• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7000 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:41 AM

Penn from Penn & Teller posted this and I thought it was very interesting:

7JHS8adO3hM

I just had a meeting with some pastors from my area and it keeps dawning on me that the best way to reach people is just be honest with your motives.

#2 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:50 PM

This is a perfect example of how planting seeds in the right way has an effect on people. If you truly care about their well being, then you should show it instead of comming off all defensive. People can tell when and when you don't truly care.

#3 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7000 posts
  • Christian

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:52 PM

Yep, you're right. Sometimes easier said than done.

#4 de_skudd

de_skudd

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1518 posts
  • Interests:reading, learning, talking and stuff
  • no affiliation
  • Creationist
  • North Augusta, SC

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:15 PM

Knowing some of the stuff that comes out of this man's mouth, I was impressed by his being touched because the other gentleman's demeanor, message and gift.

Very thought provoking indeed...

#5 jason78

jason78

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1349 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Birmingham, UK

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:32 AM

That's a great post. It's nice to be reminded that there are good Christians out there. Sometimes in the heat of a debate with strongly held views, people can forget that.

#6 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7000 posts
  • Christian

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:15 AM

That's a great post.  It's nice to be reminded that there are good Christians out there.   Sometimes in the heat of a debate with strongly held views, people can forget that.

View Post

I'm not speaking for every person that claims Christianity but I know that you're a friend and I love you for the sake of Christ and the fact that we're brothers in Adam. I don't seek to embarrass anyone. I seek to show and learn truth simultaneously.

I know Christians can seem a little hard boiled at times but they're on a mission. This world is falling apart and sinking because of sin and we're intent on getting as many people to the life preserver as possible before they go down with the ship.

I haven't met a person yet or interacted with anyone where I didn't know God had a purpose for the interaction.

Adam

#7 de_skudd

de_skudd

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1518 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Creationist
  • North Augusta, SC

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:16 AM

Yeah... Its a good thing there are SOME good Christians out there :lol: :lol:

#8 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7000 posts
  • Christian

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:19 AM

Yeah... Its a good thing there are SOME good Christians out there   :lol:   :lol:

View Post

Where? :lol:

They're just as lost in the flesh as anyone. Having Christ doesn't make us any better then anyone one else. We need forgiveness because we aren't good.

I live a holier life now then I ever have and it gets more obvious how unholy we are the better I perform. Weird, huh?

#9 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:15 AM

Okay guys, quit the joking. This is a serious subject because it exposes what's wrong with the Christian faith today.

So let's take this to another level. What can we do to reach people like this person reached Penn?

Make it to where this forum is an actual representation of Christ?

Anyone?

#10 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7000 posts
  • Christian

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:23 PM

I wasn't joking.

#11 de_skudd

de_skudd

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1518 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Creationist
  • North Augusta, SC

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:29 AM

Okay guys, quit the joking. This is a serious subject because it exposes what's wrong with the Christian faith today.

So let's take this to another level. What can we do to reach people like this person reached Penn?

Make it to where this forum is an actual representation of Christ?

Anyone?

View Post

Make no mistake, I wasn't joking...

Yeah... Its a good thing there are SOME good Christians out there :rolleyes: <_<

View Post

It was a poignant remark to a flippant statement. And I wasn’t so much joking as I was making a point. The guy who talked to Penn was witnessing in the way he (I hope) was led by the Holy Spirit. But, this is not how we are always to witness! We are to witness as the situation dictates.

Could you imagine if this was the approach that the Apostle Paul always took in his witness? Three quarters of the churches he planted would never have gotten off the ground. And remember, in his apologetic to Festus and King Agrippa, he didn’t say “you know honorable Festus, you may be right… I might be crazy”. No, he appealed to the rational of truth in his witness”. Paul also said that we must become adaptive in our witnessing. We must learn from those we are witnessing to, the way to best witness to them (without compromising our witness or walk). Remember his apologetic at Mars hill? These are two distinct and variant witnessing styles Paul used. And yet, in neither one was Paul shy in his tactics.

If all Christians witnessed, to all nonbelievers, in the manner that this individual gave a short witness to Penn, there would be no witness to give. And this is why the atheist would like the Christian to witness (at all times) in that fashion. To be mostly silent in our faith; to only walk the walk, and leave the talk at home. This is why the comment “there are good Christians out there” gives the connotation that witnessing in any other way makes you a “not” good Christian…

#12 Adam Nagy

Adam Nagy

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7000 posts
  • Christian

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:14 AM

I have to say I misunderstood your statement as well. I enjoyed your explanation though. I think Ikester wants to see us be more careful with what we say and I can respect that because miscommunication is really easy on a forum like this. Remember this is coming from a guy who leans towards your end of the sarcasm witnessing. :rolleyes:

#13 de_skudd

de_skudd

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1518 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Creationist
  • North Augusta, SC

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:02 AM

I have to say I misunderstood your statement as well. I enjoyed your explanation though. I think Ikester wants to see us be more careful with what we say and I can respect that because miscommunication is really easy on a forum like this. Remember this is coming from a guy who leans towards your end of the sarcasm witnessing. :)

View Post

I just didn't want anyone to think I was one of those "Quote" "Un-Quote" Good Christians <_<

Sometimes a sarcastic and succinct reply will get the point across just as nicely as a well drawn out and point by point dissertation. And, if you read the subtlety in the stab (and derision it contained) of the remark I was replying to, you’ll understand why I felt my comment was needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users