Soft Tissue Found With T-rex Fossils

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_George R_*

Guest_George R_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2005 - 07:05 PM

I am not a YEC, but I thought this would give a bit of a start to those already convinced one way or another..

Yes. This is not the national Enquirer... it is legit science news.

Worth a comment at least.

Here's the legally permissible 300 word extract ...

http://story.news.ya.../dinosaur_to_dc

Scientists Find Soft Tissue in T-Rex Bone

Thu Mar 24, 2:06 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A 70-million-year-old Tyrannosaurus rex fossil dug out of a hunk of sandstone has yielded soft tissue, including blood vessels and perhaps even whole cells, U.S. researchers reported on Thursday

Paleontologists forced to break the creature's massive thighbone to get it on a helicopter found not a solid piece of fossilized bone, but instead something looking a bit less like a rock.

When they got it into a lab and chemically removed the hard minerals, they found what looked like blood vessels, bone cells and perhaps even blood cells.

"They are transparent, they are flexible," said Mary Higby Schweitzer of North Carolina State University and Montana State University, who conducted the study.

She said the vessels were flexible and in some cases their contents could be squeezed out.

"The microstructures that look like cells are preserved in every way," added Schweitzer, whose findings were published in the journal Science.

"Preservation of this extent, where you still have this flexibility and transparency, has never been seen in a dinosaur before." Feathers, hair and fossilized egg contents yes, but not truly soft tissue.

See link for rest of article

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#2 OC1

OC1

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • New Jersey

Posted 24 March 2005 - 07:31 PM

That's pretty neat!

Organic materials can last a long time under the right conditions- like these guys:

LINK

But I dont' think that anybody believed that it was possible for organic stuff to last for millions of years.

I suppose that if the outer layers of an intact bone were silicified, it could seal off the inside of the bone from air/water/microorgansims, and preserve the organic material.

But what is really interesting is that this could be a lot more common than we realize- because noboby ever tried to look for it.

#3 Guest_Admin3_*

Guest_Admin3_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:17 PM

Well, even frozen, there can be decay with enough time.

#4 chance

chance

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Australia

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:21 PM

I’m not sure of the limits of decay in frozen life forms but of note are, The recent discovered ice man, Mammoths in Siberia, and in the Antarctic there is a Wettlel Seal(sp) a couple of thousand years old just sitting on the dry surface.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users