ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

The KJV was written in a language that I don't know. IMO, the Bible is more powerful if I can read pages at at time without stopping to look up words, so I typically do not use the KJV for reading. I will use it when I have a question on a particular verse that I was reading elsewhere.

I don't like using the NIV because it does seem to be different in that one area. I trust the KJV and NASB over it.

There is a reason for mystery concerning understanding the KJV. It makes you rely more on the Holy Spirit for guidance then you own discernment. Because when the Holy spirit reveals it to you it more than what you could ever get from your own discernment. This is because not only is the temporal side revealed but the spiritual side as well.

#22 Quaker Reason

Quaker Reason

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Science, History, Military, Computers, Roman History, Astronomy, Books, The Truth
  • Christian
  • Old Earth Creationist
  • Indiana

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

When a person respects God's word like they should they also respect it enough to make sure every aspect of it is done right. But what would one expect from h*m*s*xuals?

And since the NIV is okay then this is okay as well?

This is basically what QR and you are implying here. Do I really need to list verses about what God says about this? This is the reason the NIV omits them. This is what they want.

I never said being g*y was okay. In fact the NIV never implies it.

#23 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,000 posts
  • Interests:Completed BBiotech (Honours)

Currently studying Masters of Teaching.

Enjoys games of tactics and strategy.
  • (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

..... I've always had the belief that being g*y isn't "normal", since if it was how would anything reproduce? Evolutionists should be even less tolerant of h*m*sexuals since they define being the fittest as a measure of reproductive success, hence something or someone that is unable to reproduce at all would be, (according to their definition), the least fittest.

However as long as they don't annoy me I'm not going to go out of my way to have a go at them.

#24 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

There is a reason for mystery concerning understanding the KJV. It makes you rely more on the Holy Spirit for guidance then you own discernment. Because when the Holy spirit reveals it to you it more than what you could ever get from your own discernment. This is because not only is the temporal side revealed but the spiritual side as well.

When God had the Bible written, was it written in the language that the people were most likely to understand readily?

#25 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:44 AM

I never said being g*y was okay. In fact the NIV never implies it.

Leaving out what God says about it implies it.

#26 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

When God had the Bible written, was it written in the language that the people were most likely to understand readily?

I could not tell you because I do not know Hebrew. I hear that the Hebrew language has no verbs.

#27 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

I could not tell you because I do not know Hebrew. I hear that the Hebrew language has no verbs.

Well then if you know that little about the original Hebrew that God chose for the Bible...

Yet claim that the KJV is the translation we should use, listening to your counsel on this matter...

Perhaps you can explain the Greek.

#28 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

Why does the KJV refer to the Holy Spirit as "it":

John 1:32 "And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him."

I Peter 1:11 "Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow."

#29 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:17 AM

Why does the KJV refer to the Holy Spirit as "it":

John 1:32 "And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him."

I Peter 1:11 "Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow."

Because it's already been mentioned once by name. Is the word "it": being used to "totally" replace the Holy Spirit in the KJV? Nope. So you play on semantics does not work.

Well then if you know that little about the original Hebrew that God chose for the Bible...

Yet claim that the KJV is the translation we should use, listening to your counsel on this matter...

Perhaps you can explain the Greek.

I trust my version enough not to put it into question by using other books. And I allow the Holy Spirit to guide me on things I do not understand. But if you feel better opening others books instead of the Holy Spirit counsel, more power to ya.

#30 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:28 AM

Mama Elephant:
1) When you use different versions and one or two or maybe all 3 do not agree what do you do?
2) Also if your "favorite" version is contradicted by another version you use which one do you choose and why?

When you put to much of self into how you discern the word with, then your belief becomes more of what you think it should be and less of what the Holy Spirit can show you. All I can tell you is what works for me. Now would you want me to go against what I found works for me?

#31 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:00 AM

Mama Elephant:
1) When you use different versions and one or two or maybe all 3 do not agree what do you do?

Like I said, I have only found that one disagreement, and it is not an important thing. But in this case I would:

Go with the conviction from the Holy Spirit. Pray for understanding.

Look up the original Hebrew or Greek. Ask my husband and/or pastor.

Follow the teaching of the Holy Spirit.

I don't think that these are the wrong things to do.

2) Also if your "favorite" version is contradicted by another version you use which one do you choose and why?

When you put to much of self into how you discern the word with, then your belief becomes more of what you think it should be and less of what the Holy Spirit can show you.

I might lean to selfishness and choose the version that makes me happiest. Then the Holy Spirit will soon discipline me for it. He is faithful. What makes you think that using more than one version automatically means giving in to self? In addition, the NASB is the most accurate and so far it agrees with the KJV. (Only it doesn't translate many different words hell like the KJV does, etc.) It doesn't disagree with the KJV, it just clarifies.

When using a translation that I know is less accurate I treat it like a Bible study aid rather than the word of God.

#32 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

Like I said, I have only found that one disagreement, and it is not an important thing. But in this case I would:

Go with the conviction from the Holy Spirit. Pray for understanding.

Look up the original Hebrew or Greek. Ask my husband and/or pastor.

Follow the teaching of the Holy Spirit.

So if waiting to long on the Holy Spirit not work you turn to the second and third? And what is last on that list? There are reasons that we sometimes do not get answers.

1) We are not ready to receive it because of our faith foundation is to weak.
2) Some knowledge requires a certain Christian maturity in order to get it.

One of the things I had to learn to get the knowledge I have received is that compromise of the word will not be tolerated to get what I wanted. And holding to the KJV like I do is what works. So it's not something I do because I belong to a group that does this or a church that does this. It was where I tested God and He in turn tested me and the result is what I do with the KJV and is the reason why as well. If using several versions and translations was where I was led then I would do this. But that's not where I was led. And what I do allows more knowledge and Holy spirit wisdom to flow so would you not consider that conformation? Because if God were totally unhappy with me in this area, would you not agree that He would cut me off letting me know this? And if that happened do you not think I would still be searching instead of taking a stance that I "still get blessed for"?

Because when you are spiritually connected to God you know when God is not happy and you also know that you have to change or correct what is wrong to get back into His good graces. And knowing that if I am still getting blessed in this what does that tell you? Because being without any theology degree or theology studies in a class etc... The knowledge and wisdom mainly comes from where? You know where because you depend on the same thing.

I don't think that these are the wrong things to do.

No but it's the order and how you do them. You are spiritually connected as you are because you are suppose to look elsewhere? No. You are spiritually connected because you are suppose to mainly look in one direction and rely on that wisdom regardless of how hard it maybe to get what you want. Now for until you do get confirmation you take the counsel of your pastor and husband. But the subject is not settled until the Holy spirit weighs in. And you cannot commit to what's being said as truth until that happens.

I might lean to selfishness and choose the version that makes me happiest. Then the Holy Spirit will soon discipline me for it. He is faithful. What makes you think that using more than one version automatically means giving in to self? In addition, the NASB is the most accurate and so far it agrees with the KJV. (Only it doesn't translate many different words hell like the KJV does, etc.) It doesn't disagree with the KJV, it just clarifies.

And you just stated the problem. If the flesh is given a choice then the flesh will choose. If the spirit is the only thing allowed to choose then the spirit will guide. What seems to be the hardest to do in cases where the spirit and flesh battle is where you die to the flesh and allow control in the spirit.

You are open to test and see what's right, right? So do what God says we should. He says test me. So what you do is put away the other books and totally rely on the one that is hardest to understand and make yourself rely on the Holy spirit because of that and see what happens. At first you are really going to hate it. The hate part is you dying to the flesh. Once you start to get over that then it won;t be as bad because the spirit starts to fill in where the flesh was. And once that happens then the test starts and you can see for yourself.

Now does that mean you will convert to KJV only? Only if the Holy spirit leads you to do that. But what do you think will happen if you find a more straight way connection to the Holy spirit as I did? But you will never know unless you test it as God tells us to do so. How long will the test take? Since you are very spiritually connected I don;t think it will take very long to see one way or the other. If I were to guess 30 to 60 days. It depends on how strong a hold the flesh has on you in this area and how willing you are to let the spirit lead. For each person a test like this is different because of these two things.

When using a translation that I know is less accurate I treat it like a Bible study aid rather than the word of God.

Why use a less accurate translation in the first place?

I just watch a KJV documentary that was a first and third person view. It focused more on the life of king James and those around him along with the struggles he went through to get this translation done. One thing I did not know is that the Catholics were so mad that they were not included that they hired a person who specialized in using gunpowder and making explosives with it. Their object was to kill King James and the whole KJV committee. One person that was helping them accomplish this became worried because he was going to lose two family members that were going to be present when this would happen, So he sent a letter to the king to warn him that something was afoot (their terms) and the king took it as a warning that this was probably going to be a assassination attempt.

The person who was head of the guard for the palace figured out that in order for this to happen the person would have to be already in the castle hiding and waiting for his chance to strike. He had no idea that there was explosives involved. So they search all the areas of the castle that were no longer being used, Which was several rooms in the cellar areas. He found the explosives and the man that was hired to do this setting it up. They made him give up the names of all who were involved in this plot and all were rounded up and executed for treason. Which also included a Jesuit priest who gave them the last rites but told no one what their sins were that they confessed about what they were going to do.

It was figured out that the amount of gun powder used would have destroyed the whole castle and the fire ball created would have killed several thousand in the town as well. The so called expert of that day way over estimated what was needed.

#33 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

I am glad to see your lengthy reply to me.

What you are doing is working for you. Okay then.

As you have stated before, what I am doing is working for me.

So... not everyone is led to do the same things.

Because when you are spiritually connected to God you know when God is not happy and you also know that you have to change or correct what is wrong to get back into His good graces. Exactly. I have no reason to change. And knowing that if I am still getting blessed in this what does that tell you? Because being without any theology degree or theology studies in a class etc... The knowledge and wisdom mainly comes from where? You know where because you depend on the same thing. Yes indeed.

No but it's the order and how you do them. You are spiritually connected as you are because you are suppose to look elsewhere? No. You are spiritually connected because you are suppose to mainly look in one direction and rely on that wisdom regardless of how hard it maybe to get what you want. Now for until you do get confirmation you take the counsel of your pastor and husband. But the subject is not settled until the Holy spirit weighs in. Yes. And you cannot commit to what's being said as truth until that happens. Exactly!

And you just stated the problem. If the flesh is given a choice then the flesh will choose. If the spirit is the only thing allowed to choose then the spirit will guide. What seems to be the hardest to do in cases where the spirit and flesh battle is where you die to the flesh and allow control in the spirit. Amen!

Why use a less accurate translation in the first place? Good question. Because it reads so easily. I read it to my daughter or at times when I want to read large portions of text in one sitting.

I just watch a KJV documentary that was a first and third person view. It focused more on the life of king James and those around him along with the struggles he went through to get this translation done.

That was then this is now.

#34 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

You are open to test and see what's right, right? So do what God says we should. He says test me. So what you do is put away the other books and totally rely on the one that is hardest to understand and make yourself rely on the Holy spirit because of that and see what happens. At first you are really going to hate it. The hate part is you dying to the flesh.

No. I disagree. When I go through half the day without my prayer or devotional time I hate it. When I don't sing praises I hate it. When I have a bad attitude about church or people and I get a complaining spirit I hate it. That is what I mean by spiritually sensitive. If God's Spirit is not happy I am not happy. I feel Him. He is my joy and strength. When I pull away from Him I grieve, I mourn, I sigh. Dying to the flesh doesn't hurt nearly as much.

That others don't feel the same perplexes me.

At first you are really going to hate it. The hate part is you dying to the flesh.

I usually hear this line of reasoning from Calvinists.

#35 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

No. I disagree. When I go through half the day without my prayer or devotional time I hate it. When I don't sing praises I hate it. When I have a bad attitude about church or people and I get a complaining spirit I hate it. That is what I mean by spiritually sensitive. If God's Spirit is not happy I am not happy. I feel Him. He is my joy and strength. When I pull away from Him I grieve, I mourn, I sigh. Dying to the flesh doesn't hurt nearly as much.

That others don't feel the same perplexes me.

I usually hear this line of reasoning from Calvinists.

If you want to hold on to the reasoning of the flesh that badly that's between you and God. There was really no reason at your attempt to insult me.

#36 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

If you want to hold on to the reasoning of the flesh that badly that's between you and God. There was really no reason at your attempt to insult me.

I apologize for causing insult.

I was not trying to insult you. I guess it is my way of asking honest questions. I really do suffer from aspergers. If someone wants to PM me with a better way of wording things then please help.

Ikester, look, I am not your enemy. I am just someone who never learned how to be a friend, and am still learning.

#37 JayShel

JayShel

Former Atheist

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Saved July 12, 2007

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

I don't think there is a single person that has everything right. "For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away." 1 Cor 13:9-10

We must agree on the fundamentals if we are to have true fellowship, and we must be free to disagree on "non-essentials" as well if we are not going to be dictators.

#38 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:08 PM

I apologize for causing insult.

I was not trying to insult you. I guess it is my way of asking honest questions. I really do suffer from aspergers. If someone wants to PM me with a better way of wording things then please help.

Ikester, look, I am not your enemy. I am just someone who never learned how to be a friend, and am still learning.

The rule I follow when I find myself not responding like I should is that I reread my posts before I post them in a third person like view and ask myself: Is there a more friendlier way I could have said that? I often have to redo what I said because of that. I am passionate about what I believe and it sometimes shows up as if I am mad or something else. and sometimes I forget to check and so it slips out and people get mad about something I really did not mean the way that it was taken.

If you want you can send me what you want to say. Not just to me but what you want to post to others as well. And I will point out how that it could have been worded better and why, Because if you are going to minister to people you have to stay away from words that may cause offense. Causing offense makes all your efforts to reach them worthless. And I am sure others here will help you as well. After all we are supposed to be one body helping each other.

#39 JayShel

JayShel

Former Atheist

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Saved July 12, 2007

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

My main concern in this topic, and I hope it has come through in my posts, is that we all have things to bring to the table as believers, different gifts and understanding. Some truths in the Bible are universal such as salvation by grace through faith in Christ, and some are revealed with time based on the Holy Spirit's providence. Now changing the wording in versions is a slippery slope, and I can see how Satan would love to get on a translation committee to cause division in the church, but I have reservations about condemning Bible versions outright. There is good that can come of them, but ultimately, my hope would be that people would seek out an answer not to satisfy their own thoughts, but to be honest with themselves about what issues they may be biased on, and seek God's will no matter how their bias attempts to sway them. To be sure, I think that certain versions take more precaution in preserving doctrine than others. Among these are KJV, and the Amplified Bible. NKJV is also mostly trustworthy as far as I can tell.

My struggle has been with the issue of h*m*s*xuality. I have seen the church act in a way that is harmful toward h*m*sexuals in the media (sometimes it is liberal spin), at least they identify themselves as christians (and im not talking about westboro). Back when I was an atheist, I didn't care about h*m*sexuals one way or another morally. I considered it outside the bounds of morality as far as I was concerned.

After being saved for a few years, I was sought knowledge about this topic from the Bible, knowing that my bias is to show compassion for people rather than condemn them. What I came up with is that h*m*s*xuality is a sin, just as adultery, rape, murder, and s@x before marriage. Whether or not someone's actions are sinful is in plain black and white in the Bible, but how we should treat them is a bit more complicated under the new testament, and was not at all intuitive for me.

Society likes to pick and choose what they consider a sin, hence they think that s@x before marriage is fine, and so is h*m*s*xuality. Our job is not to treat these sinners with contempt, and bash or verbally condemn them, but to offer them hope in the transformation that Jesus can bring to their lives. The job of the Holy Spirit is to lead someone who is being saved to conviction of their sin. This is how, though being saved, I was addicted to P*rn*gr*phy and oblivious to the harm of it, and objectification of women (I was raised thinking it was ok). It took time, but eventually I couldn't deny those words straight from the Lord Jesus Christ: "But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." Matthew 5:28

We should not discriminate against sinners as if we are somehow better than them, since God has done all the work to bring about our salvation, but we should lovingly vote our moral conscience when we can so that our votes reflect what God has said about what is sin.

When it comes to church leadership,the Bible suggests that this form of unrepentant sin should not exist in an elder's life. If someone feels that they have H*mos*xual urges, but is repentant and struggling against this temptation, it is completely different than if they are actively living a H*mos*xual lifestyle.

So this is what I think about when I think about Bible versions. I was lead to investigate an issue, and I felt that the NIV, NASB, etc were not sufficiently translated to speak to sensitive doctrinal issues such as this. We should not choose which version to use lightly.

#40 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

That is strange. My husband uses the NASB and found verses in Romans that certainly convicted him as to what our feelings about h*m*s*xuality should be.

Romans 1:32 and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users