NewPath

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Durban, SA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

Or it could be referring to the universe and all in it. There is no scriptural reason to suspect otherwise.

Yes there is, Genesis 1 has TWO earths being created and TWO heavens. Which earth is being referred to in exodus 20, that of verse 1 or that of verse 10?

Exodus cant be referring to the planet earth of verse 1, because that planet earth was created before day 1, Exodus is referring to the 6 day period.
Exodus 20 can be referring to verse 10, the word "earth" meaning "land", this is what Exodus is referring to.

I dont see what is so biblically incorrect with seeing Exodus 20 referring to Genesis 1:10, the creation of land.

#22 Calypsis4

Calypsis4

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts
  • Interests:Retired science teacher with 26 yrs of experience: Biology, physical sciences, & physics.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Midwest, USA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

I agree, but those other verse are referring to mankind and geneologies. Exodus does refer to the earth and the heaven within 6 days, yet Genesis describes earth as the land rising out the water (day 3) and the heaven as the expanse between the waters ( day 2) and so there is nothing in the bible that literally states that the planet itself was made in those 6 days. Have you got a specific verse for me? Genesis 1:1 seems to indicate they were there before the first day was created.

The point is clear, I am a bible literalist and agree with a 6 day creation and 6500 years of genetic life. From a biblical perspective we cannot insist on a young earth too unless we have a bible verse for it.

I don't get your reasoning nor why day 2 and day 3 present a problem.

What Moses said is enough: "for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is ...". 'Them' refers to all in both heaven and earth. That covers the bases. What more does one need?

Best wishes.

#23 Stripe

Stripe

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, cricket, earthquakes.
  • Christian
  • Taipei, Taiwan.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

Yes there is, Genesis 1 has TWO earths being created and TWO heavens. Which earth is being referred to in exodus 20, that of verse 1 or that of verse 10?

There are different ideas that can be derived from the words for heaven and Earth. That doesn't mean multiple entities were created, one for each definition.

I dont see what is so biblically incorrect with seeing Exodus 20 referring to Genesis 1:10, the creation of land.

There is nothing biblically incorrect about the plain reading.

#24 NewPath

NewPath

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Durban, SA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:47 AM

I don't get your reasoning nor why day 2 and day 3 present a problem.

What Moses said is enough: "for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is ...". 'Them' refers to all in both heaven and earth. That covers the bases. What more does one need?

Best wishes.

for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is

Translated correctly, using the Hebrew, this means in six days the Lord made the sky (the expanse between the waters on day 2) and the land , and the sea, and all that is them.

This says nothing about the planet earth and the universe that was created before day 1.

#25 Calypsis4

Calypsis4

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts
  • Interests:Retired science teacher with 26 yrs of experience: Biology, physical sciences, & physics.
  • Christian
  • Midwest, USA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

Exodus cant be referring to the planet earth of verse 1, because that planet earth was created before day 1, Exodus is referring to the 6 day period.
Exodus 20 can be referring to verse 10, the word "earth" meaning "land", this is what Exodus is referring to.

Huh? Two earths?

That is tortured logic. What was spoken of in Genesis verse one is merely elaborated by Moses in the rest of the passage. Don't make it more complicated than it is. The 'land' mentioned is merely more detail about what God was doing in that 6 day period.

#26 NewPath

NewPath

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Durban, SA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:28 AM

Huh? Two earths?

That is tortured logic. What was spoken of in Genesis verse one is merely elaborated by Moses in the rest of the passage. Don't make it more complicated than it is. The 'land' mentioned is merely more detail about what God was doing in that 6 day period.

Its not tortured logic. The Hebrew word for earth is " 'erets ", This word erets means : earth, soil, land, countries.

1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth (erets)
(This is before day 1, probably meaning the whole surface of the planet, the entire planet)

1:9-10 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so. And God called the dry land Earth (erets)
(This is on day 3, and in context means the land as opposed to the sea)

Now Exodus 20 is referring to the six days, it could just be referring to the land, why do you assume its referring to the planet earth, when it mentions the land and the sea?
for in six days the LORD made heaven and "erets", the sea, and all that is in them

The more obvious interpretation is that the entire surface was created before day 1, then we had light on day one, then the land came on day 3. Unfortunately the same word "erets" is used for the creation before day 1, and the creation of land on day 3, Hebrew does not have separate words for those seperate concepts.

#27 Calypsis4

Calypsis4

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts
  • Christian
  • Midwest, USA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

Its not tortured logic. The Hebrew word for earth is " 'erets ", This word erets means : earth, soil, land, countries.

1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth (erets)
(This is before day 1, probably meaning the whole surface of the planet, the entire planet)

1:9-10 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so. And God called the dry land Earth (erets)
(This is on day 3, and in context means the land as opposed to the sea)

Now Exodus 20 is referring to the six days, it could just be referring to the land, why do you assume its referring to the planet earth, when it mentions the land and the sea?
for in six days the LORD made heaven and "erets", the sea, and all that is in them

The more obvious interpretation is that the entire surface was created before day 1, then we had light on day one, then the land came on day 3. Unfortunately the same word "erets" is used for the creation before day 1, and the creation of land on day 3, Hebrew does not have separate words for those seperate concepts.

Then pray tell, where is this other earth you speak of?

#28 NewPath

NewPath

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Durban, SA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

Then pray tell, where is this other earth you speak of?

The earth is mentioned TWICE. The two earths I was referring to , is the word "earth" mentioned in v1 and the word "earth" mentioned in v10. Thus two "earths" are mentioned, each in a different timing and different context. I was not meaning two planets, I am referring to one word mentioned twice.

Once meaning the planet (v1)
Once meaning the land (v10)

I must apologise, I must be very bad at expressing myself if its taken two pages for you to grasp my meaning.

#29 NewPath

NewPath

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Durban, SA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

There are different ideas that can be derived from the words for heaven and Earth. That doesn't mean multiple entities were created, one for each definition.

The context is indicating two seperate meanings.

You see, Genesis 1:1-2 is referring to a formless watery planet, this is the earth of Genesis 1:1

Genesis 1:9-10 is referring to land appearing seperate to the water.

Thus the context itself clearly shows us two meanings are used. Its pretty clear, because the first mentioned earth has no land, and the second mentioned earth IS THE LAND.

Exodus 20 for two seperate reasons is more clearly referring to Genesis 1:10, firstly because its referring to occurrences within the six day period, a simple reading of Genesis without YEC assumptions would see that Genesis 1:1 occurs before day 1, and Genesis 1:10 occurs within the 6 days. Secondly Exodus 20 is referring to the "erets" and the sea which fits in better with the "land" and the sea; than "planet earth" and the sea.

#30 Calypsis4

Calypsis4

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts
  • Christian
  • Midwest, USA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

The context is indicating two seperate meanings.

You see, Genesis 1:1-2 is referring to a formless watery planet, this is the earth of Genesis 1:1

Genesis 1:9-10 is referring to land appearing seperate to the water.

Thus the context itself clearly shows us two meanings are used. Its pretty clear, because the first mentioned earth has no land, and the second mentioned earth IS THE LAND.

Exodus 20 for two seperate reasons is more clearly referring to Genesis 1:10, firstly because its referring to occurrences within the six day period, a simple reading of Genesis without YEC assumptions would see that Genesis 1:1 occurs before day 1, and Genesis 1:10 occurs within the 6 days. Secondly Exodus 20 is referring to the "erets" and the sea which fits in better with the "land" and the sea; than "planet earth" and the sea.

God created it ALL in six days, that includes both what is mentioned in vs 1 and vss 9-10. Vss 9-10 is merely a continuation of what had already been stated in vs 1. It's merely more details about what had already been stated.

#31 Stripe

Stripe

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Christian
  • Taipei, Taiwan.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

The context is indicating two seperate meanings.You see, Genesis 1:1-2 is referring to a formless watery planet, this is the earth of Genesis 1:1Genesis 1:9-10 is referring to land appearing seperate to the water.Thus the context itself clearly shows us two meanings are used. Its pretty clear, because the first mentioned earth has no land, and the second mentioned earth IS THE LAND.Exodus 20 for two seperate reasons is more clearly referring to Genesis 1:10, firstly because its referring to occurrences within the six day period, a simple reading of Genesis without YEC assumptions would see that Genesis 1:1 occurs before day 1, and Genesis 1:10 occurs within the 6 days. Secondly Exodus 20 is referring to the "erets" and the sea which fits in better with the "land" and the sea; than "planet earth" and the sea.

There are multiple meanings for "earth", but all that was created fits well withing the six days we are told about.

There is no scriptural reason to campaign for millions of years or even an extra day within the creation account.

#32 Calypsis4

Calypsis4

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts
  • Christian
  • Midwest, USA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

There are multiple meanings for "earth", but all that was created fits well withing the six days we are told about.

There is no scriptural reason to campaign for millions of years or even an extra day within the creation account.

I agree stripe.

I am not really much interested in 'gap theory' stuff so I'll let this one ride.

Best wishes.

#33 JayShel

JayShel

Former Atheist

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Saved July 12, 2007

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

There is nothing biblically incorrect about the plain reading.

In these posts you quoted someone, disagreed with them, but did not substantiate your claim that they are wrong. This does not help convince others of the truth to your argument. I find it helpful when you use scripture to back your claims that other Christians are wrong, that way you either:
1. help convince them that they ARE making unbiblical claims.
2. realize they they are NOT making unbiblical claims, and humble yourselves to other people's valid claims.

#34 Stripe

Stripe

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Christian
  • Taipei, Taiwan.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

I'm more the conversational type. I figure if they want to be convinced, they'll ask. :)

#35 NewPath

NewPath

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Durban, SA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:07 AM

Ok , so I'm asking now. convince me that the watery earth of Genesis 1:1-2 was created within the six days and not before the six days.

#36 Calypsis4

Calypsis4

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts
  • Christian
  • Midwest, USA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:27 AM

Ok , so I'm asking now. convince me that the watery earth of Genesis 1:1-2 was created within the six days and not before the six days.

You were already told and you have it in your Bible.

For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: Ex. 20:11a

What kind of a point are you attempting to make here, anyway?

#37 NewPath

NewPath

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Durban, SA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:20 AM

You were already told and you have it in your Bible.

For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: Ex. 20:11a

What kind of a point are you attempting to make here, anyway?

I already dealt with Exodus 20 repeatedly, it uses the Hebrew word "erets" which is normally used to refer to land and therefore is pointing towards the creation of land in genesis 1:10 and not the creation of the watery planet as per Genesis 1:1-2. In six days the Lord made sky (the expanse) and land, and the sea and all in them. the watery planet already existed before the six days if you take Genesis 1:1-2 literally.

My point I'm trying to make is that YEC is not the only correct literal interpretation of the bible, the YEC position appears less accurate when you read Genesis 1 in a very literal manner. YEC's pride themselves on taking the bible literally instead of symbolising creation, yet I take the bible literally and just do not see a young earth in those six days. The six days STARTED when the spirit of God was already hovering over an already existing watery earth, therefore Exodus 20 is more correctly referring to the creation of "earth" (erets) meaning land, on day 3 (Genesis 1:9-10)

#38 Calypsis4

Calypsis4

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts
  • Christian
  • Midwest, USA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:00 AM

I already dealt with Exodus 20 repeatedly, it uses the Hebrew word "erets" which is normally used to refer to land and therefore is pointing towards the creation of land in genesis 1:10 and not the creation of the watery planet as per Genesis 1:1-2. In six days the Lord made sky (the expanse) and land, and the sea and all in them. the watery planet already existed before the six days if you take Genesis 1:1-2 literally.

My point I'm trying to make is that YEC is not the only correct literal interpretation of the bible, the YEC position appears less accurate when you read Genesis 1 in a very literal manner. YEC's pride themselves on taking the bible literally instead of symbolising creation, yet I take the bible literally and just do not see a young earth in those six days. The six days STARTED when the spirit of God was already hovering over an already existing watery earth, therefore Exodus 20 is more correctly referring to the creation of "earth" (erets) meaning land, on day 3 (Genesis 1:9-10)

Then I would say you have a vivid imagination.

#39 NewPath

NewPath

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Durban, SA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:06 AM

Then I would say you have a vivid imagination.

I'm referring to the bible and the Hebrew, anyway let's see what Stripe has to say.

#40 Stripe

Stripe

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Christian
  • Taipei, Taiwan.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:03 AM

Uh .. no.

You convince us that the Earth must have been created outside the six days recorded.

I already dealt with Exodus 20 repeatedly, it uses the Hebrew word "erets" which is normally used to refer to land and therefore is pointing towards the creation of land in genesis 1:10 and not the creation of the watery planet as per Genesis 1:1-2.

The same word is used to describe the creation of the watery Earth in Gen 1:1 and the proliferation of animals and men upon it later on. That the same word is used in two different ways in no way justifies your insistence that six days does not encapsulate everything.

My point I'm trying to make is that YEC is not the only correct literal interpretation of the bible

There is only one correct account of history. And calling Genesis "literal" has no meaning. It isn't a literal text. There's plenty in it that requires context and understanding of other concepts. And the interpretations have all already been done from Hebrew into English. The text says what it says. Arguing for a multitude of different meanings cannot deny the fact that the text refers to one actual history.

YEC's pride themselves on taking the bible literally instead of symbolising creation

Genesis is historical narrative. The "literal" tag is an atheist tag so they can ridicule the historical interpretation. there's nothing about a historical account that says it cannot contain metaphor and figures of speech.

yet I take the bible literally and just do not see a young earth in those six days. The six days STARTED when the spirit of God was already hovering over an already existing watery earth, therefore Exodus 20 is more correctly referring to the creation of "earth" (erets) meaning land, on day 3 (Genesis 1:9-10)

What you see seems in no way necessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users