May 13 2011 - Plants Know Up From Down

2 replies to this topic

#1 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2395 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:22 AM

Listen here.

* Why Don't All People Know the Same? Real Science Friday co-hosts Fred Williams and Bob Enyart discuss plants, beetles, and sharks as described in Ken Ham's current Answers magazine!

* Plant Cells Make Statoliths that Sink: How does the root know which way is down, and the stem know which way is up? Plant cells make statoliths that are dense and heavy (lith is a Greek root, pun intended, for stone) and when the statoliths sink, like a stone, the plant knows which was is up and which way is down. Isn't God cool?

* Beetles Seek Out Forest Fires: The Melanophila beetle can sense a forest fire by detecting a few parts per billion of smoke particles and by it's infrared capability that exceeds the military's in sophistication! Bob describes using an infrared vision system in the Apache helicopter.

* Did You Know that Sharks are Warm-Blooded? If not, don't feel bad. Neither did they! Sharks can maintain their body temperatures up to 38 degrees Farenheit higher than the surrounding ocean temperature. And they do this using the same technology used in giraffes, camels, and birds.

#2 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2395 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:33 AM

Sorry for the long delay in getting the March through May shows posted, I'm going to try to stay on top of this in the future.

Fred

#3 AFJ

AFJ

AFJ

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts
  • Interests:Bible, molecular biology, chemistry, mineralogy, geology, eschatology, history, family
  • Christian
  • Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:07 AM

Listen here.

* Why Don't All People Know the Same?  Real Science Friday co-hosts Fred Williams and Bob Enyart discuss plants, beetles, and sharks as described in Ken Ham's current Answers magazine!

* Plant Cells Make Statoliths that Sink: How does the root know which way is down, and the stem know which way is up? Plant cells make statoliths that are dense and heavy (lith is a Greek root, pun intended, for stone) and when the statoliths sink, like a stone, the plant knows which was is up and which way is down. Isn't God cool?

* Beetles Seek Out Forest Fires: The Melanophila beetle can sense a forest fire by detecting a few parts per billion of smoke particles and by it's infrared capability that exceeds the military's in sophistication! Bob describes using an infrared vision system in the Apache helicopter.

* Did You Know that Sharks are Warm-Blooded? If not, don't feel bad. Neither did they! Sharks can maintain their body temperatures up to 38 degrees Farenheit higher than the surrounding ocean temperature. And they do this using the same technology used in giraffes, camels, and birds.

View Post

So technically the sharks, giraffes, camels, birds could be statistically connected by graphs, but of course, this would be classified as convergent evolution. So when things that look similar, and have similar genetic sequences have conserved genes, then it's evidence of common ancestry, but when things that "aren't related" have similar functions or traits, it's convergent.

The creationist model would predict that a common Creator uses similar designs, according to purpose and function, not ancestry. Therefore if he wanted dragonflies and mammals (bats) to fly--be designed them with wings. If he wanted dolphins and bats to use sound waves to navigate (sonar, radar) he gave them similarly functioning tools. If He wanted dolphins and sharks to be able to swim he gave them fins. If He wanted sharks and tadpoles to breathe under water He gave them gills.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users