Geode

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Mormon
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:33 PM

You won't like this, but this partly explains why you are in a cult religion. The Mormons also preach to "pray about the Book of Mormon and listen for an answer", because they know enough people will get hairs on the back of their neck that will become a sign to them that the Book of Mormon is true, and they get a new contributor to their cult. While God has spoken audibly to people in the Bible, He has made it clear in the Bible, that the Bible is His mode of communication for us, the source of His truth. Paul called the Bereans noble for searching the scriptures to prove the things he said were true. He didn't ask them to pray to see if it were so, or see if hairs on the back of their neck stand up. :)

Fred

View Post

I personally do not think that either the JWs or the Mormons are cults. but I realize that there are a wide range of opinions on how closely these groups fit any of the usual definitions. Both of them have certainly been guilty of cult-like behavior at various times but they both have grown to a size where secrecy within their ranks is virtually impossible and that influences my opinion.

Yes, the Mormons do exhort people to pray about the Book of Mormon and be open to receiving confirmation that it is as claimed. They call this the promise that the Book of Mormon prophet Moroni made:

Moroni 10:3 - 5

3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.

The usual sign Mormons say to wait for is confirmation by having a "burning in the bosom."

Pro

Con

#102 Geode

Geode

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Mormon
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:50 PM

I'm not going to spell everything out for you when I think you show pretty good knowledge on the subject matter.(It's a subject that you seem to have done a lot of research on.) I was very certain that you knew that Hebrew Scholars interpret six literal days. And again, I could of mentioned James Barr earlier, but I was very certain that you were aware of the Hebrew consensus. I also provided something that Fred didn't, references to Hebrew dictionaries that use "Yom"  in Genesis 1:1-11 as an example for 24 hour days. I gave you a copy and paste because I'm not going to pretend to be a guy who can pull everything out without checking my references first. If I get my information from a reference, I cite it. There is no shame in me appealing to an authority.

I appreciate the potshot that you made at me in one of your other follow up posts, very good sportsmanship. I'll look over your post and make an appropriate response when I am in the mood for a lengthy debate.

And please do not derail the thread by criticizing the way I debate. I'll come back later to make an appropriate response to the rest of your post.

View Post

I would guess that what each of us considers a potshot will be different, as I think you have taken a couple at me. I am not aware that I have made any.

It will make debate easier if you reply to my actual posts and not make just a generalized reply to the thread. When threads get very long it is unclear who you are replying to, which was the case with this, your last post. I opened it to see what your latest contribution to the thread might be, and found it was a reply to me.

#103 Spectre

Spectre

Philosopher

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Pensacola, FL

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:01 AM

I would guess that what each of us considers a potshot will be different, as I think you have taken a couple at me. I am not aware that I have made any.

It will make debate easier if you reply to my actual posts and not make just a generalized reply to the thread. When threads get very long it is unclear who you are replying to, which was the case with this, your last post. I opened it to see what your latest contribution to the thread might be, and found it was a reply to me.

View Post

If you feel that I have taken potshots at you I apologize. I don't really recall making any towards you. You appear to be the only person in this thread who has an issue with my posts however. But don't worry, my reply to the rest of your post will not disappoint. It's just a little late at night to do that much work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users