Photo

Why Using Several Translations Is Wrong.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

I often run into people who debate theology and because they use more than one translation and the disagreement comes in the form of which translation they accept on that particular subject. But this also poses a problem that most do not even realize.

Let's say I want to be able to do something that is borderline sin. I'm using three translations.

One says it's totally wrong and is a sin.
One kinda implies it's wrong and is not clear it's a sin.
One does not imply anything.

Now because "I" believe things should be a certain way concerning this subject and I want it to be not a sin. Which translation am I most likely to go with? And if I do this because of what I want to be truth then truth becomes my opinion and not God's.

And since it's "me" that makes the decision on what "I" will accept as truth where is the Holy Spirit in all this?

When you give your flesh a choice then you allow your flesh to make the decision it becomes your truth and not God's.. And where the flesh rules the spirit is weak.

This is why I only use one translation because it keeps my flesh at bay. And any misunderstood contradictions are from the same book and not between several books from which I have to make a decision on.

Because how does one determine the right meaning if each book happens to contradict each other and also within themselves? It is hard enough to work out the meaning and understanding of something that seems to contradict within one book. But several? Also when you depend more on the books for guidance, then you are relying more of finding truth on your own and the Holy Spirit will step back because His service is no longer needed. Why? Because when you don;t understand, what do you do when you have several books to look into?

1) Do you pray for guidance?
2) Do you open another translation to figure out truth in your own way?

Things that take us away from relying on things that we should only separates us more from the one we should always strive to be close to.

#2 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

I agree that I have seen people use several translations this way. Jehovah's Witnesses are a case in point. They use the one that fits best with what they want to say to prove what they already believe.

Some people, however, use several translations in order to deepen their understanding. I know my husband, for example studies the KJV alongside the NASB and has never found an inconsistency to make a decision on. The differences are very few, practically non-existant and are simply synonyms.

I also know many strong Christians such as my cult minister and my pastor who use the Strong's concordance in order to deepen their understanding. I looked up remission for example and it was nice to see all of the different meanings and how I was led to feel that they all apply.

If we were meant to rely on the Spirit alone, then why did God provide the written word? Why did He allow His written word to be translated into so many languages?

#3 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:07 AM

some bibles say things better then the version you have.

the kjv has some errors in it such as the yohahine comma, and also the small s for Spirit(depends on which version you have)

#4 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:10 AM

I agree that I have seen people use several translations this way. Jehovah's Witnesses are a case in point. They use the one that fits best with what they want to say to prove what they already believe.

Some people, however, use several translations in order to deepen their understanding. I know my husband, for example studies the KJV alongside the NASB and has never found an inconsistency to make a decision on. The differences are very few, practically non-existant and are simply synonyms.

I also know many strong Christians such as my cult minister and my pastor who use the Strong's concordance in order to deepen their understanding. I looked up remission for example and it was nice to see all of the different meanings and how I was led to feel that they all apply.

If we were meant to rely on the Spirit alone, then why did God provide the written word? Why did He allow His written word to be translated into so many languages?

Then you can find whatever book you need for whatever wisdom you seek and just quit relying on the Holy spirit altogether. And there are enough books on the subject to do just that and some people will do just that. When we stand before God do you think He will judge us by different translations or just one? For if God is going to use many then basically any version of truth or sin will do. And everyone will be able to justify their sin by what version of a translation they used. And God becomes a genie who has to judge and abide by the translations you or I use and decide truth on.

#5 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

so we should only use the kjv here in the states?
its the oldest one for the us. the puritians gave that to us. i like it and i use it.

that said what if one goes to spain or some hispanic area and learns spanish and has to translate back and forth from old english to modern spanish. that is more difficult then you think. as some words arent used anymore and may be hard to translate to spanish unless you are real strong in spanish. so i would suggest using a spanish bible.

if the bible is that corrupted then god didnt preserve his word

many bibles in english use the same version of old texts as the kjv did and say it well.

#6 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:27 AM

some bibles say things better then the version you have.

the kjv has some errors in it such as the yohahine comma, and also the small s for Spirit(depends on which version you have)

And there are people who claim I am a member of a cult because I use the KJV only. the only reason people attack it from both sides is because truth is always attacked. In fact the KJV is the most attacked version of the Bible there is. Satan only goes after the truth with such vegilance.

Satan cannot be against Satan unless his kingdom fall.

Can you explain why both sides go after the KJV more than any other translation? What would you say the reasoning is behind that? And why is it consider a cult worship by some Christians for anyone to use the KJV only because they hate it so? Who do you think Satan goes after so and pushes others to do the same?

Do you think I am cult worshipper for reading the KJV only?

Here's several videos from youtube on the subject. Most everyone of them is from Christians and full of hate towards anyone whom would dare use the KJV only.

http://www.youtube.c...0l812l0.2.2l4l0

They do this for the same reason both sides attack YEC.

#7 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:29 AM

so we should only use the kjv here in the states?
its the oldest one for the us. the puritians gave that to us. i like it and i use it.

that said what if one goes to spain or some hispanic area and learns spanish and has to translate back and forth from old english to modern spanish. that is more difficult then you think. as some words arent used anymore and may be hard to translate to spanish unless you are real strong in spanish. so i would suggest using a spanish bible.

if the bible is that corrupted then god didnt preserve his word

many bibles in english use the same version of old texts as the kjv did and say it well.

Language translations is not the problem. It's when you have a 100 books about the samething in the same language all with different opinions or words that can sway people to think different things.

Why do you think there are so many different denominations and only one body of Christ we are all supposed to belong to?
What do you think makes us fight and disagree so when in Christ we are supposed to know peace that is beyond understanding?

If the body of Christ could unite and agree Satan would be finished. But making us disagree with all these different ideas is how he keeps us apart and therefore weak.

Imagine if you will ten Christians with the prayer warrior gift getting together to agree in prayer all at the same time. Do you know how powerful that prayer would be? But it won;t happen because as long as there is a reason to disagree there will be no reason to unite and obtain that much power.

And Christians wonder why atheist doubt us when we have someone who has been healed. Or that salvation changes your life. They see us as we are not as we think we are. fighting among ourselves trying to prove who's right. Why would they even want that? The peace that is promised is not there for them to see.

#8 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:55 AM

did i say anything about kjvo?

i like the kjv simply because its my first bible,but lets say mamaelephant was lead to the nkjv and posts from it who is right?

now then. where you err is the calvinists that we got kjv from believed almost as i do on the end times. i posted a link to adam clarke a puritan. his commentary is with the kjv.

now then come the 19th century, schofield comes along with his version and comments, same bible. whom is right?

there is some modification with his bible if recall but not too significant.

and the kjv is in old english which still is english but its archaic. we dont speak with thees, and thous and albeit do we? some like a modern translation.

i hope you realise that koine greek that the bible uses isnt used at all and yes the modern greeks can understand it buts it like really ancient greek to them.

my grandson nathan uses a childs bible that is ok (i looked it up) he is used to it and i let him read it. unless its the nwt or other known perversion i will allow him to use it. its all about preference

im sure you do realise that the word baptism isnt even an english word, we have the kjv translators for that as king james was into sprinkling baptism. so the real word that should have been used(immersion in water). so know we all say baptism.

most of the pastors i listen to uses the kjv. my pastor does and so do alot of radio ministries.

#9 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:18 AM

And there are people who claim I am a member of a cult because I use the KJV only. the only reason people attack it from both sides is because truth is always attacked. In fact the KJV is the most attacked version of the Bible there is. Satan only goes after the truth with such vegilance.

Satan cannot be against Satan unless his kingdom fall.

Can you explain why both sides go after the KJV more than any other translation? What would you say the reasoning is behind that? And why is it consider a cult worship by some Christians for anyone to use the KJV only because they hate it so? Who do you think Satan goes after so and pushes others to do the same?

Do you think I am cult worshipper for reading the KJV only?

Here's several videos from youtube on the subject. Most everyone of them is from Christians and full of hate towards anyone whom would dare use the KJV only.

http://www.youtube.c...0l812l0.2.2l4l0

They do this for the same reason both sides attack YEC.

The KJV was used by Russel and Rutherford when deciding that the soul is not immortal, there is no hell, and Jesus is not God.

Bible Students who followed these teachings were put into concentration camps with the Jews during WWII. Jehovah's Witnesses are "persecuted" nearly everywhere they go. They stand out as different... they are beaten and put in jail. Georgia is the country I remember hearing about the most. In the midst of a growing menace to law-abiding Christians in India, incidents of mob attacks continue to occur against Jehovah’s Witnesses in India’s southern state of Karnataka.

Jehovah's Witnesses all believe the exact same things and hold to the same standards in over 230 lands.

Let's see... oh yes... the Mormons in my homeschool group are also hated because when they speak about their beliefs many will tell them that they are wrong and in a cult. and Catholics of course, claim this as well, as many are quick to tell them that they are wrong and going to hell.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

#10 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:25 AM

when i was a youth(aged 4) the watchtower tract society did still use the kjv. its not the edition at all most of the time its the reader of the bible and him or her not being spirit lead.

#11 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:32 AM

when i was a youth(aged 4) the watchtower tract society did still use the kjv. its not the edition at all most of the time its the reader of the bible and him or her not being spirit lead.

Yes, I have learned recently: It is possible for the saved to fall away to following the wrong beliefs, or even being led by the wrong spirit.

For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.-- 2 Corinthians 11:4

Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.-- Romans 16:17

#12 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:38 AM

i have a rule. if it makes the bible open up too you. it must be the holy spirit, but dont always rush to think that you are right. pray and ask god if what you see is the truth.

#13 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

The KJV was used by Russel and Rutherford when deciding that the soul is not immortal, there is no hell, and Jesus is not God.

Bible Students who followed these teachings were put into concentration camps with the Jews during WWII. Jehovah's Witnesses are "persecuted" nearly everywhere they go. They stand out as different... they are beaten and put in jail. Georgia is the country I remember hearing about the most. In the midst of a growing menace to law-abiding Christians in India, incidents of mob attacks continue to occur against Jehovah’s Witnesses in India’s southern state of Karnataka.

Jehovah's Witnesses all believe the exact same things and hold to the same standards in over 230 lands.

Let's see... oh yes... the Mormons in my homeschool group are also hated because when they speak about their beliefs many will tell them that they are wrong and in a cult. and Catholics of course, claim this as well, as many are quick to tell them that they are wrong and going to hell.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

And now you know why I am non-denominational. Who wants to be tied to all that? Plus anyone can take any version of the Bible and take what is said out of context and ignore all that is against it and make their own doctrine. The perfect example is the osas believers. You can show them several verses where they are wrong and they will ignore them in favor of their beloved doctrine. Some even to the point they will hate you while others may even cuss you out.

A good example is a preacher from Texas on youtube that challenged me to a debate on the subject of osas. Once he realized I knew what I was talking about he blocked me (ignored it in favor of his doctrine).But who knows, what I said may have planted some seeds that may grow later. But the deal with preaching the wrong thing is that you have to recant everything you have said on the subject when wrong and stand before your congregation and admit to being wrong. It's not an easy thing to do and some have to much pride to do it, Even I would have a problem doing it but I would in trust that God would use it to His will. The thing that hurts the most to do usually means you are doing something that requires dying to the flesh so that the spirit can become stronger.

#14 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

It hurts me when I fight the Spirit. :huh: I feel so much better after obeying.

#15 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:13 AM

It hurts me when I fight the Spirit. :huh: I feel so much better after obeying.

It also depends on your existing attitude whether something will be hard or easy. If a person has a humble attitude already then being as humble as God needs won't be a problem. And someone who is rarely humble will have a major problem with this. For each person the path travelled to the goal is different.

#16 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

no one person is exempt from any influence of a denomination. even the idea non-denomitational has limits to it. constant rechecking the word and what it says does help but we wont see those things that werent there before till god says we are ready.

my church is a church of god but im not in full agreement with it. i would be bit closer to messianic judiasm but God has me at that church for his good purpose.

i dont agree with my church on:

healing promises for all christians all the time
(pastor is kind close to my idea of healing but that is a off topic debate)
the idea of pre-trib rapture while the sof says a rapture

Edit: I corrected the spelling because I did not want people to think we were talking about demons. You used demonation and demonational.
ikester7579
  • MamaElephant likes this

#17 rico

rico

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, computers, physics, video games, philosophy, epistomology
  • Christian
  • USA

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

And Christians wonder why atheist doubt us when we have someone who has been healed. Or that salvation changes your life. They see us as we are not as we think we are. fighting among ourselves trying to prove who's right. Why would they even want that? The peace that is promised is not there for them to see.

James talks where some quarrels/disagreements come from and is a quick read;
Here is some
James 3:13-18 KJV:
13 Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.
14 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.
15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.
16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.
17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

In regards to our biblical knowledge (understanding of bible translations) and epistimology in I see this:
1st cor. 1:27-31 KJV
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

So that we don't boast before God and have vain false man centered religion...
How do we know when it's God's voice? This is a question an atheist often asked in a forum as well by an atheist acquantence I haven't spoken to in awhile and seems to be where this thread is headed...

Here is a link to a whole course in PDF format, I haven't read over all of it, yet, but it looks good so far:
Knowing God's Voice HARVESTIME INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE
http://www.amesbible...ngGodsVoice.pdf
  • MamaElephant likes this

#18 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

and it is still spelled wrong. tee hee hee. Anyone want some cimanom in their applesauce? Posted Image

How do we know when it's God's voice?

God will always lead us to more love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, kindness, etc. God will never disagree with His written word. We can protect ourselves from false teachings with the principles of heremeneutics.

#19 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:24 AM

and it is still spelled wrong. tee hee hee. Anyone want some cimanom in their applesauce? Posted Image

God will always lead us to more love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, kindness, etc. God will never disagree with His written word. We can protect ourselves from false teachings with the principles of heremeneutics.

Also what thoughts are not of God can be rebuked in Jesus name and it goes away.

#20 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

Also what thoughts are not of God can be rebuked in Jesus name and it goes away.

I haven't used this as a test, but I have told thoughts to go way in the name of Jesus Christ, and it works really well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users