#1 Yirmiyahu

Yirmiyahu

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • United States

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:00 AM

Hello everybody!!! I'm not a very good speaker because I often can't get a point across thats in my head onto a disscussion board or anything that involves writing in general, so I would like to apologize in advance if stuff I type seems kind of all over the place. As I am not a very good speaker I will just try to follow a traditional indroduction with a bit of info about myself.

My username is Yirmiyahu which as I understand it is the oldest form of my real name Jeremy (could be wrong on that though)
I love video games (probably a bit too much)
I love christian apologetics (most of everything I know I learned from Answers In Genesis)
I like politics and try to be constantly engaged in them
I also like computers and fixing them and building them
My favorite thing to watch on tv is Turner Classic Movies
My favorite movie of all time is The Lord of The Rings
I also like to think that I am a very nice person (but thats up to you guys to decide :P )

Anyways there's a bit of info about me so maybe you can get a bit of an idea about the kind of person I am, and I look forward to getting to know all you good people on the forums here!!! Also, thank you for your time!!!

#2 Remnant of The Abyss

Remnant of The Abyss

Bible Inerrantist

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Raised Catholic and became born again in college. Now I'm non denominational.
  • Christian
  • Southern USA

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

Hi, and welcome aboard Yirmiyahu!

I love Christian apologetics as well. It's always good to see another Young Earth Creationist here.

#3 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5338 posts
  • Interests:Completed BBiotech (Honours)

Currently studying Masters of Teaching.

Enjoys games of tactics and strategy.
  • (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

Welcome to the board, you'll be exposed to many other arguments for or against evolution that may not be covered by AiG, hence I think this place is a good place to learn new ideas. ("Two heads are better than one" ;) )

#4 Yirmiyahu

Yirmiyahu

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Christian
  • United States

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!!! :D

Welcome to the board, you'll be exposed to many other arguments for or against evolution that may not be covered by AiG, hence I think this place is a good place to learn new ideas. ("Two heads are better than one" ;) )

Exactly!!! I would also like to learn about things not nessicarly dealing with evolution like how to debate a Mormon, which AiG doesn't talk about that much.

#5 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5338 posts

• (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

Can't help you there. But I think its pretty easy since the proof they give of Joseph Smith's story is "a burning in the breast" and a feeling that it is true... People can easily be deceived by their feelings on something. Kinda like when you have crazy people who think they are doing X in the name of God, Allah, Buddha etc, when in fact the thing they are doing doesn't fit... There are many examples where piousness has caused such things. This is why it is important to have proper grounding.

Or how about a divorced couple, I am sure when they got married they loved each other very much, however over time those feelings can change, hence feelings are not a good standpoint for truth, let alone evidence of truth, due to the very fact that feelings can change... Truth on the other hand doesn't.

#6 Yirmiyahu

Yirmiyahu

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Christian
  • United States

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:55 AM

Can't help you there. But I think its pretty easy since the proof they give of Joseph Smith's story is "a burning in the breast" and a feeling that it is true... People can easily be deceived by their feelings on something. Kinda like when you have crazy people who think they are doing X in the name of God, Allah, Buddha etc, when in fact the thing they are doing doesn't fit... There are many examples where piousness has caused such things. This is why it is important to have proper grounding.

Or how about a divorced couple, I am sure when they got married they loved each other very much, however over time those feelings can change, hence feelings are not a good standpoint for truth, let alone evidence of truth, due to the very fact that feelings can change... Truth on the other hand doesn't.

Right I see what your saying, well one day soon I'll have to start a new topic where everyone can weigh in, and I would like to compile all of the arguments against it into a folder so I can study them. Also I've been a lurker on this forum for a couple of months and please excuse my intrusion but Gilbo didn't you used to be an agnostic? I may be wrong on that but if you are now a Creationist since I last read stuff from you as an agnostic I would love it if you could send me a link to a previous written testimony (like if you announced when you came to Christ) or just give me a quick testimony on how you came to Christ, It would be very uplifting to me to read something like that, and I would very much appreciate it. Oh and once again thank you for your time and the warm welcome! :D

#7 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5338 posts

• (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:11 AM

Right I see what your saying, well one day soon I'll have to start a new topic where everyone can weigh in, and I would like to compile all of the arguments against it into a folder so I can study them. Also I've been a lurker on this forum for a couple of months and please excuse my intrusion but Gilbo didn't you used to be an agnostic? I may be wrong on that but if you are now a Creationist since I last read stuff from you as an agnostic I would love it if you could send me a link to a previous written testimony (like if you announced when you came to Christ) or just give me a quick testimony on how you came to Christ, It would be very uplifting to me to read something like that, and I would very much appreciate it. Oh and once again thank you for your time and the warm welcome! :D

Being a creationist doesn't automatically infer Christian.. I am sure there are Jewish Creationists and Muslim Creationists, and even ID is semi-creationist.

I am the later, I believe in a designer but have my doubts to who this designer is... Whilst I was brought up Christian and will always have a Christian bias I am open to other ideas if they have the proper evidence.

#8 Remnant of The Abyss

Remnant of The Abyss

Bible Inerrantist

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Raised Catholic and became born again in college. Now I'm non denominational.
  • Christian
  • Southern USA

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:54 AM

Exactly!!! I would also like to learn about things not nessicarly dealing with evolution like how to debate a Mormon, which AiG doesn't talk about that much.

Whoa, how to debate a Mormon? I was doing that for a good 6 months. The ones I've met are very slippery fish for sure, case studies in equivocation.

#9 Yirmiyahu

Yirmiyahu

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Christian
  • United States

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

Being a creationist doesn't automatically infer Christian.. I am sure there are Jewish Creationists and Muslim Creationists, and even ID is semi-creationist.

I am the later, I believe in a designer but have my doubts to who this designer is... Whilst I was brought up Christian and will always have a Christian bias I am open to other ideas if they have the proper evidence.

You know what your right, I'm sorry about that. Last night I was very tired and didn't even think about how there could be other creationist, so I would like to apologize for that. But am I correct in saying that you recently switch from agnostic to a creationist? Because if so even that if very uplifting to me.

Whoa, how to debate a Mormon? I was doing that for a good 6 months. The ones I've met are very slippery fish for sure, case studies in equivocation.

Yes my best friends are mormon, so I'm trying to learn more about the flaws with mormonism so when I can put together a good case against mormonism I can preach the true gospel while I defend against their fake one. So when I do get the topic going I hope to learn as much as I can from you, and anyone else who participates. :)

#10 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5338 posts

• (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

You know what your right, I'm sorry about that. Last night I was very tired and didn't even think about how there could be other creationist, so I would like to apologize for that. But am I correct in saying that you recently switch from agnostic to a creationist? Because if so even that if very uplifting to me.

Yes my best friends are mormon, so I'm trying to learn more about the flaws with mormonism so when I can put together a good case against mormonism I can preach the true gospel while I defend against their fake one. So when I do get the topic going I hope to learn as much as I can from you, and anyone else who participates. :)

No problem, its occurred before so you're not the only one, (at least you didn't say I was being dishonest :D )...

Yeah I changed my worldview since I figured this is a better representation of what I believe.. I believe in design, (and did so when I was "agnostic"), its just the "who" which I am doubtful of, (hence the "private").

Just a word of wisdom from my own experience. If you wish to evangelise to your friends may I suggest a "baby-step" approach. Back when I was a Christian I was all gung-ho and my attitude actually forced the person away, (my cousin in fact, we do talk but not to the extent we used to before.. :( ). I wouldn't want this to happen to you, since friendships are special no matter what the person believes. It is good you wish to help your friends, but please do so in a manner that doesn't have the potential to back-fire.

#11 Yirmiyahu

Yirmiyahu

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Christian
  • United States

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:47 AM

Just a word of wisdom from my own experience. If you wish to evangelise to your friends may I suggest a "baby-step" approach. Back when I was a Christian I was all gung-ho and my attitude actually forced the person away, (my cousin in fact, we do talk but not to the extent we used to before.. :( ). I wouldn't want this to happen to you, since friendships are special no matter what the person believes. It is good you wish to help your friends, but please do so in a manner that doesn't have the potential to back-fire.

Yes I understand and thank you for the advice, my dad also cautions me about being to gung-ho the story he always tells me is when he talked to a pastor in California and the pastor was telling a story about a man who had just recently found God. The pastor had went over to the mans house (the man was a biker gang type of guy) and the man asked the pastor if he would join him in prayer, so when the man started praying he started talking about his day and asking for forgiveness but while he was doing so he started cussing all the while asking for forgiveness. But the pastor did not stop him because the man had just recently found God and as you said the pastor was taking a "baby-steps" approach because the pastor knew that in time the man would learn that what he was doing was wrong, but for the meantime the pastor was just happy the man was praying.

#12 Remnant of The Abyss

Remnant of The Abyss

Bible Inerrantist

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Christian
  • Southern USA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:55 AM

We have a great thread on Mormonism that I was reading through just yesterday. Check it out, specifically Teejay's post #12:

http://www.evolution...indpost&p=70412

#13 Remnant of The Abyss

Remnant of The Abyss

Bible Inerrantist

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Christian
  • Southern USA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:02 AM

No problem, its occurred before so you're not the only one, (at least you didn't say I was being dishonest :D )...

Yeah, well I apologize for saying that. You're correct that you are within your rights to make the choices you have made in identifying yourself here. I don't have a problem with you per se, I take issue with the site's settings. I don't think that "Private" should be allowed along with "Creationist" BECAUSE this very thing causes confusion. We can see it has happened again here. I made my concerns known to TPTB and I'm hoping a change is made regarding this. If not, oh well, nothing is perfect except God. ;)

#14 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5338 posts

• (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

Yeah, well I apologize for saying that. You're correct that you are within your rights to make the choices you have made in identifying yourself here. I don't have a problem with you per se, I take issue with the site's settings. I don't think that "Private" should be allowed along with "Creationist" BECAUSE this very thing causes confusion. We can see it has happened again here. I made my concerns known to TPTB and I'm hoping a change is made regarding this. If not, oh well, nothing is perfect except God. ;)

Thanks for your apology

The way I see it there is no problem, and the only problem from where this stems is from peoples assumptions that believing in a creator automatically assumes being a Christian. As I mentioned before, just don't assume and everything will be fine.

The privacy option is there for... privacy... I do not understand why you have a problem with this, and why its a big deal? Consider the fact that there are other "types" of Creationist and as I have said all other options do not fit what I believe hence the private is what I go for... (If it were up to me I'd have a bar where I can write something instead... like an other bar)

Yes I understand and thank you for the advice, my dad also cautions me about being to gung-ho the story he always tells me is when he talked to a pastor in California and the pastor was telling a story about a man who had just recently found God. The pastor had went over to the mans house (the man was a biker gang type of guy) and the man asked the pastor if he would join him in prayer, so when the man started praying he started talking about his day and asking for forgiveness but while he was doing so he started cussing all the while asking for forgiveness. But the pastor did not stop him because the man had just recently found God and as you said the pastor was taking a "baby-steps" approach because the pastor knew that in time the man would learn that what he was doing was wrong, but for the meantime the pastor was just happy the man was praying.

No problem, yes the pastor was wise to do so. I'm glad you already knew :D

Its unfortunate sometimes people get so wrapped up in living for Christ that they can be quite heavy-handed, yet doing so more often than not drives people away, (hence its less useful than the approach taken via the pastor, and some would argue less glorifying to God).

I've experienced this a few times.

#15 Yirmiyahu

Yirmiyahu

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Christian
  • United States

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

Sorry I haven't been able to respond guys, I've been helping my cousin move into a new house.

We have a great thread on Mormonism that I was reading through just yesterday. Check it out, specifically Teejay's post #12:

http://www.evolution...indpost&p=70412

Thank you for the link Remnant, the thread looks like it has a lot of great information on mormonism. In fact I started watching that movie you posted The God Makers, I got about 30 minutes into it and I have to say that's some pretty crazy stuff! (to me at least)

No problem, yes the pastor was wise to do so. I'm glad you already knew :D

Its unfortunate sometimes people get so wrapped up in living for Christ that they can be quite heavy-handed, yet doing so more often than not drives people away, (hence its less useful than the approach taken via the pastor, and some would argue less glorifying to God).

I've experienced this a few times.

I agree that it is unfortunate, and although I have never experienced it myself I have seen it happen to others.
  • Remnant of The Abyss likes this

#16 SomchaiA

SomchaiA

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Movies. music, science.
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:56 AM

Welcome. You are good for thinking you are poor speaker.

#17 Yirmiyahu

Yirmiyahu

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Christian
  • United States

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:32 AM

Sorry again guys, haven't been on lately because I keep getting side tracked with school work. :(

Welcome. You are good for thinking you are poor speaker.

Thanks I guess? :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users