• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Creation, Evolution, The Bible, Theology, Art, Video Games
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Seattle, Washington

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:36 AM

At 34 I just started back to school to study biology - with perhaps an eventual genetics focus.

I found it interesting how quickly the text and the teacher discuss and dismiss "religious ideas."

So far, I've gotten a few chuckles from my bio book. Here are some fun clips:

Science helps us be objective because of its limitations. For example, science does not address many questions such as "Why do I exist?" Answers to such questions can only come from within as an integration of the personal experiences and mental connections that shape our consciousness.

Posted Image First they say that science can't answer larger metaphysical questions. But in the very next sentence they give us a scientifically exact formula for how to answer those same questions. If science can't speak to those issues, why should I listen to you when you open your mouth about them?

As Galileo's story illustrates, exploring a traditional view (read religiously based view) of the natural world from a scientific perspective is often misinterpreted as a violation of morality. As a group, scientists are no less moral than anyone else.

Posted Image Scientists are no less moral than anyone else? Is that a scientific fact? Or an emotional plea? If that hypothesis were actually tested, maybe they would be found to be very immoral. I can't say for sure - but I can say for sure that the authors have no basis for making such a claim. Even the poster-children of scientific achievement - Watson and Crick - are known to have immorally plagiarized some of their data.

#2 Bonedigger

Bonedigger

Admin Team

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • Interests:Creation, Vertebrate Paleontology-particularly mammals and especially Perissodactyls & Carnivores, Hunting, Shooting, Handloading, Weaving Chainmaille, Hebrew and other Biblically relevant languages, Astronomy
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Colorado

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

Just curious. Which textbook are you using?

#3 JayShel

JayShel

Former Atheist

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Saved July 12, 2007

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

Wow that reminds me of this sweet little gem I dug up, and am slowly but surely exposing as the propaganda that it is: http://evolutionfair...=&fromsearch=1

It's so dense with unfounded claims, logical fallacies, assumptions, wishful thinking, and flat out lies!

#4 Air-run

Air-run

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Creation, Evolution, The Bible, Theology, Art, Video Games
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Seattle, Washington

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

Just curious. Which textbook are you using?

General Biology by Cecie Starr et al. 2013 edition

#5 Portillo

Portillo

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Sydney

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:03 AM

Does it still have Haeckels embryos?
  • gilbo12345 likes this

#6 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5793 posts
  • Interests:Completed BBiotech (Honours)

Currently studying Masters of Teaching.

Enjoys games of tactics and strategy.
  • (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

Does it still have Haeckels embryos?

Possibly, mine did... Though they admit he was a fraud, but then still claim that its a good example of what evolution would do, (or something along those lines)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users