Photo

Using The Quote Box. And The Forum Word Filter.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:09 PM

This will be an explaination on how to use the quote box. I put this here because I can see that some members are having a problem using them.

1) The first thing I want to point out is that the forum program is limited to using 10 quote boxes per post. It's not a selectable option in the Admin control panel, so we cannot change it. So if you go over 10 quotes in one post, the boxes won't work at all in that post.

2) When ever a command is being used (quote, bold, underline, etc....), there has to be the command to start, and a command to stop. The forum program reconizes commands contained inside these types of brackets [ ]. What you put in between the brackets is the command you are trying to use.

To start the quote, you use the word by itself inside the brackets [ ]. To stop the quote command you use the forward slash "/" before the command inside the brackets [ ]. So it will look something like this:

[ ] with the word "quote" inside the bracket. Then what you want said inside the quote box is typed. Then at the end "/quote" goes at the end of what you want inside the quote box.

In this example, I'm going to spell the quote word wrong on purpose. This way the forum program will leave up the commands so we can see how they are used.

[quotes] Put what ever you want here.[/quotes]

If I had typed the words with correct spelling of the command quote, below is what it would look like:

[quote] Put whatever you want here[/quote]

To sum it up:
1) [ ] command you want goes in between these.
2) "/" The forward slash ends the command.
3) You can only use 10 quotes per post.
4) You have to spell the command correctly. Misspelling the word quote will make the quote box not work either.

Since we have the basics down, now for another problem I see from time to time. Not very often.

Let's say you are using several quote boxes (10). And you forget one command to end on of the quote boxes. Guess what, none of the boxes will work.

Each start command has to have an end command "/". Forget one end command, and the quote boxes won't work.

Advanced quoting.

How to get a name of a member at the top of your quote box.

Inside of the brackets [ ] you put the members name like this: quote=member's name. When you do this, your quote box will look likw this:

[quote name='member's name'] [/quote]

Actually you can put any word after the = sign, and that word get's put at top of quote box. Like when you quote bible verses, you can do this:

[quote name='Genesis 1:1'] In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. [/quote]

Also, if you want to quote the time someone posted what your quoting, the coma serves as the @ sign.
Example: quote=fred, 10:30am sept: 5 1006
Now watch what happens to that exact typing when put between quote boxes.
[quote name='fred' date=' 10:30am sept: 5 1006'] [/quote]

The comma shows up as a @ sign in the header of the quote box. So through using advanced quoting you can name your quote box to what your quoteing, who your quoting, and at what time it was quoted by someone else.

And if you are quoting two or more people in one post, and want to separate as such. You do this:

qoute=fred between brackets [ ]

Then further down

quote=ikester7579
etc....

And each quote box header will look like this:

[quote name='Fred'] [/quote]

[quote name='92g'] [/quote]

[quote name='ikester7579'] [/quote]

So you can quote more than one person per post.

You can practice quoting in this thread if you like. And I can correct any mistakes, and show what was done wrong. :blink:

#2 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 15 January 2007 - 05:19 AM

The forum has a word filter which filters certain words we do not like being listed here. Mainly cuss words. But there are a few words that are also filtered to keep search engines from listing the forum in undesirable subject sections of the search engines. Such as the word P*rn lists us in that section of a search engine. s*x will do the samething. Astriks keep the search engines from doing that.

When we are listed in areas we don't want, it brings some people in here that are the worse of the worst you could ever imagine. People that would use such bad language it would make a sailor blush.

Anyone caught trying going around a word filter will be put on 3 day suspension. Anyone caught doing it twice will be banned.

You have been warned.

#3 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:25 AM

How to do a quote box within a quote box:

So you need to seperate quotes within one quote box. Just like above, the quote command needs to go in between these type brackets [ ] . To show how it is done, I'm going to use this type brackry { } . In this way you will be able to see what I did. Then below it I will use the correct brackets to show how it will actually work.

{quote= member's name} This is the first quote within the box. I just copy and paste the quote I want here. Now notice I don't end this quote, I leave it open.

{quote} Here is where the second box will appear inside the first one. Now watch what I have to do to end this. {/quote} {/quote}

Now because I used two quote commands to start two boxes, I have to use to end quote commands to end both. Now here is what it will look like when the correct brackets are used.

This is the first quote within the box. I just copy and paste the quote I want here. Now notice I don't end this quote, I leave it open.

Here is where the second box will appear inside the first one. Now watch what I have to do to end this.

So this is how it will look. Now you can put more than one box within a box for quoting. But in order for it to work, for every begin quote you have to have a end quote to match. Lets say you do a four in box quote. You would have to do four end command quotes as well. If you don't, it's like trying to draw a box that has no end. Here's an example of more than one box.

#4 rbarclay

rbarclay

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Christian
  • Tower, Minnesota

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:30 PM

[quote name='ikester7579' date='Sep 26 2006, 12:09 PM']To start the quote, you use the word by itself inside the brackets [ ]. To stop the quote command you use the forward slash "/" before the command inside the brackets [ ]. So it will look something like this:

[ ] with the word "quote" inside the bracket. Then what you want said inside the quote box is typed. Then at the end "/quote" goes at the end of what you want inside the quote box.

In this example, I'm going to spell the quote word wrong on purpose. This way the forum program will leave up the commands so we can see how they are used.

[quotes] Put what ever you want here.[/quotes]

If I had typed the words with correct spelling of the command quote, below is what it would look like:
To sum it up:
1) [ ] command you want goes in between these.
2) "/" The forward slash ends the command.
3) You can only use 10 quotes per post.
4) You have to spell the command correctly. Misspelling the word quote will make the quote box not work either.

Since we have the basics down, now for another problem I see from time to time. Not very often.

Let's say you are using several quote boxes (10). And you forget one command to end on of the quote boxes. Guess what, none of the boxes will work.

Each start command has to have an end command "/". Forget one end command, and the quote boxes won't work.

Advanced quoting.

How to get a name of a member at the top of your quote box.

Inside of the brackets [ ] you put the members name like this: quote=member's name. When you do this, your quote box will look likw this:
Also, if you want to quote the time someone posted what your quoting, the coma serves as the @ sign.
Example: quote=fred, 10:30am sept: 5 1006
Now watch what happens to that exact typing when put between quote boxes.
The comma shows up as a @ sign in the header of the quote box. So through using advanced quoting you can name your quote box to what your quoteing, who your quoting, and at what time it was quoted by someone else.

And if you are quoting two or more people in one post, and want to separate as such. You do this:

qoute=fred between brackets [ ]

Then further down

quote=ikester7579
etc....

And each quote box header will look like this:

[quote name='Fred'] [/quote]

[quote name='92g'] [/quote]

[quote name='ikester7579'] [/quote]

So you can quote more than one person per post.

You can practice quoting in this thread if you like. And I can correct any mistakes, and show what was done wrong. :)

View Post

[/quote]

[quote name='wan']This will be an explaination on how to use the quote box. I put this here because I can see that some members are having a problem using them.

1) The first thing I want to point out is that the forum program is limited to using 10 quote boxes per post. It's not a selectable option in the Admin control panel, so we cannot change it. So if you go over 10 quotes in one post, the boxes won't work at all in that post.

2) When ever a command is being used (quote, bold, underline, etc....), there has to be the command to start, and a command to stop. The forum program reconizes commands contained inside these types of brackets [ ]. What you put in between the brackets is the command you are trying to use.[/quote]

#5 jason777

jason777

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • Interests:Machining, Engine Building, Geology, Paleontology, Fishing
  • Christian
  • Springdale,AR.

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:15 AM

Since the forum changed I haven't been able to add names to quotes without quoting the entire post with the reply button. how are you guys doing quote boxes now?

Thanks.

#6 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:36 AM

Yeah I know. This thread is now obsolete because things are different. I will either figure out how it's done, or if the forum will work with it, I will write a new BBcode (the codes we use inside of brackets) and make it work the same way it used to, or at least very similar. But lately my back gives me a lot of pain so I cannot set for long periods of time at my pc to work out codes. But when it's better I will do so.

#7 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

Since the forum changed I haven't been able to add names to quotes without quoting the entire post with the reply button. how are you guys doing quote boxes now?

Thanks.

I don't know Jason, it works fine for me (as you see in this post).

Unless you mean quotes with quotes maybe?

#8 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:17 PM

Thanks.

To do this, I have to copy and paste the quote from the original post, and paste it within the quote text of the following quote... I do this because it becomes traceable (linked) to its original post because of the "time stamp" within the quote. And I like to have the link for easy access because sometimes the people I'm arguing with totally misstate, misrepresent, misquote, or out-and out lie about what I said. And I like to have the reference at hand to disprove what they implied or insinuated.

#9 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

Thanks.

To do this, I have to copy and paste the quote from the original post, and paste it within the quote text of the following quote... I do this because it becomes traceable (linked) to its original post. And I like to have the link for easy access because sometimes the people I'm arguing with totally misstate, misrepresent, misquote, or out-and out lie about what I said. And I like to have the reference at hand to disprove what they implied or insinuated.

And this can be done over

#10 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

Thanks.

To do this, I have to copy and paste the quote from the original post, and paste it within the quote text of the following quote... I do this because it becomes traceable (linked) to its original post. And I like to have the link for easy access because sometimes the people I'm arguing with totally misstate, misrepresent, misquote, or out-and out lie about what I said. And I like to have the reference at hand to disprove what they implied or insinuated.

And this can be done over

And over… But you have to experiment with it to get it right. Therefore, I suggest that you use the "preview post" button until you get it right.

#11 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1717 posts
  • Interests:Information theory, electronics, videography, writing, human psychology, psychotherapy
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Detroit Michigan area

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

Hi Fred

Everytime I edit my Post I have to re format both the quotes and new text. This could be a fault of my computer as I am using a computer at an istitution that has many filters. Also the tool bar will not highlight for usage.

#12 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2467 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

Hi Fred

Everytime I edit my Post I have to re format both the quotes and new text. This could be a fault of my computer as I am using a computer at an istitution that has many filters. Also the tool bar will not highlight for usage.

Hmm, I don't seem to have the same problem. Anyone else see this?

#13 JayShel

JayShel

Former Atheist

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Saved July 12, 2007

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

No I hit the quote button and type below it and this is what happens. If I want to nest the quotes it takes some work:

Hi Fred

Such as that, simply by hitting the quote button on the respective posts and nesting them manually.

#14 Minnemooseus

Minnemooseus

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Duluth, Minnesota

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

Apparently "MultiQuote" is intended as an aid in quoting form multiple messages (such as the current case that I have many responses to a single message of mine). But I am mystified in how to use the "MultiQuote" button. Offhand, it seems to do the same thing as the "Quote" button.

Moose

#15 Bonedigger

Bonedigger

Admin Team

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1045 posts
  • Interests:Creation, Vertebrate Paleontology-particularly mammals and especially Perissodactyls & Carnivores, Hunting, Shooting, Handloading, Weaving Chainmaille, Hebrew and other Biblically relevant languages, Astronomy
  • Christian
  • Colorado

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

Apparently "MultiQuote" is intended as an aid in quoting form multiple messages (such as the current case that I have many responses to a single message of mine). But I am mystified in how to use the "MultiQuote" button. Offhand, it seems to do the same thing as the "Quote" button.

Moose

No I hit the quote button and type below it and this is what happens. If I want to nest the quotes it takes some work:

Such as that, simply by hitting the quote button on the respective posts and nesting them manually.

Just as an example, I clicked the multiquote button on your post, and then on the post by JayShel above that, and then selected the reply option. It allows you to quote and reply to multiple posts in a single post. I think, although I could be mistaken, in an older version, you couldn't do that with just the quote button, because it would replace the thread in your browser with just your reply box when you clicked the quote button on a post. Now, though, you can just keep hitting quote buttons and it will add them to your reply box at the bottom which has the same effect as the multiquote.

#16 Boilermaker14

Boilermaker14

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Little rock, AR

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:40 PM

This will be an explaination on how to use the quote box. I put this here because I can see that some members are having a problem using them.1) The first thing I want to point out is that the forum program is limited to using 10 quote boxes per post. It's not a selectable option in the Admin control panel, so we cannot change it. So if you go over 10 quotes in one post, the boxes won't work at all in that post.2) When ever a command is being used (quote, bold, underline, etc....), there has to be the command to start, and a command to stop. The forum program reconizes commands contained inside these types of brackets [ ]. What you put in between the brackets is the command you are trying to use. To start the quote, you use the word by itself inside the brackets [ ]. To stop the quote command you use the forward slash "/" before the command inside the brackets [ ]. So it will look something like this:[ ] with the word "quote" inside the bracket. Then what you want said inside the quote box is typed. Then at the end "/quote" goes at the end of what you want inside the quote box.In this example, I'm going to spell the quote word wrong on purpose. This way the forum program will leave up the commands so we can see how they are used.Actually you can put any word after the = sign, and that word get's put at top of quote box. Like when you quote bible verses, you can do this:Also, if you want to quote the time someone posted what your quoting, the coma serves as the @ sign.Example: quote=fred, 10:30am sept: 5 1006Now watch what happens to that exact typing when put between quote boxes.The comma shows up as a @ sign in the header of the quote box. So through using advanced quoting you can name your quote box to what your quoteing, who your quoting, and at what time it was quoted by someone else.And if you are quoting two or more people in one post, and want to separate as such. You do this:qoute=fred between brackets [ ]Then further downquote=ikester7579etc....And each quote box header will look like this:So you can quote more than one person per post.You can practice quoting in this thread if you like. And I can correct any mistakes, and show what was done wrong. blink.gif

testing 1

#17 Boilermaker14

Boilermaker14

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Little rock, AR

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:47 PM

Just as an example, I clicked the multiquote button on your post, and then on the post by JayShel above that, and then selected the reply option. It allows you to quote and reply to multiple posts in a single post. I think, although I could be mistaken, in an older version, you couldn't do that with just the quote button, because it would replace the thread in your browser with just your reply box when you clicked the quote button on a post. Now, though, you can just keep hitting quote buttons and it will add them to your reply box at the bottom which has the same effect as the multiquote.

Apparently "MultiQuote" is intended as an aid in quoting form multiple messages (such as the current case that I have many responses to a single message of mine). But I am mystified in how to use the "MultiQuote" button. Offhand, it seems to do the same thing as the "Quote" button.Moose

No I hit the quote button and type below it and this is what happens. If I want to nest the quotes it takes some work:Such as that, simply by hitting the quote button on the respective posts and nesting them manually.

#18 Boilermaker14

Boilermaker14

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Little rock, AR

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

Hi FredEverytime I edit my Post I have to re format both the quotes and new text. This could be a fault of my computer as I am using a computer at an istitution that has many filters. Also the tool bar will not highlight for usage. 

3?

#19 Bonedigger

Bonedigger

Admin Team

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1045 posts
  • Interests:Creation, Vertebrate Paleontology-particularly mammals and especially Perissodactyls & Carnivores, Hunting, Shooting, Handloading, Weaving Chainmaille, Hebrew and other Biblically relevant languages, Astronomy
  • Christian
  • Colorado

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:04 PM

This reminds me. In the forum configuration, there is an option to allow embedded quotes which is currently turned off. In other words, if you quote a post that also has a quote in it, the forum automatically deletes the inner quote from your quote. With that option turned on, it would retain that inner quote. We've discussed this a little behind the scenes, and everyone in Admin seems to think that would be good to have turned on, but I'm wondering what the members think. Right now, if you want to create a quote within quote to retain the context of that quote, you have to manually manipulate it like Ron illustrated above. With that option turned on, you wouldn't have to do that. The downside would be that lazy posting could result in a huge post with a quote within a quote within a quote...up to the quote limit of ten per post, presumably. I'm just wondering what you guys think about turning that on.

#20 Boilermaker14

Boilermaker14

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Little rock, AR

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:06 PM

Being new and all and not experienced on forums, lazy sounds good! But I can see how that might lead to a headache or two when trying to decipher everything that's being quoted in that instant. I dunno, easy sounds good though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users