Photo

National Public Radio Program Suing Real Science Friday!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2466 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

See the New York Post story here.

Fred

#2 Xanifred

Xanifred

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Middle Tennessee

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

What did you expect? You cannot start a burger chain and call it "Real McDonald's," why did you imagine you could appropriate the name of a popular radio show with no consequences?

#3 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2466 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

There is a huge difference between a distinctive, unique name, and a generic name. Fortunately for us, Trademark laws also make this distinction.

Ironically, I worked for a company named McDATA that got sued by McDonalds... The burger chain lost (apparently they sue anyone that puts 'Mc' in their name).

Fred

#4 MarkForbes

MarkForbes

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Waverley

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

It's just a different combinations of generic words. As long as it isn't exactly the same combination, they got no case. But I guess they just try "legal" intimidation or a shakedown by blowing up legal cost. But it could turn out as good PR as well (not for them).

#5 Xanifred

Xanifred

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Middle Tennessee

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

I'm no lawyer, but it does seem like a stretch to add the word "real" to an existing brand and claim it's not infringement. However, you might be right that trademark law doesn't cover this, I really wouldn't know. It's not a chance I'd take, personally, but that's neither here nor there. It will be interesting to see how this case unfolds.

In the meantime, you have managed to attract the attention of a whole lot of science geeks and NPR SciFri fans like myself. Not sure if that's what you intended, but here we are!

#6 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts
  • Interests:Completed BBiotech (Honours)

Currently studying Masters of Teaching.

Enjoys games of tactics and strategy.
  • (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

I'm no lawyer, but it does seem like a stretch to add the word "real" to an existing brand and claim it's not infringement. However, you might be right that trademark law doesn't cover this, I really wouldn't know. It's not a chance I'd take, personally, but that's neither here nor there. It will be interesting to see how this case unfolds. In the meantime, you have managed to attract the attention of a whole lot of science geeks and NPR SciFri fans like myself. Not sure if that's what you intended, but here we are!

So they trademarked the words "Science" and "Friday"? :P

#7 Xanifred

Xanifred

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Middle Tennessee

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

So they trademarked the words "Science" and "Friday"? :P/>

I don't know if it's trademarked, but it certainly seems possible to trademark the combination. Like Office Depot, or Home Depot, or any number of other unique business names made up of a combination of generic terms. Borders Books. Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

You get the idea.

Of course, NPR's SciFri isn't a business, and like I said, I have no idea if they trademarked it or not. We'll have to wait and see how it plays out in court.

#8 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

• (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

If they have I guess all the schools and universities cannot have science classes on fridays lest they be liable... :D

#9 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2466 posts
  • Christian
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

A good, balanced article appeared on page 2 in this last Sunday's Denver Post edition:

http://www.denverpos...-science-friday

#10 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2466 posts
  • Christian
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

* UPDATE -- National Public Radio Program Lawsuit Settled: "Bob Enyart Live has changed the name of its science program to resolve a trademark disagreement," said Bob, with the new name being Real Science Radio. (RSR will be available here at KGOV.com like always, and also at realscienceradio.com.) Fred Williams added that, "The trademark suit was settled to the satisfaction of all parties."

#11 Xanifred

Xanifred

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Middle Tennessee

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

Huh. So the lawsuit was settled by you guys changing the name of your radio show. Imagine that.

Why, it's almost as if you had no legal right to use the name "real science friday." And yet you were so very very certain that the lawsuit was frivolous because "science friday" is merely a generic combination of generic words . . . kinda makes you wonder how many other things you might be wrong about, regardless of your degree of certainty. Posted Image

#12 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

• (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

Huh. So the lawsuit was settled by you guys changing the name of your radio show. Imagine that. Why, it's almost as if you had no legal right to use the name "real science friday." And yet you were so very very certain that the lawsuit was frivolous because "science friday" is merely a generic combination of generic words . . . kinda makes you wonder how many other things you might be wrong about, regardless of your degree of certainty. Posted Image

For someone who stomped out in a huff (leaving many questions unanswered) its amusing to see your (implied snide) comments here

#13 Xanifred

Xanifred

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Middle Tennessee

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

I left no questions unanswered. You just don't want to hear the answers.

But I'm happy to hear that I am amusing you. If only you were as willing to be educated as to be amused, you might learn something from my above post.

#14 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

• (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

I left no questions unanswered. You just don't want to hear the answers. But I'm happy to hear that I am amusing you. If only you were as willing to be educated as to be amused, you might learn something from my above post.

You're kidding right.....

So this never happened and was replied to? When you look at the thread history you disappear after this.

http://evolutionfair...ost&p=87604

Notably... (if you read the previous dialogue it makes more sense)

"Additionally you failed to actually address my post and put forth the actual foundation of accountability for your brand of morals... Don't think that making accusations will make people forget that you didn't even tackle the issue which is a glaring ommission at this point, since it paints the picture that these accusations were merely used as a diversionary "tactic"."

Or how about this one?

http://evolutionfair...ost&p=87466

This

http://evolutionfair...ost&p=87708

followed by

http://evolutionfair...ost&p=87712

And finally this

http://evolutionfair...ost&p=87561

I can't be bothered looking for more however these are only posts in which I have directly replied to you and are yet to be replied by you, so your claims of leaving no question unanswered is absolutely false.... Also never said you were amusing me so not sure how that fits, or perhaps you mention it as a line-up for your snide remark... (Which is ironic and hypocritical since you were complaining about such things before).

As far as getting "educated" goes, the proof is in the pudding, read the links I have posted. If your replies denotes what being "educated" is, then quite frankly I don't want anything to do with it.
  • Salsa and Calypsis4 like this

#15 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

• (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:35 AM

Lol did realise I mentioned amusing, however it was in the context of your snide remarks, which are hypocritical when compared to what you have complained about, rather than the discussions in general.

It's the atheists inability to hold fast to the expectations they place on others which I find amusing, sad but amusing.

#16 Stripe

Stripe

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, cricket, earthquakes.
  • Christian
  • Taipei, Taiwan.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Guys, if you want to debate an issue, find a thread and do it rationally. Arguing about who left when and didn't say what is really boring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users