• PipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • Interests:Machining, Engine Building, Geology, Paleontology, Fishing
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Springdale,AR.

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:23 PM

Hi Guys,

I thought I would share a couple of pics. of newest project. I got it painted last week and I finished welding up the custom exaust today. Now I'm working on the interior. I put on a brand new Grant three spoke chrome steering wheel and a 8 ball shifter knob. Nothing like classic old school IMO.

Nothing high performance about the truck. I never drive over 60 M.P.H. so, a stock 305 is fine with me. It has a granny four speed trans. and a brand new positive track rear end.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Enjoy.

#2 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1718 posts
  • Interests:Information theory, electronics, videography, writing, human psychology, psychotherapy
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Detroit Michigan area

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:07 PM

Sweet or as we used to say up Norh, cherry.

I used to work for GMC ifor their CK Tuck division. I bought a used one of these and had to put a set of heads on it after it overheated. I had the heads checked and both were cracked. I didn't get any core value out of them.

I put the engine back together without checjing the cam. It ran really badly. I put it on a scope and couldn't see any problem with the electrical. I checked out the carb and everything was ok. As I recal I did a cylinder percentage leak down test. Everything was ok there. So based on a power blance test, I figured the cam shaft had probably got damaged as they seemed to be made of "soft".steel. That's what some fellow mechanics said.

Well, after taking the heads off again I used a michrometer to chech the cam. Several of the lobes were way off. I put new lifters and push roods in along with a new cam. To get the cam out without removing the engine I had to cut a piece of non supporive bracing in front of the radiator. Sure enough it ran fine after the new cam. I din't bother doing the bottom end.

#3 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

Hi Guys,

I thought I would share a couple of pics. of newest project. I got it painted last week and I finished welding up the custom exaust today. Now I'm working on the interior. I put on a brand new Grant three spoke chrome steering wheel and a 8 ball shifter knob. Nothing like classic old school IMO.

Nothing high performance about the truck. I never drive over 60 M.P.H. so, a stock 305 is fine with me. It has a granny four speed trans. and a brand new positive track rear end.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Enjoy.

View Post

Sweet Step-Side :)
What year is it?

#4 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

Oops... Never-mind, I just saw the year model on the title of the thread. :)

#5 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:45 PM

If I could still work on cars, I'd probably have a project. I'm jealous :).

#6 jason777

jason777

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • Christian
  • Springdale,AR.

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:33 PM

Thanks guys,

I just sanded and painted the door panels today. They cost ~$150.00 for new ones and the paint only cost $6.00.

Next I'm going to build a custom radiator bracket. The radiator that came with the engine is off of a chevy van. Then. I'm going to get an AC belt and see if the compressor is any good or not.

Thanks.

#7 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1718 posts
  • Interests:Information theory, electronics, videography, writing, human psychology, psychotherapy
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Detroit Michigan area

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:28 PM

Hi Jason

Did you you just buy skins or did you replace whole doors? Did you use lacquer or enamel?

If you know what you are doing working on an a/c system ignore the rest of this post.

Remember to jump out the low pressure cut out switch to see if the clutch on the compressor will engage the compressor if the system is out of refrigerant. Smf sfter putting a drive belt on.

One thing to check the orifice tube. I think in 1984 they used a cycling clutch type system, If the system has been open, you may want to change the receiver dryer (that big silver thing near the evaporator). It’s always a good idea to do this. If the desicnat bag breaks the orifice will be plugged with desiccant.

Also it’s a good thing to check the condenser for leaks--given away by oily spots and dirt accumulation generally on the lower portion of the unit.. Once you have the system together use a micron vacuum gage and pull a vacuum to 500 microns or as close as possible. See of the system can hold a vacuum overnight. If not you have a leak.

O rings and any connection joints would be the first place to check. Checking for leaks without fluorescent die and a black light can be a nightmare. Bubbles in hoses may mean a leak. Break the vacuum with dry nitrogen. Vent the nitrogen. pull a vacuum two times and breal it with dry nitirigen. This wiil insure the system is dry. The final time break the vacuum with a meadsure quantity of refrigerant specified for the system—more is not better. You have a choice of refrigerants to replace the r12.

In the south when GM first went to 134 we had lots of complaints that the newer systems didn’t cool as well as older systems. 134 as a blended refrigerant has a tendency to fracture (separate) So, it really should go in on the liquid side as a liquid and not a gas—although they do make an attachment that allows liquid to change to a gas via an orifice.

GM eventually went to bigger evaporators because of the decrease in BTU removal capacity of 134.. Also remember to change the oil in the system if need be to accommodate newer type refrigerants.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I will gladly share as much as I know If you know more than me, well that’s fine too.

#8 jason777

jason777

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • Christian
  • Springdale,AR.

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:43 PM

Did you you just buy skins or did you replace whole doors? Did you use lacquer or enamel?

I removed the panels on the inside of the doors and repainted them. I used enamel paint and acrylic clear coat I think.

If you know what you are doing working on an a/c system ignore the rest of this post.

Thanks for the info. it will come in handy.

#9 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:57 AM

If you want power and better gas millage. There are some spark plugs you can get here: http://www.pulstarpu...CFYhM2godwzjfEg

The neat thing about these plugs is that what you would find makes a high performance ignition work is in the plug. So no special wires or coil to buy. They have a built in capacitor that takes the energy from the coil and builds it to one big short burst instead of a small long one. I have done a lot of ignition research and studied ignition theory. And through the years even tested them by installing on my vehicles. Most were good at the beginning but always ran into the problem of voltage bleed over from the coil or the wires. Which ended up in replacement.

These are the only plugs I can see that would make a difference and would be worth the cost. And because the power is made inside the plug, and not at the coil, voltage bleed over is eliminated from the coil or the wires. So you can use cheep wires and a stock coil.

When my van needs a tune up next time, I will be getting these plugs. I'd like to see how these plugs work on one of those hybrids.

#10 Spectre

Spectre

Philosopher

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Pensacola, FL

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:56 PM

Nice truck, looks like it could be new if it was still 1984. :o

#11 jason777

jason777

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • Christian
  • Springdale,AR.

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:59 AM

If you want power and better gas millage. There are some spark plugs you can get here: http://www.pulstarpu...CFYhM2godwzjfEg

The neat thing about these plugs is that what you would find makes a high performance ignition work is in the plug. So no special wires or coil to buy. They have a built in capacitor that takes the energy from the coil and builds it to one big short burst instead of a small long one.  I have done a lot of ignition research and studied ignition theory. And through the years even tested them by installing on my vehicles. Most were good at the beginning but always ran into the problem of voltage bleed over from the coil or the wires. Which ended up in replacement.

These are the only plugs I can see that would make a difference and would be worth the cost. And because the power is made inside the plug, and not at the coil, voltage bleed over is eliminated from the coil or the wires. So you can use cheep wires and a stock coil.

When my van needs a tune up next time, I will be getting these plugs. I'd like to see how these plugs work on one of those hybrids.

View Post

That looks interesting. Would the copper plugs work as good as the platinum or iridium?

I got a lot more done on the project than I thought I could.

I installed a brand new Edlebrock dual plane high rise intake and MSD street fire distributor.

Posted Image

And I'm 95% complete with restoring the bed.

Posted Image

I bought cheap white wood from lowes. I'll need to sand it again before I clear coat it, but it will look great afterwords for a fraction of the price of the wood bed kit online.

Enjoy.

#12 jason777

jason777

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • Christian
  • Springdale,AR.

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:27 PM

Here is an interior shot for you.

Posted Image

#13 jason777

jason777

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • Christian
  • Springdale,AR.

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:16 AM

Alright, Guys.

Time for an update. I bought an old 350 engine that was completely disassembled for $50. I ran the casting number (3970010) and it turns out that Chevy made three versions with this block (302,327,and 350 c.i.). So, I have decided to buy a different crankshaft and build it into a 327 c.i. instead of 350 c.i. The shorter stroke 327 was put in the '69 Camaro; It won't have as much top end horse power as the 350 version put in trucks, but it will yield quicker RPMs and get me up to speed faster.

In all the decades that this engine has been running, it had very little wear in the cylinders. The ridge was so slight that you could just barely catch your finger nail on it in most places. The blocks back then were much heavier and stronger than the '80's blocks that were made in later generations. I was going to build it the way it was, but a local shop said they would bore out new cylinders for me for $80, so I couldn't pass up the price.

The engine came with stock 882 cylinder heads that are solid cast iron and have massive valves in them (2.02"). Dirt dobber nests were included free of charge. :lol:

Posted Image

Tools for cleaning the cylinder heads.

Posted Image

Closeup of carbon buildup.

Posted Image

Here is one of the heads after cleaning. I put a quarter on top of one of the valves so you can see how big they are.

Posted Image

#14 supamk3speed

supamk3speed

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Texas

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

Nice truck, nice to see there are some car people on here!

#15 jason777

jason777

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • Christian
  • Springdale,AR.

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:36 AM

I got my block and heads back from the shop today. The heads were rebuilt ($200.00).

Posted Image

Nice, eh?

The block was bored .040 over ($85.00) and they did a excellent job honing the cylinders.

Posted Image

Enjoy.

#16 jason777

jason777

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • Christian
  • Springdale,AR.

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:29 AM

Got my crank back from the shop today. It was reground ($80.00).

Posted Image

I could of got a 327 crank for $165, but the crank I have was only half the price to grind. Economics (or greed) wins the final C.I. displacement. :P

All of the machine work is now complete. All I need to do now is some finish cleaning and custom painting on the block and buy the rebuild kit and start the assembly.

Enjoy.

#17 jason777

jason777

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • Christian
  • Springdale,AR.

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

I bought a set of new tires. I bought them online and had them shipped for not much more than the local shops wanted for just one pair.

Posted Image

I also found a really cool 355 decal on E Bay.

Posted Image

Enjoy.

#18 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

hmm. nice to do project cars. if i had the time to do those things. i have some time but just enought to fix the cars i have and not enough money.lol.

#19 jason777

jason777

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • Christian
  • Springdale,AR.

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:54 PM

hmm. nice to do project cars. if i had the time to do those things. i have some time but just enought to fix the cars i have and not enough money.lol.

Fortunately, my project is my only vehicle, so working on it is not an option. I'm tired of paying too much for an average vehicle that will never have a resale value anywhere near what I paid for it. This time I'm either driving a nice ride or making money. B)

#20 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:05 PM

Fortunately, my project is my only vehicle, so working on it is not an option. I'm tired of paying too much for an average vehicle that will never have a resale value anywhere near what I paid for it. This time I'm either driving a nice ride or making money. B)

i know that feeling, i have dropped some change into both my trucks. 700 usd for ac work that i did myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users