• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Pseudo Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:17 PM

I have swirling in my mind an unthought out thought
is it possible that ancient scribes used this as a kind of security check?

View Post

Great question. There was already a validation method used by the scribes. See my brief chapter on Bible Transmission:

http://www.bibleevid...ransmission.htm

Fred

#22 RobotArchie

RobotArchie

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • London, UK

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:29 PM

I have a feeling that this is a device of the priestly 'scribal' codex - a late addition beyond the oral tradition to more easily guage standards of reproductive 'faith' in written text - perhaps akin to the modern markers within for example ZIP encoding in the redaction of data via the Cyclic Redundancy Checksum mechanism.

IMHO the reason we find most of the texts that we have are that they are found not in so much in 'libraries' in the dignified sense of collections of wisdom as the school garbage tips of ancient times where comparison of the texts reveal errors in copying amongst students of literacy......

The point of interest to me is not in the 'inherent truth' (which perhaps can never be truly known) within the efficacy of such measures but in the resultant preservation of (some) of the actual sources for the texts themselves - ie clues to the identification of the authors, sources and editors themselves

This is one of the several backfiring mechanisms by which science can detect that the Bible is *NOT* the word of God, but the work of men.......... style will out

#23 the totton linnet

the totton linnet

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Friends, fellowship, stuff
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Winchester, Hampshire

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

Great question. There was already a validation method used by the scribes. See my brief chapter on Bible Transmission:

http://www.bibleevid...ransmission.htm

Fred

View Post

I read with interest Fred, of course another point that is forgotten perhaps the most important regarding transmission of the old testament is that it's conservation was a matter of religion and not just scholarship among the Jews, any addition to or taking away from the message [and this applys just as much to oral transmission although I don't accept there was of neccessity a time when the revelation of God was soley a matter of oral transmission] but any alteration was regarded as profanity.
I do not believe either that there was a period in church history when the gospels were passed on only by word of mouth. Jesus was always surrounded by scribes and they were not all opposed to him.
St. Luke states very clearly how his gospel was written, he says in verse one "Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile a narrative of the things that have been accomplished among us just [exactly] as they were delivered to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word."
Mark we are sure is St Peters account, Luke and Matthew show ample sign that they drew upon a common source all the early doubts and criticisms of the 19th century scholars have been swept aside regarding their authorship and date of writing. Only John's gospel is still disputed [not among believers] among the scholars as to date and authorship and their only question is how could John, a fisherman, have had access or been privy to what went on among the sandhedrin and among the chief priests, on the basis of this alone they cast doubt upon the authorship of John the apostle.
But they forget all about Nicodemus who was very high up in the priestly caste and a teacher and secretly a follower of Christ, who was stood by the cross when he obtained permission to take down the Lord's body but John the apostle, can't tell me they didn't become life-long friends bonded together by grief.
Of course the Great Witness to the authenticity of God's word as it has been transmitted down the centuries is God Himself. whether Augustine in the 4th century or Wycliffe in the 12th Luther in the 16th, Bunyan, the Wesleys down to little ol' me we have proved it true by doing what it tells us to do i.e repent we have proved, countless millions have proved, regardless of s@x, culture, nationality or scholarship we have all recieved the washing away of sins and the new life full of joy and full of glory. We all say with a united voice this word is true and we are witnesses. I'll pop by again your page, I like that stuff :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users