--age or did he mean head set (worldview). Maybe someone can elnlighten me as to what the word "world" means when translated from the original language.

I know that war devistates a lot of young minds. Kids are taught in sunday schoo to love and then they go in the military and are taught to kill--then actually do it in war. PSTD is real. There are rumors that many of our returning soldierd are killing themselves in alarming numbes.

All in all war is not a very pleasant activity--to be avoided if possible.

#5 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5715 posts
  • Interests:Completed BBiotech (Honours)

Currently studying Masters of Teaching.

Enjoys games of tactics and strategy.
  • (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

There are several scriptures that state that God will fight our battles, but then I don't think America is a Christian nation--although some of the constitution reflects the teachings of the Bible. It is a touchy subject. Jesus said, If my kingdom were of this world--then would my servants fight. I have always been a little bit confused over what He meant--did He meaan by world--age or did he mean head set (worldview). Maybe someone can elnlighten me as to what the word "world" means when translated from the original language.

I know that war devistates a lot of young minds. Kids are taught in sunday schoo to love and then they go in the military and are taught to kill--then actually do it in war. PSTD is real. There are rumors that many of our returning soldierd are killing themselves in alarming numbes.

All in all war is not a very pleasant activity--to be avoided if possible.

Technically there already is a war... A spiritual one
  • Mike Summers likes this

#6 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1742 posts
  • Interests:Information theory, electronics, videography, writing, human psychology, psychotherapy
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Detroit Michigan area

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

Technically there already is a war... A spiritual one

Yu!p. That's so true! Battling my mind is the hardest battle I have ever had to fight.

"For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places." Ephesians 6:12
  • gilbo12345 likes this

#7 JayShel

JayShel

Former Atheist

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Saved July 12, 2007

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

When Jesus said that His kingdom is not of this world, He meant that it is not a traditional geopolitical kingdom, but a spiritual one. A worldly kingdom such as the Roman empire is small in comparison to Jesus's kingdom which encompasses all kingdoms, principalities, states, nations, people groups, all matter, energy, time, space, and all souls. The goal is to bring salvation to all, and bring people to love and repentance before God.

#8 rico

rico

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Christian
  • USA

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

Just another context, Storing up treasures in heaven, another way to look at it,(or the proper context is bringing people to salvation) , found the info in the book,

......prayer is good... won't go into the other context, following that God's law gives freedom to society instead

#9 JayShel

JayShel

Former Atheist

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Saved July 12, 2007

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

When Jesus said that His kingdom is not of this world, He meant that it is not a traditional geopolitical kingdom, but a spiritual one. A worldly kingdom such as the Roman empire is small in comparison to Jesus's kingdom which encompasses all kingdoms, principalities, states, nations, people groups, all matter, energy, time, space, and all souls. The goal is to bring salvation to all, and bring people to love and repentance before God.

But of course we can only share this message, and allow people to accept it or reject it. It is a combination of their free will and God's convincing that finally does the trick ie we plant seeds of the gospel and God waters it. They are the soil as in Jesus's soil metaphor found in Matthew 13, Mark 4 and Luke 8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users