• no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Melbourne

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:55 AM

This is huge news, but just be careful as its still early days:

'Noah's Ark' is found up a mountain
  28/04/2010

ARCHAEOLOGY

The remains of Noah's Ark have been discovered 12,000ft up a Turkish mountain, it has been claimed.

A group of Chinese and Turkish evangelical explorers say carbon testing on rope and wood found on Mount Ararat shows they are 4,800 years old - dating from around the time when the ark was said to be afloat.

Fifteen archaeologists collected remains from what they believe were stalls on the ark for housing animals.

Yeung Wing-cheung, of the Hong Kong-based Noah's Ark Ministries International, said: "It's not 100% that it is Noah's Ark but we think it's 99.9%."

But early indications show the wood is different to that used in the ark in the Bible.

Noah's Ark is found in Christian, Muslim and Jewish texts. But scientific evidence of it has yet to be found.

http://www.mirror.co...15875-22217374/

#2 OneHourPhoto

OneHourPhoto

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Melbourne

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:07 AM

I find the title of this one to be a bit misleading as it uses the term "scientists discover" and I don't think they were scientists, but I could be wrong.

Scientists discover wooden structure believed to be Noah's Ark

A Chinese explorer inside one of the wooden structures on Mt. Ararat. Credit: Noah's Ark Ministries International.Related articles:
Biblical Autographs
Biblical Book Names & Abbreviations
Sunday
Sunday
Ankara, Turkey, Apr 28, 2010 / 01:05 am (CNA/EWTN News).- A Chinese-Turkish exploration team reported on Sunday that they have discovered a wooden structure on the top of Mt. Ararat in Turkey which they believe to be the biblical Noah's Ark.

“The search team has made the greatest discovery in history. This finding is very important and the greatest up to now,” said a team archaeologist, Prof. Oktay Belli, in an April 25 press conference.  Although many “people have searched the mountain for the holy Ark,” he added, this recent discovery “is the first serious search (and) that the team found a wood structure under ice.”

Noah's Ark Ministries International (NAMI) reported earlier this week that after a nearly two year expedition involving difficult weather and treacherous conditions, the team discovered a broken up wood structure with seven spaces, containing wood fragments from over 4,800 years ago. According to the Bible, after the earth was flooded and the waters receded, Noah's ark ran aground on a mountain, which many believe to be Mt. Ararat – the highest point in the region.

Team member Panda Lee recalled on Sunday that in October 2008, “I climbed the mountain with the Turkish team. At an elevation of more than 4,000 meters (13,123 feet), I saw a structure built with plank-like timber. Each plank was about 8 inches wide. I could see tenons, proof of ancient construction predating the use of metal nails.”

“We walked about 100 meters to another site,” she added. “I could see broken wood fragments embedded in a glacier, and some 20 meters long. I surveyed the landscape and found that the wooden structure was permanently covered by ice and volcanic rocks.”

The structure contains compartments with wooden beams that the team believes housed animals. Dismissing arguments that the structure could be a human settlement, the archeologists explained that none have ever been found above 11,000 feet in the region, Fox News reported on Tuesday.

Dr. Ahmet Özbek, a Turkish geologist, explained how the region's climate helped preserve the structure for thousands years without decaying or becoming petrified.

“In present days, the permanent snow line on Mt. Ararat is 3,900 meters (12,800 feet). The wood structure was found higher than 4,000 meters,” he said, adding that  the low temperature and environmental condition of glacier deposits and volcanic material helped the preservation. He also explained that the wood material was able to carry loads up to 5 times its weight, which enabled the structure to bear a considerable amount without breaking into pieces.

Turkish government officials thanked the evangelical search team for their efforts and pledged their help in furthering NAMI's scientific research on the discovery. The officials will also ask the central government in Ankara to apply for UNESCO World Heritage status to protect the site during the archeological dig.

“For more than 2,000 years, historical and eyewitnesses accounts tell us that there is an ancient boat on Mt. Ararat which survived a great flood and landed on the mountain,” said Muhsin Bulut, Cultural Ministries Director of Agri Province, at the press conference Sunday. “People believed that it is Noah’s Ark. I believe the team has finally located this ancient boat and I believe it is Noah’s Ark.”

http://www.catholicn...o_be_noahs_ark/

#3 OneHourPhoto

OneHourPhoto

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Melbourne

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:16 AM

Has Noah's Ark been discovered on a Turkish mountain?

By Claire McNeilly
Wednesday, 28 April 2010

Seeing definitely is believing for a group of 15 religious explorers who claim to have uncovered a jaw-dropping glimpse into biblical times.

And, following the discovery of seven large wooden compartments on Mount Ararat in eastern Turkey, it’s being argued that the quest to find remnants of ancient history’s most famous ship could now be over.

Apparently, the legendary Ark that housed Noah, his family and a menagerie of creatures during a global flood some 4,800 years ago, has finally docked.

“It's not 100% that it is Noah's Ark — but we think it is 99.9% that this is it,” said Yeung Wing-cheung, a filmmaker working with the team of fundamentalist Christians exploring the mountainside.

They claim that wood taken from the site, which is more than 13,000ft above sea level, dates to 2,800BC — around the same time that Noah was believed to have built such a vessel.

And they stressed the structure they located in October on Ararat — the biblical resting place of the Ark — does have areas that would be perfect for housing animals.

If indeed it is the Ark, the discovery would undoubtedly be the greatest coup in the history of archaeology — not to mention an affirmation of one of the most famous stories in the Bible.

In Genesis, the first book in the Old Testament, God tells Noah to build a boat that would be longer than a modern-day football field and more than three stories high.

Animals were subsequently sent in, two by two, to seek shelter in the ship alongside Noah and his family and ride out the flood sent to punish sinners.

The story was widely regarded as fact until the 19th century, when scientists began to question the evidence for a worldwide flood. But during a press conference held yesterday to announce the Ark’s discovery, the team claimed it was the real deal.

A video shown by the explorers — who are keeping the exact location of the find secret — also revealed a structure with compartments, doors, staircases and nails.

Four years ago, after a decade of research, American national security analyst Porcher Taylor claimed a satellite image revealed a baffling ‘anomaly' on the mountain's north-west corner that he believed to be the remains of the Ark.

However, Mike Pitt, a British archaeologist, said the evangelical explorers had yet to produce compelling evidence.

“If there had been a flood capable of lifting a huge ship 4km up the side of a mountain 4,800 years ago, I think there would be substantial geological evidence for this flood around the world — and there isn't,” he said.

Nicholas Purcell, a lecturer in ancient history at Oxford University, said the claims were the ‘usual nonsense'. He added: “If floodwaters covered Eurasia 12,000ft deep in 2,800BC, how did the complex societies of Egypt and Mesopotamia, already many centuries old, keep right on regardless?”

Background

The story of Noah's Ark appears in chapters six to nine of the Book of Genesis.

It tells how God, spurred by the wickedness and corruption of man, vows to send a great cleansing flood. Deeming Noah to be the only righteous man worth saving, God commands him to build a vast ship, the ark - for himself, his family and a representation of the world's animals.

When Noah has completed his task, and God has sent ‘two of every sort' of animal to the Ark, the flood waters rise until all life (except fish) is destroyed. When the flood subsides, God vows to never again send a flood to destroy man.

http://www.belfastte...n-14783490.html

#4 OneHourPhoto

OneHourPhoto

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Melbourne

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:26 AM

Video and images on NineMSN:

http://news.ninemsn....-9-percent-sure

Will be extremely interesting when they do an archaeological dig, hopefully it is started this year and not held up by the usual government red tape.

#5 OneHourPhoto

OneHourPhoto

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Melbourne

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:33 AM

Detailed YouTube video:

AGIUfWXvwJI

#6 OneHourPhoto

OneHourPhoto

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Melbourne

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:33 AM

Does anyone know much about wood preservation in those kind of conditions; that is subzero conditions, I know the cold can preseve a lot of things, but wouldn't the timber suffer from possible dry rot?

#7 OneHourPhoto

OneHourPhoto

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Melbourne

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:40 AM

This is the official website of the expedition:

http://www.noahsarksearch.net/eng/

#8 Guest_Eocene_*

Guest_Eocene_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:26 PM

Does anyone know much about wood preservation in those kind of conditions; that is subzero conditions, I know the cold can preseve a lot of things, but wouldn't the timber suffer from possible dry rot?

View Post

It's a shame no one's answered your thread questions.

Actually because of Global Warming in both the Arctic and Antarctic almost perfectly preserved trees, stumps, forest floor liter (massive amount of it - branches, cones, leaves, needles, twigs, etc) and out right huge burried logs have been found. The wood is NOT fossilized, it's real and still burns with fire. One estimate in one valley on a Canadian island is that over 10,000 trees are buried there in the ground. The largest stump found was over three meters in diameter and the largest log was close to 28 meters long. This area is exactly 1,110 kilometers north of the arctic circle. In both Arctic and Antarctic finds, the reasons given for the extinction is a massive mega-sunami that wipe everything out and changed the climate permanently as we have it today. If you've ever seen photos of the Mt Saint Helens explosion which snapped massive trees like match sticks, then this mega-sunami is described as many times more powerful because it snapped off logs of every tree and buried instantly with mud and debri and flash froze them in time, much like the woolly mammoths who still had lilies and grasses in their mouths

Mt. Saint Helens in Washington

Dead Trees wiped out on Mount St Helens

[B]On the pic above, notice the two men at the bottom right hand corner to give an idea as to the scale. Undertand also that the trees snapped off like twigs in the arctic location were ancient redwood trees. Meta-Sequoia to be exact which were thought to be extinct because they had only been previously found in fossil areas of North Dakota and other regions, but found once again alive in China after WWII. This type of redwood is deciduous.

Mt st Helens Johnston ridge 25 years later

In fact in the Arctic islands near northern Greenland they even found an entire beaver dam preserved and the skeletal ramins of a beaver. The wood and large braches used in the beaver dam construction had all the characteristic edge markings of the beaver's teeth cuttings. They even found the remains of a crocodile in the buried pond.

What they can do are Oxygen isotope studies to reveal what the climate was like when these trees were living. So that supposedly old wood should reveal the same. But I'm skeptical of if the whole thing is true anyway. They said they dated the wood around 4,800 years old, but that's around the biblical dating of the deluge. The trees would have been old growth forest trees and at least a couple thousand years older than that. I believe they could if they really wanted to is take the wood to a reputable research lab, stay there with the experiments and testing to make sure no fraud takes place and have a verification from an outside source. But unfortunately with the distrust and bias on both sides, it's really hard to say if any real truth will come out of this in the end.

#9 Guest_Eocene_*

Guest_Eocene_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:29 AM

I find the title of this one to be a bit misleading as it uses the term "scientists discover" and I don't think they were scientists, but I could be wrong.
http://www.catholicn...o_be_noahs_ark/

View Post

Well I took the liberty of looking up some of the indiviuals quoted in your link and this Prof. Oktay Belli appears to be a researcher/scientist from the country of Turkey. He may be found at website istanbul.edu for what that is worth.

Prof Oktay Belli

Another individual who is quoted is a Dr. Ahmet Özbek, a Turkish geologist. He apparently works with some Geology Institute or University in Turkey and I've found his name associated here.

Dr. Ahmet Özbek, a Turkish geologist

I have no idea who that Panda Lee is other than the article mentions her as a tem member.

The individual named Yeung Wing-Cheung is merely a a Hong Kong documentary filmmaker. They are bringing in the well known Dutch Ark researcher Gerrit Aalten, head of NoahsArkSearch.com, but the only problem I'd have with him is his vision of what the Ark looked like and the embellished and exagerated model he presents to the public. They just showed this on the television media here. Here's what a Dutch contractor built and this is typical of the sensationalism with regard the storybook version presented to people throughout history

Posted Image

Unfortunately for the Hollywood storybook version, the Ark didn't have to sail anywhere, it simply was needed for survival. The dimentions and instructions give in the biblical account are for a structure that would be more stable and not tip over as the storybook version would in a violent sea.

What Was the Hull Shape of Noah’s Ark?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 OneHourPhoto

OneHourPhoto

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Melbourne

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:45 AM

It's a shame no one's answered your thread questions.

Actually because of Global Warming in both the Arctic and Antarctic almost perfectly preserved trees, stumps, forest floor liter (massive amount of it - branches, cones, leaves, needles, twigs, etc) and out right huge burried logs have been found. The wood is NOT fossilized, it's real and still burns with fire. One estimate in one valley on a Canadian island is that over 10,000 trees are buried there in the ground. The largest stump found was over three meters in diameter and the largest log was close to 28 meters long. This area is exactly 1,110 kilometers north of the arctic circle. In both Arctic and Antarctic finds, the reasons given for the extinction is a massive mega-sunami that wipe everything out and changed the climate permanently as we have it today. If you've ever seen photos of the Mt Saint Helens explosion which snapped massive trees like match sticks, then this mega-sunami is described as many times more powerful because it snapped off logs of every tree and buried instantly with mud and debri and flash froze them in time, much like the woolly mammoths who still had lilies and grasses in their mouths
Mt. Saint Helens in Washington
Dead Trees wiped out on Mount St Helens

On the pic above, notice the two men at the bottom right hand corner to give an idea as to the scale. Undertand also that the trees snapped off like twigs in the arctic location were ancient redwood trees. Meta-Sequoia to be exact which were thought to be extinct because they had onlt been previously found in fossil areas of North Dakota and other regions, but found once again alive in China after WWII. This type of redwood is deciduous.
Mt st Helens Johnston ridge 25 years later

In fact in the Arctic islands near northern Greenland they even found an entire beaver dam preserved and the skeletal ramins of a beaver. The wood and large braches used in the beaver dam construction had all the characteristic edge markings of the beaver's teeth cuttings. They even found the remains of a crocodile in the buried pond.

What they can do are Oxygen isotope studies to reveal what the climate was like when these trees were living. So that supposedly old wood should reveal the same. But I'm skeptical of if the whole thing is true anyway. They said they dated the wood around 4,800 years old, but that's around the biblical dating of the deluge. The trees would have been old growth forest trees and at least a couple thousand years older than that. I believe they could if they really wanted to is take the wood to a reputable research lab, stay there with the experiments and testing to make sure no fraud takes place and have a verification from an outside source. But unfortunately with the distrust and bias on both sides, it's really hard to say if any real truth will come out of this in the end.

View Post

Thanks for the info. That Tsunami must have been truly enournmous, the scale of which would be incredible, looking at those trees and the girth of them (in comparision to the people at the bottom) it must have been enourmous and powerful.
Reminds me of the massive wave that struck Lituya Bay in Alaska after a big landslide.

#11 OneHourPhoto

OneHourPhoto

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Melbourne

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:54 AM

Well I took the liberty of looking up some of the indiviuals quoted in your link and this Prof. Oktay Belli appears to be a researcher/scientist from the country of Turkey. He may be found at website istanbul.edu for what that is worth.

Prof Oktay Belli

Another individual who is quoted is a Dr. Ahmet Özbek, a Turkish geologist. He apparently works with some Geology Institute or University in Turkey and I've found his name associated here.

Dr. Ahmet Özbek, a Turkish geologist
I have no idea who that Panda Lee is other than the article mentions her as a tem member.
The individual named Yeung Wing-Cheung is merely a a Hong Kong documentary filmmaker. They are bringing in the well known Dutch Ark researcher Gerrit Aalten, head of NoahsArkSearch.com, but the only problem I'd have with him is his vision of what the Ark looked like and the embellished and exagerated model he presents to the public. They just showed this on the television media here. Here's what a Dutch contractor built and this is typical of the sensationalism with regard the storybook version presented to people throughout history

Posted Image
Unfortunately for the Hollywood storybook version, the Ark didn't have to sail anywhere, it simply was needed for survival. The dimentions and instructions give in the biblical account are for a structure that would be more stable and not tip over as the storybook version would in a violent sea.

What Was the Hull Shape of Noah’s Ark?

Posted Image
Posted Image

View Post

My worries, thanks for the info, guess there was scientists involved with the expedition, the headline was right.

Interesting on those Noah's Ark boats, the first one is very grandiose in design!

#12 Guest_Eocene_*

Guest_Eocene_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:37 AM

Thanks for the info. That Tsunami must have been truly enournmous, the scale of which would be incredible, looking at those trees and the girth of them (in comparision to the people at the bottom) it must have been enourmous and powerful.
Reminds me of the massive wave that struck Lituya Bay in Alaska after a big landslide.

View Post

Do you know what is even more interesting is that I have never found anywhere, where any Christian organization is even remotely discussing this find anywhere. There have been some small references , but people spend so much time looking for proofs of a worldwide flood that they never think to reason and meditate intelligently on the mechanisms that were actually used in bringing it about i the first place, yet it is all tied together by that ancient hydrological water cycle. <_<

For the moment I've got schedules to create for the next couple of months, but I'll type up some links here of several photos of these mummified trees frozen in time. B)

#13 Guest_Eocene_*

Guest_Eocene_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:46 PM

View Post

Okay, here are a series of photos of the trees found on Axel Heiberg island and Ellsmere island in the northern Canadian archepelago touching northern Greenland. I believe the first tree stumps were actually found in 1985, but serious research really didn't start until very late 190s and early 2000s. T&he stumps are found exactly where they grew out of the ground with all the root base intact throughout the soil.

Posted Image

Eocene Meridional Weather Patterns Reflected in Oxygen Isotopes of Arctic Fossil Wood

Mummified Tree Stump - Buchanan Lake formation

Fossil Remains of Axel Heiberg Island, Walnuts

Deep Time Northern Studies of climate change

I've actually got a bunch of photos, but their on another browser 'Opera' and for whatever reason i can't access it right now, but there's enough info to keep it interesting. B)

#14 OneHourPhoto

OneHourPhoto

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Melbourne

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:01 AM

Looks very interesting. In Western Australia they have the petrified forest, which have turned solid like stone.

#15 Guest_Eocene_*

Guest_Eocene_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:58 AM

Looks very interesting. In Western Australia they have the petrified forest, which have turned solid like stone.

View Post

Actually did you know the trees they found in the Antarctic were many of the same existing varieties which are common to both Australia and New Zealand today ? The fascinating thing is that in both regions of the north and south poles, they have discovered from the Oxygen isotope studies conducted for climate research is that the temperature never got below 14c in winter time. The tree ring data never had any cell growth damage from oncoming fall/winter frosts. In modern tree rings, there is a marked slowed down growth with darker discolouration of the ring with the oncoming of season change marked by frosts. With these ancient trees, what triggered the stopping of growth was light or lack of. They said it was like reading an On & Off light switch because the rings were that precise.

The Antarctic was also evidence by a Mega-Sunami event which wiped out all life and changed that climate forever. When I get more time I'll send a weather forum link from Australia which discusses some of these findings. :unsure:

#16 AFJ

AFJ

AFJ

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts
  • Interests:Bible, molecular biology, chemistry, mineralogy, geology, eschatology, history, family
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:12 PM

Posted Image

Here's an image to scale. Looks like they did quite a bit of work before letting it out to the press. The video was very intriguing. Definitely a man made structure.

I really haven't read alot on this. AiG is being very careful. It would be really cool if it was a boat though. Maybe a few uniforms would look at limestone and the mid oceanic ridge a little differently.

I'm wondering if the large open areas had floors in them at one time (the ark was supposed to have had three main decks). You can see some kind of separations. Time will tell.

I would imagine they will have to be very careful with the ice. If they don't do it right they might destroy the structure. I wonder what a 14C measurement would get.

#17 Guest_Eocene_*

Guest_Eocene_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:12 PM

Here's an image to scale.  Looks like they did quite a bit of work before letting it out to the press.  The video was very intriguing.  Definitely a man made structure.

I really haven't read alot on this.  AiG is being very careful.  It would be really cool if it was a boat though.  Maybe a few uniforms would look at limestone and the mid oceanic ridge a little differently.

I'm wondering if the large open areas had floors in them at one time (the ark was supposed to have had three main decks).  You can see some kind of separations.  Time will tell. 

I would imagine they will have to be very careful with the ice.  If they don't do it right they might destroy the structure.  I wonder what a 14C measurement would get.

View Post

Unfortunately as time goes on, more and more evidence and logically put forth questions are indicating this to be a set up hoax. Here's some written comments from even a Biblical research site.

Noah’s Ark Discovered Again? - biblearchaeology.org

Ex-Colleague: Expedition Faked Noah's Ark Find

Now in that first link I gave (biblearchaeology.org) there is one paragraph which is listed as # 3 in a line of important questions that should be asked. Here's that paragraph.

3.  Most geologists believe this mountain was formed in relatively recent times, i.e., after the Flood.  It is a complex volcano with no clearly discernible layers of sedimentation that would have been laid down by flood waters.

In view of this question and factual statement, then we also have this to back it up and it makes very much sense.

Global Volcanism Program - Ararat

The location of this huge area of volcanism located in eastern Turkey is important with regard the mechanisms for the flood and ancient Edenic hydrological mechanisms, but I'll have to actually open up another specific thread to deal with that. But it is crucial. :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users