Dave

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Central California

Posted 02 December 2005 - 05:33 PM

One of my favorite "Hidden Treasures in the Bible" occurs early in the Old Testement ... in fact, in Genesis Chapter 5.

You say, "Oh no, Dave. Not that boring genealogy stuff! I always skip over those parts of the Bible."

Not so fast! Here in Genesis 5 is a good reason to belive that every word in the Bible is there for a purpose. One of the most beautiful and meaningful love letters from God to his people is contained in this "boring" list of names for the line of descendency from Adam to Noah.

By the way, I'm heavily indebted to my favorite Bible teacher, Chuck Missler, for this discovery. All the credit goes to him for this bit of wisdom ... and to God, of course.

OK. The names in Genesis 5 is a list of literal persons from the first Adam to Noah. If one translates the meaning of the names by digging out their Hebrew roots, this is what the names mean.

Adam -- From adomah, means "man."

Seth -- Means "appointed," since Eve said at his birth, "For God has appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew."

Enosh -- From the root anash, which means "mortal," "frail," or "miserable."

Kenan -- Can mean "sorrow," "dirge," or ,"elegy."

Mahalalel -- From mahalal, which means "blessed" or "praise," plus el, the name for God.

Jared -- From the verb yaradh, meaning "shall come down."

Enoch -- Means "teaching."

Methuselah -- From two roots, muth, which means "death," and shalach, which means "to bring" or "to send forth." (You might recall that Enoch was given the prophecy that the flood would not come until Methuselah had died; which indeed was the case.)

Lamech -- Means "lament" or "lamentations," which suggests "despairing."

Noah -- Derived from nacham, which means "to bring relief" or "comfort."

If you are still wondering what the big deal is, put together the meanings of the names in the order of their listing in the genealogy:

"Man is appointed mortal sorrow. The blessed God shall come down, teaching that His death shall bring the despairing rest, or comfort."

Isn't that beautiful? This really proves that the Bible is an integrated message system given to us supernaturally by God.

If you are skeptical, try to imagine this being contrived by the early Hebrew writers. First, someone would have to arrange the births of these important historical figures in the right order, and give them the right names, all over several centuries of time. And second, why would Hebrew scribes want to introduce into their sacred Pentateuch a message about a Savior that they had rejected?

Now, I'll tell you that there are similar discoveries to be made in other genealogies in both the Old and New Testements. Every list of names is there for a specific purpose beyond just making a list of names to fill space ... as if God was being paid by the word. Try it and see.

Finally, as Mr. Missler often says, Jesus Christ can be found on every page of the Bible. If I tell you that Jesus is mentioned by name in Genesis even before Genesis 5, would you be able to find out where? And no, it's not Genesis 3:15. That's too easy and obvious.

Let me know what you think.

In His name,

Dave

#2 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2479 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:00 PM

Hello Dave,

I also am a fan of Missler, he is a master of Hidden treasures in the Bible. I had actually seen his Gen 5 one before, I also thought it was awesome. Nothing to build doctrine off of, of course, but it is amazing the things that pop out such as this.

Interestingly, the next hidden treasure I want to post here is one I first read in Missler’s newsletter, and it also involves genealogies but not in the same way of your example. It involves the Book of Esther. I hope to post it soon. If you get a chance, read the one I posted on the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, it is one of my favorites.

I’m curious to hear the answer to your closing question.

In Christ,
Fred

#3 Dave

Dave

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Christian
  • Central California

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:53 AM

Hi Fred,

Ah yes ... Chuck Missler. If you are a regular partaker of Chuck Missler Bible studies then you'll already know most of the "Hidden Treasures" that I'll be mentioning. What I would like to see is for somebody to write a book that contains every "Its interesting ..." that Mr. Missler mentions during his studies. That's where those little gems of treasure come from. You know you are in for a treat when he starts out with, "It's interesting ..."

The answer to the last question of my previous post is more of a personal insight, one of those beautiful little occurrences that fills one with so much comfort that the Bible is indeed the word of God.

If you've listened to Mr. Missler's Genesis study you'll know that he spends the whole first session on the first few words in Gen 1:1. "In the beginning God ..." There is so much in just those first words! It's well known that the word God (Elohim in Hebrew) is an ungrammatical disagreement between the subject and verb. Elohim is in the plural, and should be read "Gods," meaning, of course, God the Father, son and Holy Spirit. God wanted readers to know right from the beginning what He was about.

That's interesting enough. But God really hits home the point with the little untranslated aleph and tau after His name. Moses, as he penned Genesis for God, inked in the first and last letters of the Hebrew alphabet. I'm not a Hebrew scholar by any means, so I don't understand the reason for the untranslated form of Hebrew letters, but I understand that it is not uncommon.

As the scribes copied the original, they included the aleph-tau, but translators have left it out. (Interestingly, you can see the aleph-tau in the Hebrew Interlinear Bible, but it is after the word "created.") Putting it back in, it should read, "In the beginning God, the aleph and tau, created ..." The aleph and tau is equivalent to the Greek alpha and omega. Who in the Bible is often referred to as the Alpha and Omega? Jesus Christ, of course. God wanted to make sure that man understood that Jesus himself is the creator of the heavens and the earth.

That's why to think otherwise is blasphemous. That's why evolution is such a dangerous proposition for man to consider.

[preach]One of Mr. Misser's favorite sayings is that if anyone has a problem with, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth," they have bigger problems than just not agreeing with the first few words in the Bible. It sets the stage for a belief and a worldview that leads ultimately away from eternity with Christ. Which, of course, is what we are seeing happen these days with the almost universal acceptance of the evolution philosophy.[/preach]

I read your "Tree of knowledge of good and evil" post. I had the same thought as I was reading it as 92q did. The way into the Garden was guarded by armed Cherubim. It seems unlikely that anyone would be able to enter the Garden, much less chop down the tree. I'll give that some thought.

In Christ,

Dave

#4 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:03 PM

I had originally heard of this through the “Quick Study” program. Rod Hembre was quick to give Chuck Missler the credit for it though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users