• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • Interests:Machining, Engine Building, Geology, Paleontology, Fishing
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Springdale,AR.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:05 AM

I would like to start this thread to educate people on how to receive the healing power of Christ. Many christians live a life of faith but are ignorant that, as believers, they have the right and power to be healed and to heal others.

But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. Isaiah 53:5

There are many examples of Jesus healing people (physically and spirtually). Some were done simply to glorify God without any faith or belief on the part of the person being healed.

Jesus found a man tormented by devils who broke his own chains and when Jesus found the man the devil said "I know who you are, you are Jesus son of the most high God" Jesus then asked him his name and he said "We are legion for we are many." Then the devils begged Jesus for mercy and said "Please Lord do not cast us into the abyss, but let us enter into the herd of swine instead."

Although the man himself was not a faithful believer, Jesus took pitty on this man anyway and set him free.

In most cases the power of healing can only come about through personal faith and belief. Why is this so? Even devils believe then tremble with fear. So, it requires more than us just believing that Jesus can heal us, it requires a life transforming rebirth into a total faith in Jesus. If we are of God, then we are a temple of the Holy Spirit and when that spirit is made perfect within us, so is his power.

So I urge everybody who is suffering or knows somebody who is, to take these steps to be healed and to heal others.

Thanks.

#2 Scanman

Scanman

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Christian
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • West Virginia

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:03 PM

I would like to start this thread to educate people on how to receive the healing power of Christ. Many christians live a life of faith but are ignorant that, as believers, they have the right and power to be healed and to heal others.

But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. Isaiah 53:5

There are many examples of Jesus healing people (physically and spirtually). Some were done simply to glorify God without any faith or belief on the part of the person being healed.

Jesus found a man tormented by devils who broke his own chains and when Jesus found the man the devil said "I know who you are, you are Jesus son of the most high God" Jesus then asked him his name and he said "We are legion for we are many." Then the devils begged Jesus for mercy and said "Please Lord do not cast us into the abyss, but let us enter into the herd of swine instead."

Although the man himself was not a faithful believer, Jesus took pitty on this man anyway and set him free.

In most cases the power of healing can only come about through personal faith and belief. Why is this so? Even devils believe then tremble with fear. So, it requires more than us just believing that Jesus can heal us, it requires a life transforming rebirth into a total faith in Jesus. If we are of God, then we are a temple of the Holy Spirit and when that spirit is made perfect within us, so is his power.

So I urge everybody who is suffering or knows somebody who is, to take these steps to be healed and to heal others.
Thanks.

View Post

I understand where you are coming from...

But...

Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.  To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit,  to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit,  to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.

Do all have gifts of healing?

...no.

The gift of healing is entirely at the discretion of God.

I praise God when someone is healed...but there is no secret methodology to obtain healing...you pray for healing, if that is God's plan then you will be healed...if not, then praise God for who he is, do your best with what he has given you, and look forward for liberation in eternity.

The mistake that I think some people make, is that when they have been blessed by God, that they think that there was some particular action on their part that contolled God's decision to bless them....influence, yes... control, no.

The Pharisees thought that the man who was blind from birth was 'steeped in sin', and that he was somehow responsible for his condition.

He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

There is nothing wrong with asking...remember the parable of the persistent widow and the unjust judge...or the guy who needed bread to feed his midnight visitor?

God will answer, but it may not be what you expected...but it will always be his will.

#3 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:54 PM

But...
There is nothing wrong with asking...remember the parable of the persistent widow and the unjust judge...or the guy who needed bread to feed his midnight visitor?

God will answer, but it may not be what you expected...but it will always be his will.

View Post

Great post. The Apostle Paul was not healed from his malady. God does not always heal us. I have a person asking me right now why God not only did not heal infertility, but also did not take the longing for children away.

We also have this in the context of your quoted scriptures: 1 Corinthians 13:8

"Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away."

#4 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2397 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:46 AM

Thanks.

View Post

I have some good Christian friends who are big into the healing gift. I don't discount it, but I also think we have to be very careful with this topic. I have other Christian friends who have been told that the reason they weren't healed is because they did not have enough faith, which is a completely bogus and an unscriptural claim. See Matt 5:45 and Luke 13:4-5.

I also would note that I believe there are some heretical TV preachers that include "healing" in their ministry, such as Benny Hinn and Kenneth Copeland. Their work would be more impressive if they healed amputees, as Christ did on at least one occasion. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to lump the TV frauds with those Christians who believe or may have a gift of healing, some of whom I know and are very sincere in their beliefs, who don't hold to all kinds of other heretical views such as the Hinn & Copeland crowd does.

To me this is similar to speaking in tongues. I also have Christian friends who believe in this doctrine, and though I might disagree with their position on the purpose and status of the gift, it only becomes an issue with me when they claim they are more spiritual than I because of the gift (I believe tongues may now only applicable when a situation warrants speaking in some native tongue for the purposes of spreading the gospel). To claim one is more spiritual because of tongues, which I have been told on more than one occasion, is clearly an unscriptural claim as Paul clearly states at the end of 1 Cor 12 (and further expounds on in 1 Cor 13 & 14).

Fred

#5 Bex

Bex

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, friends/family, animals, health topics, auto/biographies, movies (horror, comedy, drama, whatever, just as long as it's good), music, video games (mainly survival horror, or survival/adventure types), crossword puzzles, books on real life crime/serial killers/etc. Prophecy/miracles/supernatural/hauntings etc, net surfing/forums etc.<br /><br />One of my favourite forums for information on many topics:<br /><br />http://orbisvitae.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • New Zealand

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:06 PM

The value of suffering appears to be lost on so many Christians. Why do so many place so much importance on physical health and finances, rather than the spiritual condition? If we are Christians, then should we expect the "good life" in respect to a lack of suffering? What happened to "Take up your cross and follow Me" (From Jesus?) We are in fact the body of Christ afterall!

Why do so many assume that if a sick/injured person has not received a physical healing, this means either they're out of favour with God, or lack faith? How do they know this? Do they know the will of God in all situations? Do they know whether it is good for that person's soul to receive that particular physical healing? It reminds me of the book of Job and what friends around him were saying to him when he was so greatly afflicted and for so long! They were wrong!

Jesus did indeed heal people that came to Him. But we must remember that after His own suffering and crucifixion - we are shown that there is meaning in suffering and we are reminded of such throughout scripture. So often I hear of a prosperity gospel from a number of evangelists on TV, or seem to feel a great need to justify a luxurious lifestyle and tickle the ears of their listeners/viewers.

But what does it have to do with the real Christ?! Who came to us in poverty, humility and His own life ended in horrific suffering, but He gives us all hope in the ressurrection. People who suffer have hope and should not be made to feel that their sufferings/pains are in vain and that they are that way because of a lack of faith. It is God's business what He allows to come our way and what He will allow to happen, how much, how long and when He will remove it, or simply find for us a way through it or means to put up with it.

The bible on suffering

"THAT I MAY KNOW HIM AND THE POWER OF HIS RESURRECTION AND THE FELLOWSHIP OF
HIS SUFFERINGS, BEING MADE CONFORMABLE TO HIS DEATH; IN ORDER THAT I MAY
ATTAIN TO THE RESURRECTION FROM THE DEAD."
Philippians 3:10 ~~

Since Christ therefore suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves with the same thought… (1 Pt 4:1)
Romans 8:18

For I reckon that the sufferings of this time are not worthy to be compared with the glory to come, that shall be revealed in us.

Phil 1:29 For unto you it is given for Christ, not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him.

Col 1:24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up those things that are wanting of the sufferings of Christ, in my flesh, for his body, which is the church:

2 Corinthians 1:5 For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.

Romans 8:17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs--heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

Matthew 16:24
Then Jesus said to his disciples: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Matthew 10:38 and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

Luke 14:27 And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

John 16:33 These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world.
Acts 14:22 strengthening the disciples and encouraging them to remain true to the faith. "We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God," they said.

2 Corinthians 6:4 Rather, as servants of God we commend ourselves in every way: in great endurance; in troubles, hardships and distresses;

There are many more than this throughout scripture. I think it's important to take note of.

#6 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:17 PM

Bex, do you mind if I print your post out for my friend? It might add to our discussion.

#7 Bex

Bex

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, friends/family, animals, health topics, auto/biographies, movies (horror, comedy, drama, whatever, just as long as it's good), music, video games (mainly survival horror, or survival/adventure types), crossword puzzles, books on real life crime/serial killers/etc. Prophecy/miracles/supernatural/hauntings etc, net surfing/forums etc.<br /><br />One of my favourite forums for information on many topics:<br /><br />http://orbisvitae.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • New Zealand

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:24 AM

Bex, do you mind if I print your post out for my friend? It might add to our discussion.

View Post

Not at all Mama :D Please do, if it'll help in anyway! Being aquainted with the Cross is nothing to be loathed or scoffed at. It can be a powerful means of being increasingly united with Christ and further separated by the things of this world. In fact, it was said:

John 12:25

He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world, keepeth it unto life eternal.

Mark 8:36

For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?

#8 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:30 AM

The reason some people don't get healed, or have the healing touch is because:

God knows us better than we know ourselves. Some of us if we were healed we would soon forget God and live our lives. Others would get healed and later deny God and lose their healing. So to heal would do more harm than good because suffering in Hell is much worse than anything we can imagine here.

Matthew 5:29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

And some who would get the gift to heal are not humble enough to receive it. And would not give God the glory for it. And would corrupt themselves.

jas 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

mt 23:12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

If a person's ego is not in check, power will increase their pride in themselves. For God to give someone this gift that has this problem would be to give a gift that could condemn them in the end. And make them lose all faith because they could not handle what was given to them.

This is what happened to King Saul. He allowed the wisdom God gave him to exalt himself to a point to where he figured his logic and reasoning was better than God's. Soon he was disobeying God. And soon after God quit speaking to Him. King Saul being so caught up in himself, decided he would go outside of God's wisdom and sought after the wisdom of a witch instead. And even through the calling up of the dead he was cursed for what he did and he and his sons died in battle the very next day.

Any gift God gives us also has the ability to corrupt us if our faith is not strong enough. If we truly want it and have the right reasons in our hearts. Then before we are given such gifts we are tested to see if we are ready to receive it.

Always remember, if you pray for a gift always expect a test. if you don't expect the test then you will probably fail it and the end result won't be what you wanted.

#9 Air-run

Air-run

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Creation, Evolution, The Bible, Theology, Art, Video Games
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Seattle, Washington

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:35 AM

But...

"to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit..."

The gift of healing is entirely at the discretion of God.

I praise God when someone is healed...but there is no secret methodology to obtain healing...you pray for healing, if that is God's plan then you will be healed...if not, then praise God for who he is, do your best with what he has given you, and look forward for liberation in eternity.

Your comment on I Corinthians 12:9 doesn't fit the passage. Yes, God gives the gift of healing at his discretion, but what does that have to do with someone getting healed "if it is God's will"?

If someone has the gift of healing then people get healed when they use the gift. If you have the gift you have the grace and empowerment to use it. God may choose someone to have a special healing gift - but after God makes that choice, the person with the gift is a steward of it and has the power to use it under the backing of heaven. We could rightly assume that if the person is fully flowing in this gift that every person he prays for will be healed. God made the choice to give the gift - the backing of heaven is already there - why would God change his mind so that a person isn't healed when the person with the gift uses it. That would be like God taking back the gift in certain situations.

Would you say that Jesus had the gift of healing? I would. Did he ever fail at healing someone? No.

And why would anyone assume that the good type of suffering the Bible talks about should include sickness? There isn't any reason to think so. Back in Jesus day, demons were often cited as the source of sickness. Today, Christians cite God as the source of sickness.

Isn't sickness the result of the fall? If God has redeemed us from the fall, why would he use the consequences of the fall to "teach us a lesson."

This would be like God putting sin or temptation on us to teach us a lesson.

#10 Salsa

Salsa

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • Christian
  • Uppsala, Sweden

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:00 AM

Good points Air, Gods gifts and call are irrevocable. Romans 11:29

#11 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:55 AM

Matthew 17: 14When they came to the crowd, a man came up to Jesus, falling on his knees before Him and saying, 15“Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is a lunatic and is very ill; for he often falls into the fire and often into the water. 16“I brought him to Your disciples, and they could not cure him.” 17And Jesus answered and said, “You unbelieving and perverted generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring him here to Me.” 18And Jesus rebuked him, and the demon came out of him, and the boy was cured at once.

19Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, “Why could we not drive it out?” 20And He said to them, “Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you. 21[“But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.”]

2 Corinthians 12: 7Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me—to keep me from exalting myself! 8Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. 9And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

#12 Air-run

Air-run

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Seattle, Washington

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:22 PM

2 Corinthians 12: 7Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me—to keep me from exalting myself! 8Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. 9And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

That thorn in the flesh topic has been debated. What do you think it means Mama? Do you think it means God gave Paul a sickness?

I've heard that, but I don't believe that.

It seems clear that the thorn was a messenger from Satan, just as it says. It doesn't mean it was a sickness. It could have been a person under the influence of Satan who stirred up trouble against Paul. Think of what Jesus said to Peter when Peter tried to push Jesus out of God's will - "Get behind me Satan." It could have been someone who kept getting in Paul's way, or spread lies about Paul. It seems like that would cause Paul grief and make Paul rely on God more than a sickness. Knowing Paul, he didn't have much regard for his own body. He dealt with beatings and being shipwrecked. I don't think some sickness would deter him, slow him down, or frustrate him. However, we do see Paul get frustrated when people are not acting the way they should, or when they forget what he has already told them. Paul was sold out to ministering to others. No physical discomfort would bring him mental discomfort, but if someone was hindering his work and causing discord or slandering Paul - that would bring him discomfort.

Time and again sickness and sin are linked together. When someone got healed they were also forgiven. These two are both the results of the curse. Can you really see God placing cursed things on someone who has been freed from the curse?

#13 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:29 PM

That thorn in the flesh topic has been debated. What do you think it means Mama? Do you think it means God gave Paul a sickness?

I've heard that, but I don't believe that.

It seems clear that the thorn was a messenger from Satan, just as it says. It doesn't mean it was a sickness. It could have been a person under the influence of Satan who stirred up trouble against Paul. Think of what Jesus said to Peter when Peter tried to push Jesus out of God's will - "Get behind me Satan." It could have been someone who kept getting in Paul's way, or spread lies about Paul. It seems like that would cause Paul grief and make Paul rely on God more than a sickness. Knowing Paul, he didn't have much regard for his own body. He dealt with beatings and being shipwrecked. I don't think some sickness would deter him, slow him down, or frustrate him. However, we do see Paul get frustrated when people are not acting the way they should, or when they forget what he has already told them. Paul was sold out to ministering to others. No physical discomfort would bring him mental discomfort, but if someone was hindering his work and causing discord or slandering Paul - that would bring him discomfort.

I actually agree with that assessment since my recent re-reading of that scripture. Still, like the other scripture that I quoted, it shows that not all prayers are answered.

Time and again sickness and sin are linked together. When someone got healed they were also forgiven. These two are both the results of the curse. Can you really see God placing cursed things on someone who has been freed from the curse?

I am not sure what you are saying here. I am sure that there are Christians who walk in the Spirit yet still get sick.

#14 Air-run

Air-run

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Seattle, Washington

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:51 PM

I actually agree with that assessment since my recent re-reading of that scripture. Still, like the other scripture that I quoted, it shows that not all prayers are answered. I am not sure what you are saying here. I am sure that there are Christians who walk in the Spirit yet still get sick.

The scriptures you quoted showed that if there was a lack of faith the prayers weren't answered. It didn't address whether or not God wants to heal all sickness.

My second statement was only a response to the conjecture that God put a sickness on Paul to humble him. I was just trying to make the point that sickness doesn't come from God. I don't doubt that any Christian can be attacked with sickness.

#15 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:42 AM

The scriptures you quoted showed that if there was a lack of faith the prayers weren't answered.

But look who it was who didn't have enough faith! If those could not drive out any and all demons then should we expect that of ourselves and berate ourselves for a lack of faith if we are not healed?

#16 Air-run

Air-run

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Seattle, Washington

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:11 PM

But look who it was who didn't have enough faith! If those could not drive out any and all demons then should we expect that of ourselves and berate ourselves for a lack of faith if we are not healed?

It's not my place to berate anyone for a lack of faith when healing is not manifested. Still, Jesus reproved disciples and others for a lack of faith. The implication is that if they had faith they would have seen God's works manifested. Since they didn't have the faith, they didn't see the manifestation. It's a simple stunning truth that we won't see all of God's will for us and the world if we are not walking in faith.

As far as the disciples go, they did some great things, but at the time Jesus rebuked them for a lack of faith, they did not have the Holy Spirit in their lives. Jesus told them it was better for him to go so he could send the Holy Spirit. At the time Jesus rebuked their lack of faith, they were not in the "better" time. We are better off than they were at that time because we have the Holy Spirit in us.

#17 jason777

jason777

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • Christian
  • Springdale,AR.

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

Jesus told his disciples "I give you authority over snakes and scorpions", so the disciples went out driving out evil spirits from people who were oppressed by the devil. Once they came upon a person with a demon they could not drive out and they were puzzled. Jesus said it was because they had little faith, but that kind of spirit could only come out through prayer and fasting anyway.

When it comes to healing, there is a need sometimes. I remember a major at the salvation army was scheduled for a tumor to be removed from his colon so we all prayed for a healing, but it did not happen. Since this tumor was not life threatening, in the end it would of only saved the major thousands of dollars instead of saving his life. Like Ikester pointed out, it depends on what we need the healing for.

Enjoy.

#18 jason777

jason777

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • Christian
  • Springdale,AR.

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:21 AM

I have some good Christian friends who are big into the healing gift. I don't discount it, but I also think we have to be very careful with this topic. I have other Christian friends who have been told that the reason they weren't healed is because they did not have enough faith, which is a completely bogus and an unscriptural claim. See Matt 5:45 and Luke 13:4-5.

I also would note that I believe there are some heretical TV preachers that include "healing" in their ministry, such as Benny Hinn and Kenneth Copeland. Their work would be more impressive if they healed amputees, as Christ did on at least one occasion. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to lump the TV frauds with those Christians who believe or may have a gift of healing, some of whom I know and are very sincere in their beliefs, who don't hold to all kinds of other heretical views such as the Hinn & Copeland crowd does.

To me this is similar to speaking in tongues. I also have Christian friends who believe in this doctrine, and though I might disagree with their position on the purpose and status of the gift, it only becomes an issue with me when they claim they are more spiritual than I because of the gift (I believe tongues may now only applicable when a situation warrants speaking in some native tongue for the purposes of spreading the gospel). To claim one is more spiritual because of tongues, which I have been told on more than one occasion, is clearly an unscriptural claim as Paul clearly states at the end of 1 Cor 12 (and further expounds on in 1 Cor 13 & 14).

Fred

I agree. To claim that gifts are spiritual is absurd; It's akin to claiming to be exalted by works. Gifts are given to serve others not exalt ones self.

Enjoy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users